+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Running SIMS on CC4 Curriculum Network. Database is stored on seperate Admin Network. in Technical; I am hoping this is a common project. The school I work at had two domains. An Admin one which ...
    Thank Post

Running SIMS on CC4 Curriculum Network. Database is stored on seperate Admin Network.

I am hoping this is a common project.

The school I work at had two domains.

An Admin one which finance \ reception \ admin staff use. This is a vanilla Windows 2k3 domain. This domain contains the SIMs installation. All in all we have about 5 workstations only on this domain.

There is a seperate CC4 curriculum domain as well which is what all teachers and student machines are connected to. It's fairly heavily locked down and is on a seperate IP range from the admin domain.

What I was wondering is what is the best way to give the teachers on the CC4 domain access to SIMs so they can start taking registers and the various other bits and bobs that the sole reception lady currently has to do every day.

Any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well the split network model is now outdated and lots of schools (mine included) merged their networks to provide easy access to SIMS for the staff. The admin machines were just moved to the curriculum domain.
    If you don't want to do this then you could investigate a trust between the domains?

Thank Post
    We allow the sql traffic and the docstorage traffic via the Vlan controller and then simply install the FAT client onto curric machines. There is a process(manual) to copy the updated setups folder after each upgrade.

Thank Post
    My old school had this set up years ago and when myself and the current network manager came in we scrapped it. We found the best way was to put everyone on RM and install SIMS on all PCs, this way staff could access SIMS from any PC in school. There isnt really a need to have 2 seperate networks as admin staff can still do everything on a CC4 machine if you give them the correct access. Not sure if this is an option for you but it certainly worked well for us.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread