+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Server Upgrade - Server 2008 R2 and Database migration in Technical; Hello everyone, I was just wondering if it is possible for SIMS.net to run on Server 2008 R2 as we ...

Thank Post

SIMS Server Upgrade - Server 2008 R2 and Database migration

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if it is possible for SIMS.net to run on Server 2008 R2 as we need to upgrade our current SIMS box from Server 2003 R2 Standard due to needing more than 4GB RAM in order to effectively run SIMS Discover.

Our local authority have recommended Server 2008 Enterprise x86 but I would like to get the SIMS server onto Server 2008 R2 is possible.

What is the best/easiest way to move the SIMS database over from the old server to the new server?

Thanks.

J. Worth.

Thank Post
    Not just possible, but preferable now (and has been for some time). Don't stick 2008 on it, and absolutely not x86, that's mad! Put on the server version with the longest service life to give you breathing space.

Database migration is pretty straightforward, stopping the service, working with dbattach and migrating the files over. I can't give an in-depth guide as our LA support did most of that side.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    As above, easy and should be done. Quite a few threads on here if you search for the process. You can play around until you're happy it's worked. I'd recommend going virtual too if you can.
    Basically set up server and sql, fully patch, download the installable iso from supportnet to set up a sims system. Then drop your backup over the top. don't even need to detach db or anything. just use dbattach to restore a .bak file backup from current system. copy docstorage and sims folders. tell sims where new docstorage is. tell all clients where new sims is, you may have to mess around with connect.ini on local machine, or at least remap a new S drive.
    Just try it out on a virtual setup at least even if you have to reuse your existing box ultimately.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread