+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims Permissions in Technical; We have a problem with one user being unable to use the Options module as it won't save. The user ...

Thank Post

Sims Permissions

We have a problem with one user being unable to use the Options module as it won't save. The user has identical explicit permissions to the Options folder as another user who can use it with no problem. (The Sims user makes no difference, it's the windows log in that appears to effect the program).

It would be helpful to know the best practice permissions for the Sims root folder on the Sims server. This time last year Options worked for all users but we are unsure what has now changed with permissions that has caused this issue.

Thank Post
    Try deleting the user's profile (save it first so you can restore Favourites etc later). If you use roaming profiles you can remove the contents of the profile from the server copy plus make sure you delete any copies left on PCs. It'll then recreate itself when the user logs on.

Thank Post
    Just to check different Windows users too? Different machine? Or just different SIMS users?

Thank Post
    Person affected can log into SIMS on my PC when I am logged in to Windows, and it works ok. He cannot log in anywhere with his own Windows login.

Thank Post
    Was he/she EVER able to log into SIMS using their own Windows account?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,191 Posts
    You mean he can't login to SIMS at all? Not just Options?
    If it's SIMS, remap the S drive, it might be mapped wrong. or try running sims with the right click runas admin. To isolate what context they are accessing with. In fact do the same if its just Options anyway.
    For us, on SIMS share, 'everyone' has full share permissions, then i give read only NTFS permissions. Except people that need it, who can have modify on options / nova etc. folders.

Thank Post
    Ensure his user account/security group has either modify or full access to C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net and C:\WINDOWS\SIMS.ini

Thank Post
    I will try and explain everything that has happened - it's all related to Options.

Something was changed in the Sims Permissions a little while back (to attempt to cure a separate issue with Attendance Letters). We then came to log in to Options (first time since last year) and it was asking for a password. The technicians then gave us explicit permissions to the Options folder in Sims which cured the problem. I did the import from T6 which all went through OK and a few days later, the DHt (Timetabler) went into Options to create classes. It was at this point that he received the message - Unable to save as program in use by a different user.

If he logs in to any computer with his Windows login he gets the same error. I can quite happily log into to his computer and it will work for him on his Sims login.

Yesterday, the technician deleted and re-made his profile which I hoped would cure it, but he's still getting the same error. Capita can't really help as it's a obviously a problem with our network rather than Sims, so any ideas would be very welcome!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Looks like permissions: Check his S drive mapping, double check permissions to those folders, i.e. nova/ options see if he can edit. Use resultant permissions on admin side to see what's going on. Double check shares permissions. The most restrictive apply, so he must be restricted somehow.
    Can you take him out of all permissions groups or add him to admins for a test.?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthCoastSaint View Post
    Unable to save as program in use by a different user
    Sounds to me like the BDE has locked something. Try re-installing the 32bit BDE on your workstation.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread