+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Access to Marksheet for all users in Technical; Hi everyone I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I am about to create one marksheet which all of ...

Thank Post

Access to Marksheet for all users

Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I am about to create one marksheet which all of my local users need to be able to see. What's the best way of doing this? In my opinion, SIMS relies far too much on the pastoral or academic structure and I can't just grant read-only access to whomever I chose, regardless of how good the business case is!

Any advice appreciated please before I start Nesting If Then Else ing.... (thank god they included a Copy function on that!).....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    The not very elegant or secure solution some use is to just give everyone Assessment Operator rights, but that relies on lots of training and trust in the staff to ensure they don't change the structure or alter something they shouldn't.

A workaround is to create a UDG for all kids and assign all staff as supervisors of that group. Whenever new staff join you have to add them to the group, and also you need to maintain the group to add new kids, old ones don't affect it. I know you love UDGs This way, you just assign your DIY whole school group to whichever marksheet templates you want.

There are probably other workarounds of a similar nature, like create a new course, which has all year groups in it, then assign permissions to that course. I think this way the kids may be maintained, if you tick the correct boxes for auto-update.

If you really want to be daring, create a custom permissions group based on Assessment Operator, and strip out permissions for editing and other dangers, but i don't think that's easy, and the permissions aren't clear or easy to work with.

I have a permissions group, that allows staff to just read results. That's all. This combined with a report that displays results, allows them to access the data but via the reporting engine - this could be an option for you.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

CarpeDiem (9th June 2012)

Thank Post
    access.png
    If you click on/look at the picture you will see that I have changed the permissons for the Class Teacher group so that all staff can view all mark sheets from Focus>Assessment>Marksheet entry. It works well here.
    Last edited by number34; 11th June 2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Picture too small

5. Thanks to number34 from:

vikpaw (11th June 2012)

Thank Post
    We use a similar system to @vikpaw, but create a dynamic discover group with all the year groups in and then assign all the staff as supervisors, this way we can add a marksheet for the discover group to give all staff access to the a marksheet. When new pupils arrive/leave discover will automatically update the group memberships.

7. Thanks to wpjon from:

CarpeDiem (3rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Update on this - it's been a manic couple of months including a great holiday to Canada (whoops did I just mention that? ;o)) - Vikpaw many thanks, I decided on a UDG with the additional admin malarky of adding new kiddies. wpjon - thanks for the discover tip, when we have discover I'll certainly look into that as autoupdating would be a dream. Oh, I love this forum!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Focus | System Manager | Manage Groups
    or something like that.
    i would clone the class teacher group as class teacher assessment or something, then make the change so you can test on a few users.

edit: ok now it's answering the Q below!
    Last edited by vikpaw; 19th March 2014 at 12:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Number34

Can you tell me how I can addin the Class Teacher group as a permission holder for this please

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread