+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, ePortal & Homework Monitoring in Technical; Hi Ive been approached by the DH to look into the possibilty of an online homework monitoring system. The teacher ...
    Thank Post

ePortal & Homework Monitoring

Hi

Ive been approached by the DH to look into the possibilty of an online homework monitoring system.

The teacher would have the ability to assign homework to specific teaching groups during the lesson, and also set a due date. The teacher then gets a live alert when the homework is due. When the students hand the homework in the teacher can mark against the students who have handed it in, and those who havent.

A report can the be generated to see those students who are/are not completing homework

Is it possible to cobble something together with existing FACILITY & ePortal features?

thanks in advance

Mark

Thank Post

Re: ePortal & Homework Monitoring

You could use the assessments area to record homework set/received and the mark etc (marksheet style)... however I cant think of any way of informing automatically that a due date is approaching...

This is probably one for the developers at serco to add to the wish list.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Moodle does this :P

Thank Post

well not only Moodle but also OLAT (Online Learning And Training, see http://www.olat.org), a Swiss open source project, does this. You can either let the students randomly choose an assignment, let the student pick an assignment or assign them yourself. You can set time-limits and you get noticed when the student submitted an assignment. Then you can give grades or points and in the end generate Excel files with all the results (and the passed/failed comment). Have fun!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ah interesting Joel - Maybe that's what was shown on Teachers TV recently - looked very good

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Moodle does this :P
    How? Do you have the name of a module/component ??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    How? Do you have the name of a module/component ??
    Are students submitting the work electronically? If not then I don't think Moodle is capable of doing what you want although I could be wrong.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Are students submitting the work electronically? If not then I don't think Moodle is capable of doing what you want although I could be wrong.
    What we need is a 'portal' whereby teachers can enter 'n' class has homework set, when it was set, when it is due, and then parents can access it to see what their kids have to do. The idea is to replace the paper based planners that the kids currently use as they either get lost, aren't used, or are not checked by teachers.

Essentially, an electronic diary, if you like.

We hope to achieve this via a web page...

Thank Post
    If work is being submitted electronically then Moodle will do what you need. If students are handing in paper based homework then I don't think there is the option for the tutor to mark homework as received.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 22nd January 2008 at 11:33 AM.

theeldergeek
    If work is being submitted electronically then Moodle will do what you need. If students are handing in paper based homework then I don't think there is the option for the tutor to mark homework as received.
    It's not for marking homework, it's for seeing what homework has been allocated

At the moment, the 'kids' have planners (diaries in effect) where they write in which homework they have, and when it is due.

The planners are checked by not only teachers, but parents.

We are finding that the kids are either losing planners, not completely them, that they are not being checked - ad infinitum

So, we have been asked to find an 'electronic' solution which can be updated and accessed via the web (how this will ensure consistency of checking, I don't know, but it justifies our dept for a while longer )

A teacher would log in and add homework 'to do', whereas students and their parents can also see which homework has been set.

A 'beta' is at http://www.ringmer.e-sussex.sch.uk/h....php?class=610 although no-one can log in and check the back end so far as i'm aware - sorry.

I did a search on Sourceforge, and turned up this http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...mework+monitor

However, we don't (yet) want a system for electronic submission of homework, or electronic marking.

We were hoping for one or two alternative solutions, if there are any, and when someone popped up and said "moodle can", i was keen to learn how.

hope that clarifies things?
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 22nd January 2008 at 02:27 PM.

Thank Post
    It makes perfect sense. I know I keep coming back to Moodle but it's the only system I'm familiar with. With Moodle work doesn't have to be submitted electronically so you could just use it to let students, and their parents, know what homework they have and they could still hand in any homework to their teachers on paper. As far as I am aware it also integrates with Active Directory.

It's not for marking homework, it's for seeing what homework has been allocated
    By marking I meant keeping track of who has handed in their homework.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 22nd January 2008 at 02:37 PM.

theeldergeek
    It makes perfect sense. I know I keep coming back to Moodle but it's the only system I'm familiar with. With Moodle ... you could just use it to let students, and their parents, know what homework they have and they could still hand in any homework to their teachers on paper. As far as I am aware it also integrates with Active Directory.
    We LOVE Moodle, and use it for our E-Learning Portal, so please, please, give me some clue as to how this can be achieved using such?

Thanks a mill...

Thank Post

Use a VLE

To meet those sort of requirements you really need to use a VLE, there is no way of doing this through eportal.

Thank Post

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jpshephard View Post
    To meet those sort of requirements you really need to use a VLE, there is no way of doing this through eportal.
    Moodle is a VLE!!! Although im not saying you should use Moodle for this homework stuff, im undecided yet, im trying to achieve something similar for my School, I already have a Moodle installation up and running but I will be checking some of the other projects that have been mentioned here because I cant yet find a simple clean way that Moodle can help us manage homework as we want. I dont mean to hijack this topic or anything but what we're trying to do is a slight variation; we want a homework system that is:

- Accessable online
    - Teachers can login and add their own homework-tasks/assignments
    - Students (or Parents) can simply view the homework task set
    - Below the task description will be a file-upload form for students to submit their completed work thats then stored on the server.

I haven't spent long enough trying to tweak Moodle so I'll go do that now...

15. Thanks to Nightwalker from:

mrtechsystems (29th April 2008)

Thank Post
    We want to achieve the same thing, and I've been looking at Pearson e1 as it seems to allow teachers to do this. I'd like a system that uses a page the teacher will already have opened to take the register, log behaviour/ praise etc. Seems like a significant gap for Serco. I did ask them about this at BETT and they said ePortal doesn't do it, but you could do it through their VLE.
    I need it simple if I'm going to expect teachers to add it to the long list of other things they are also required to do every lesson (electronic register, log behaviour, praise, specify learning objects, etc,etc, ... oh and teach...)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast