+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Ahhh Capita, golden advice as always in Technical; We run two domains, but that's because we were two schools and are now one. The two domains trust each ...

Thank Post
    We run two domains, but that's because we were two schools and are now one. The two domains trust each other and obviously our SIMS server can only be in one of the domains. We have users on both campuses running SIMS with trusted logins and updating clients when there's an upgrade with no problems at all. Hopefully over the summer we'll be going to one domain......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattHarwood View Post
    So SLT have brought in some Capita sales reps this afternoon to talk about using "SIMs in the classroom" for attendance, and assessment etc. Three of them came, in fact. Strength in numbers...

I bit pretty early on - "our SIMs installation is on our Admin network, and classroom computers are on our Curriculum network, for a very very good reason. How can these interact?".

Their suggestion: Oh don't worry! About a thing! All you need to do is merge the two networks - it's really easy

I walked out a few minutes later with a muttered excuse.

/rant
    It is easy if you plan it right. If re-IP ranging etc is a nightmare, then you can look at RemoteApps - might be cheaper if curriculum machines aren't up for the job of running SIMS. Loads of options open. Just hope they didn't say it's free... it costs (remember your time is money). Make sure they know if they do it you'll need time to set it up - even if a 3rd party does it, you need to update your documents and understanding - as well as testing the solution is actually secure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    the main prob ive found is i cant remember the last time i diddnt have to manually update pcs everytime sims is updated on the server its like it just dosent check for updates anymore and just complains about incompatible database. I still dont get why attendance cant be run from a webpage its just adding a few values to an sql database
    I just tell the staff to open SIMS.NET from All Programs after an update, rather than using a shortcut. I get the odd one who doesn't understand but on the whole, it works.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,410 Times in 1,167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BatchFile View Post
    Make sure that your shortcuts are pointing to
    Code:
    c:\program files\sims\sims .net\simsload.exe  c:\program files\sims\sims .net\pulsar.exe
    and that the simssetupsfolder in c:\windows\sims.ini is set to the right place. As long as both of those are ok and your users have appropriate permissions on the local machine, all should be well.
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    You mean pulsar in the second path
    Adjusted :O)

SimsLoad checks for updates and runs them. Pulsar will actually run SIMS, after the update is done (if it was required).

As for classroom access, networks: flatten them, otherwise look into a web based solution which is much easier to manage. SLG - which might be dear and a bit overkill, but gives lots of other options, or one of the other third parties, such as TASC. TeachersWebFolder from Bromcom...

Thank Post
    Then after you have binned SLG, take a look at TASC Software PARS & Pars Connect
    Attendance, Attainment etc all in a web interface....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,945 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The blasť attitude towards merging networks aside, they kinda have a point. SIMS.net is no longer a tool purely used by the admin team - it has a role in the classroom for a whole host of things. Your network should be built around the needs of the users, and security in place around that, rather than looking from a position of 'this is what we do now, i don't want to change' (this is the impression I get from the OPs first post).

There is no real need for split networks any more - it is an artificial divide that shouldn't really exist!

However, have you thought about putting in a terminal server and running SIMS.net off that instead? That way you don't have to deploy SIMS.net to any machines.

7. Thanks to localzuk from:

AWicher (29th May 2012)

Thank Post
    We're taking the single flat network plunge next summer. At the same time we're introducing a different, and much larger IP range to address future demands. A fair amount of work, but a nice project to get my teeth into. The last link in a 3 summer development plan.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also make sure that your sims.ini file on each client is pointing to your current SIMS Server if not it won't pick up any updates.

Wes

Thank Post
    right finaly in a school with this problem looks like my sims.ini is a bit light its just

[Setup]
    SIMSDotNetDirectory=C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net

can someone post up a more corret one please as it looks like the update line has gone walkies

infact scratch that, that appears to be just this pc checked a few others an updatedir is f:\.....
    Last edited by sted; 29th May 2012 at 08:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    *snip*
    have you thought about putting in a terminal server and running SIMS.net off that instead? That way you don't have to deploy SIMS.net to any machines.
    The cost of this can be quite high depending on clients, CALS etc. I do agree though that one network should be the way forward for everyone, however some people have management that wont let them...me in my last place for example...had to be 2 networks as the HT was sold by her friend that having 2 networks meant the children could not gain access to anything from the staff...from then we had to buy a new server and offload the kids onto it. No matter how much myself or the 3 academies near us tried to convince her she wouldn't have it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    The cost of this can be quite high depending on clients, CALS etc. I do agree though that one network should be the way forward for everyone, however some people have management that wont let them...me in my last place for example...had to be 2 networks as the HT was sold by her friend that having 2 networks meant the children could not gain access to anything from the staff...from then we had to buy a new server and offload the kids onto it. No matter how much myself or the 3 academies near us tried to convince her she wouldn't have it.
    Under EES, you'd pay about £3 or so for each RDS CAL - and you pay for the number of fulltime staff you have, but get unlimited licenses, or under SELECT they're about £5 or so each. A server would be what, £2k for this sort of thing? And a Windows Server license at about £30 IIRC. So, not very expensive in the scheme of things, especially when you do a cost-benefit analysis of it compared to deploying the client everywhere and then having to support all those installations.

right finaly in a school with this problem looks like my sims.ini is a bit light its just

[Setup]
    SIMSDotNetDirectory=C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net

can someone post up a more corret one please as it looks like the update line has gone walkies

infact scratch that, that appears to be just this pc checked a few others an updatedir is f:\.....

So you have something to compare:
    [Setup]
    SIMSDirectory=S:\SIMS
    SIMSSetupsDirectory=\\server\network\SIMS\Setups
    SIMSDotNetDirectory=C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net
    SIMSSQLAppsDirectory=d:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn
    Folder=Sims Applications
    FinanceDirectory=C:\Program Files\SIMS\Finance
    OfflineSQLAppsDirectory=d:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn
    SIMSDiscoverDirectory=C:\Program Files\SIMS\Discover Client\
    [InstallationLogs]
    SIMSApplicationSetup.exe=C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1 \Temp\2\SIMSApplicationSetup.log
    SIMSSQLApplicationSetup.exe=C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCAL S~1\Temp\3\SIMSSQLApplicationSetup.log
    SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe=C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCAL S~1\Temp\2\SIMSInfrastructureSetup.log
    [Machine]
    Infrastructure=1.00
    [NOVA-MC]
    CurrAcadYear=2008
    PulsarLocation=C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net
    CurrentTip=0
    LoadAcadYear=2008
    LastFile=S:\SIMS\SNOVA\NT6\2008\2008_2009D.SPL
    RecentFile:0=S:\SIMS\SNOVA\NT6\2008\2008_2009D.SPL
    RecentFile:1=
    RecentFile:2=
    RecentFile:3=
    RecentFile:4=
    RecentFile:5=
    RecentFile:6=
    RecentFile:7=

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

sted (29th May 2012)

Thank Post
    think i might try changing SIMSSetupsDirectory= to \\server rather than f: i suspect the problem in part is due to the sime server being on another network and just trusted

Thank Post
    I won't recommend copy sims.ini between machines as they are machine specfic, the one @localzuk posted for example is from his server - I hope - as it details the SQL path which shouldn't be present on the server.

All you need for a SIMS workstation is:
    [Setup]
    SIMSDirectory=S:\SIMS
    SIMSSetupsDirectory=\\server\network\SIMS\Setups

If you want the start menu folder to be something different then use:
    Folder=Sims Applications

I wouldn't recommend setting the SIMS Application directory either unless you're mixing 32bit and 64bit for FMS
    SIMSDotNetDirectory=C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    think i might try changing SIMSSetupsDirectory= to \\server rather than f: i suspect the problem in part is due to the sime server being on another network and just trusted
    Yeah, we find UNC paths work better than mapped drives - as our mapped drives randomly decide to 'disconnect' and have to be opened from My Computer randomly first. Only with the SIMS servers too none of the other shares do this.

Thank Post
    you will also need an entry for discover, when that is missing you will not see the icon in sims .net

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast