+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Do you think this is ethical? in Technical; On my MIS system some new functionality was added. Unfortunately it contains a serious defect which means that school staff ...

Thank Post

Do you think this is ethical?

On my MIS system some new functionality was added. Unfortunately it contains a serious defect which means that school staff may be presented with lists of students that are incorrect. These lists may very likely be used to identify students for intervention or other purpose where accuracy is essential. The supplier was informed of the defect in January and has acknowledged it to me with a fix due in the summer. However, despite several requests and being informed of my serious concern, they have failed to alert other schools of the problem or to list it on their website as a known problem.

Do you think this is ethical? Should I name and shame?

Thank Post
    Devils in the detail mate. It could only affect yourselves in which case, it could be a defect in your data, it could be a the way you've set up your system and the software can't cope. The fact you've said it won't be fixed until Summer makes me think it needs an application fix, but the fact it's generating lists - well that would be a database fix surely?

Go head "name and shame" as you put it. At least that way, if the company in question is on EduGeek, someone high up will get your case reviewed to ensure it was handled correctly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would argue, that if it is new functionality, you must have handled this in some way before, can you not return to that way and ignore this new feature until fixed? Not addressing the supplier issue, but addresses yours and your concerns.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I would argue, that if it is new functionality, you must have handled this in some way before, can you not return to that way and ignore this new feature until fixed? Not addressing the supplier issue, but addresses yours and your concerns.
    I have indeed ditched the new functionality, but what concerns me is that there are schools out there, relying on the data that is presented, blissfully unaware that is it wrong. This is the issue I am trying to raise. If the supplier is prepared to behave like this, what other horrors are being hidden from me?

By the way, yes, it requires an application build and I don't believe that it only affects our system.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wowbagger53 View Post
    I have indeed ditched the new functionality, but what concerns me is that there are schools out there, relying on the data that is presented, blissfully unaware that is it wrong. This is the issue I am trying to raise. If the supplier is prepared to behave like this, what other horrors are being hidden from me?

By the way, yes, it requires an application build and I don't believe that it only affects our system.
    It's difficult to test and confirm your suspicion unless you tell us what system you are talking about.
    If there is a mass of people requesting support for this issue then its much more likely to be resolved, the company involved will have more data to work with and the problem will be escalated quicker if it affects more people.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wowbagger53 View Post
    blissfully unaware that is it wrong
    If it's a major supplier who has at least 1 entire LA, I doubt that. More likely people know it's broken and haven't used it, or they've not bothered looking at it for whatever reason.
    Last edited by matt40k; 3rd May 2012 at 10:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Had you worded your original post differently, it would be a simple case of us saying 'please share your experience'. It shouldn't be a case of name and shame.
    You come here to share experience, best practise, gain support from peers. Regardless of the stance of the company, you can do that.
    I don't think it's an issue, nor would it reflect badly on the company.

Issues are quite often highlighted here for the first time, and often there is a legitimate reason for a delay in the fix.

Whatever the mechanics, if you think it's something that could help others in your situation highlight it. They can then make their own mind up. As matt said, it may even encourage the company to work on it quicker or notify other users through official channels.

If you're worried about whether or not you should, or how the company might react. PM me or one of the mods, and we can help and maybe even talk to the company offline.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread