+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS.NET using PC at front of classroom and projector use. in Technical; I have finally convinced the head to install a pc in all teaching rooms to drive the projector and smart ...
    Thank Post

SIMS.NET using PC at front of classroom and projector use.

I have finally convinced the head to install a pc in all teaching rooms to drive the projector and smart board - enabling easier transition for teachers when they have to move from room to room. As currently they have to carry a laptop round all day.

However the head is insisting that staff only access SIMS.NET from their laptop using a different network point elsewhere in the room.
    The concern from the head is using SIMS.NET lesson monitor and potentially displaying any sensitive data on the screen for all the kids to see. I have explained the projector can be switched off, they can freeze the screen or alternatively they can unplug the projector cable from the machine/wall.
    Asking staff to still carry round their laptops from room to room seems like a poor use of resources.

DOES ANYONE ELSE USE SIMS ON A PC WHICH DRIVES THE BOARD AND PROJECTOR? If so how do you make sure that staff do not project SIMS up for all to see?! Has anyone had any instances where this has happened?

Thank Post

Re: SIMS.NET using PC at front of classroom and projector use.

i know of a school up here that does that and i dont think that they have got round that problem yet. Is there not an option in SIMS where you could set up a specific user ONLY for lessonsthat can ONLY access lesson monitor. There fore the teacher can use their laptop at their desk and lock the laptop whenever they are away from it. You could place a VGA splitter in each room.

Thank Post

Re: SIMS.NET using PC at front of classroom and projector us

You could setup multiple monitors then use SIMS on the pc/laptops screen and then whatever they want on the board on the projector screen.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

At our school, every classroom has one teacher computer. This was primarily for SIMS E-Registration. Those who have whiteboards also use this computer.

The concern from the head is using SIMS.NET lesson monitor and potentially displaying any sensitive data on the screen for all the kids to see.
    What sensitive data? From what I can see, Lesson Register/Monitor simply shows every students' surname and forename in that class. If a member of staff was to go into student details and show their address or other records to the whole class, then said staff member would be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

Staff should be made aware of the "No Show/Blank" function on the projectors.

Thank Post

Marking registers on whiteboards is becoming common practice and has a huge positive impact on class attendance. I have seen examples in primary and secondary schools. SIMS contains permissions that control access to sensitive data - if you are allowed to access sensitive data you are presumably trusted.

Thank Post

We have been using staff laptops hooked up to Projectors & Interactive Whiteboards to run lesson monitor for 4 years now, every teaching space (50+) in my school is used this way. Most staff display the lesson monitor screen on the whiteboard & students can see their registration 'marks' as they are entered by the staff. GPO prevents students from logging onto staff PCs.

SIMS.net does allow staff to access student data, and as you might expect some of this is sensitive & confidential in its nature. Periodically I remind staff that their failure to protect the data could lead them to being subject to disciplinary action by the school and they could even face criminal prosecution under the Data Protection Act. So far we have managed to avoid either. It's a matter of staff training and discipline to ensure PCs are locked when staff are not in attendance. I have had to warn one or two staff that I will implement an automatic 'lock' if they don't follow the rules. Your HT needs to trust his/her staff.

Thank Post

This is good information I am reading here we are about to go to Lesson by Lesson Monitor and I asked the question about displaying the data on the IWB

Just wanted to say thanks

Come ppl add more coments much appericated

Thank Post

Nice to know other people use the main classroom pc with SIMS without issues.

Next step is to convince the head to let me implement it...

Thank Post

Yes, there is of course the risk that a teacher could accidentally show something the class shouldn't see, but this is the case with any projected image, not just SIMS.

They could accidentally open up their student reports rather than the Word file they intended, or browse a folder looking for a file and as well as "Year 7 Lesson on Electricity.doc" the students might see a file called "Letter to Johnny's Parents About Bad Language.doc".

It's a common sense question. Use projectors, just use them sensibly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Freeze button on projector, then freeze on the lesson objective and take the register. Remember security is cultural, physical and technology based.

Thank Post

Your head is over super cautious, and really has absolutely no faith in his teaching staff. He thinks they are all imbeciles. I mean come on, all you really need to do is tell the teachers, this is important you cannot have it displayed. Use the hide button on a projector to temporarily stop showing images then carry on after.

Asking staff to carry laptops add expense time, and problems. Start quoting the savings to be made from not having to have 2 pc's per staff member.

Or switch the projector off?

We do this here with SIMS.net on about 40 classrooms with projectors problem free

fooby

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

We don't have classroom machines, but the laptops have sims on which the teachers use, and they used to use it for e-registration (they don't now due to fire drill questions with e-registration). The staff simply don't use it when they are displaying on the projector, it is pretty obvious really.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We have Teacher PCs hooked up to projectors and the Head is keen for staff to use Lesson Monitor displayed onto the screen for kids to see. Something about it being good for the kids to be involved and to encourage good attendance.

Thank Post

Thats an interesting take on it - I wounder if the head would think about it that way...

Thank Post

We display lesson monitor too. The students see the fact that we know what lessons they have skived.

Instills some fear in them

fooby

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread