+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Publishing Exam Results in SLG in Technical; I've been tasked with this and it keeps throwing up terrible surprises at every step. Example, recently tried to publish ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Publishing Exam Results in SLG

I've been tasked with this and it keeps throwing up terrible surprises at every step. Example, recently tried to publish results through the Student Record to find the contents of the exams aspects won't pull through full stop. Today I try to see wat effect an embargo has on Individual Report and the results set won't appear.

Has anyone ever published exam results to students via SLG?

Thank Post
    Yes they have and as far as I'm aware it all works. This is such a huge win I think I'd have heard. Who do you get support from?

Thank Post
    We dont publish exam results as the only way we provide exam results ala UCAS but students still come into school to collect their paper certificates. Once the exam results have been released we then make this information available to parents and students via the SLG.

Makes it useful when our students are completing CV's or UCAS forms so they know exactly which subjects they studied, exam board and grade achieved.

Thank Post
    Currently, 'you will need to create an individual report in Assessment Manager containing the exam result aspects and publish this to SLG.' However, this will not work during the embargo period. See: KB91944 - Is it possible for Parents and students to view Exams marksheet data

I did take part in a consultation about what we might require re. publishing Examination details directly to SLG from Exams Organiser. i.e. Exam Timetables, Exams Results Sheets etc. etc. I thought that this was going to appear in the SLG Roadmap at some stage but it is not included yet!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 18th April 2012 at 09:47 PM.

5. Thanks to Sivadam from:

CAM (19th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is an interesting topic and will very much be down to how the schools want to use such functionality. Comes into the ethos of the schools.

Schools we have worked with have made very good use of this feature, but some have decided not to use it completely (for results days, but do use it to see historical records) - Parents & Students alike.

Thank Post
    I should add to my post above that the Exam Results can be made to appear in the Assessment Panel of SLG but AM7 Templates need to be set up first - for all subjects and all Exam resultsets. They cannot currently be made available via Exams Organiser Marksheets! This latter option was also discussed in my consultation meeting with a member of Capita staff!

Bear in mind though that these Exam Aspects will not appear during the embargo and will also be in addition to any other normal AM7 Aspects that are being publisehd to this Panel!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 19th April 2012 at 07:30 AM.

Thank Post
    There was a very good presentation on how to set this up at the recent SIMS independent conference in March, and it is done through assessments. From the experience of the school and presenter they felt it worked very well. Other schools at the event were a little unsure on how they would implement as they feel the interaction with the students on results day is something of benefit if they are in need of support, or quite the opposite to share in the achievements of the students.

Thank Post
    Once we have the ability to Publish the Exam Results Report to SLG, our embargo will be set up so that it expires on the morning of the actual collection of the reports - probably at the exact time that the pupils are due to arrive to collect their reports.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So I will need to get the Individual Report set-up in advance, run it on results download day and publish it to SLG ready for the server to present it to parents in the morning when the embargo lifts? Wouldn't the embargo block the results from appearing in the Individual Report?

Thank Post
    Yes, using AM to publish the results would mean that the reports would have to be generated/published when there was no embargo in place, otherwise they will be blank. Temporarily lifting the embargo, generating the reports, and putting the embargo back would work, but would completely destroy the point of the embargo!

It would be much more convenient, as Mike says, to publish any exam info (timetables/results/entries) via the exams module. Nice to hear this is being discussed!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread