+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS, 32bit windows and 64bit windows in Technical; A bit of a strange one here, something i thought i knew the answer too but some behaviour of sims ...
    Thank Post

SIMS, 32bit windows and 64bit windows

A bit of a strange one here, something i thought i knew the answer too but some behaviour of sims has confused me.

Installing SIMS on to 64bit windows 7, should it install itself into C:\Program Files (x86)\ like a good little 32bit program, or is there actually a 64bit install for this now?

On my PC which is Windows 7 Enteprise 64bit it's defaulted to C:\Program Files (x86)\ and runs fine, but on a teacher PC with 64bit windows another tech has installed it on it defaulted itself to C:\Program Files\ as if it's a 64bit program. Can someone confirm what is the correct behaviour of the sims installer?

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 869 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have SIMS running on 64 Bit machines [FMS only though: We use Serco Faclity/ePortal for our MIS]

When installing FMS I have to run the SIMS Infrastructure set up before I can deploy the rest of FMS. I mention this because our SIMS FMS helpdesk were at pains to point this out as we moved over to 64 Bit [I think the 64 Bit infrastructure architecture installer differences from the 32 Bit version. I will look up more detail if you think this might be helpful.

3. Thanks to DaveP from:

mrbios (26th March 2012)

Thank Post
    We run simsinst.exe which calls up sims infrastructure setup as part of the install, after that's run it moves on to the main sims installer so hopefully that shouldn't be an issue.

I've not moved any FMS machines on to 64bit windows as yet either, just SIMS.

Thank Post
    it takes any locations required from the sims.ini which lives inside the windows directory. If the user account that is used to install SIMS doesn't have access to this folder it will go to the defaults set in the installer which will most likely be program files\sims\sims .net

6. Thanks to Mcshammer_dj from:

mrbios (26th March 2012)

Thank Post
    SIMS is 32bit, it should go into the c:\program files (x86)\sims\sims .net folder for 64bit machines. It won't if you've already got a setting in the sims.ini.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Thanks to matt40k from:

mrbios (26th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Perfect, thanks all, problem solved then and i know why but shant say here as the problem as it turns out is non-technical.

Thank Post
    We have predominately x64 bit windows here (In middle of migration...) We started installing SIMS to the x86 folder as that is what the installer defaulted too, and SIMS seemed OK. We have now been informed by our LA support team that they recommend installing it into the Program Files folder otherwise it can cause issues with Lesson Monitor I do believe. We were advised just to remove the (x86) part from the install location whenever we run SIMS on an x64 machine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JonThompson View Post
    We have predominately x64 bit windows here (In middle of migration...) We started installing SIMS to the x86 folder as that is what the installer defaulted too, and SIMS seemed OK. We have now been informed by our LA support team that they recommend installing it into the Program Files folder otherwise it can cause issues with Lesson Monitor I do believe. We were advised just to remove the (x86) part from the install location whenever we run SIMS on an x64 machine.
    Interesting information, not something i've seen in any documentation, do you have any more info on that?

Thank Post
    I think they mean FMS. Lesson monitor doesn't care. FMS you can't set different paths on a device bases, it must be the same path across the network otherwise personnel links breaks. Thats why we say don't mix 32bit and 64bit workstations across the networks (servers are the exception as no-one should be working).

13. Thanks to matt40k from:

mrbios (26th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Interesting information, not something i've seen in any documentation, do you have any more info on that?
    @matt40k. You could be right on that one... @mrbios - The boss was on the phone to them about a SIMS error, and they 'just happend to mention it' in passing. It was the first time we had heard about it!

Thank Post
    @matt40k is quite correct about this. We are seeing schools replace old devices with new 64-Bit devices and we tell them to install to C:\Program Files directory, mainly as if FMS is installed, it complains about being unable to locate pulsar.exe if SIMS has been installed to the x86 directory.

Interested to know how SOLUS3 handles the different directories on an x64 device...

Thank Post
    Wait so sims used for lesson monitor and the standard features is ok in x86 yes?

So it has to be installed to the non x86 folder only in the instance that FMS is used on the same machine? (just checking i've got the right end of the stick here)

Thank Post
    Correct.
    @Rawns - seems to handle it ok - x86 unless you fill in that box re: sims application path which we do like you if we have a mix of 32bit and 64bit workstations in a school. Do you deploy the sims.ini also? Not sure if it uses the program files path - I think it actually rejects it if it does have it. At least when you select it when you confirm solus3.

Thank Post
    Excellent, cheers

Additionally then, if i have a short cut directed to this path:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\SIMSLoad.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\Pulsar.exe"

Will that same path work correctly on 32bit machines? I know if it was just: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\Pulsar.exe" that it would, as 32bit appears to correctly redirect any "Program Files (x86)" shortcuts to just "Program Files" on 32bit machines but will it work with the double barrel links? (lol)

Or should i just setup a shortcut for "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\Pulsar.exe" and use that for both 32bit and 64bit machines? (i tried setting two links named "sims 32bit" and "sims 64bit" just to distinguish between the two.....but peoples heads imploded )
    Last edited by mrbios; 26th March 2012 at 01:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Excellent, cheers

Additionally then, if i have a short cut directed to this path:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\SIMSLoad.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\Pulsar.exe"

Will that same path work correctly on 32bit machines? I know if it was just: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\Pulsar.exe" that it would, as 32bit appears to correctly redirect any "Program Files (x86)" shortcuts to just "Program Files" on 32bit machines but will it work with the double barrel links? (lol)

Or should i just setup a shortcut for "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\Pulsar.exe" and use that for both 32bit and 64bit machines? (i tried setting two links named "sims 32bit" and "sims 64bit" just to distinguish between the two.....but peoples heads imploded )
    No it won't.

We don't recommend custom short-cuts as it causes all kinds of issues! Usually when an upgrade has happened and we get calls saying "my SIMS says incompatible database!!", usually because the have been playing with it, or it's lost the SIMSLoad.exe bit.

Our policy is install to C:\Program Files (just to make life easier for everyone) and run via the Start menu. If they are lucky enough to have Win 7, the can launch it quickly by searching for SIMS in the start menu.

What about a batch file to call SIMSLoad.exe & Pulsar?

Code:
    IF NOT EXIST "%ProgramFiles(x86)" GOTO 64BIT

:32BIT
    Run SIMS from the Program Files (x86) Dir

:64BIT 
    Run SIMS from the Program Files Dir
    Last edited by Rawns; 26th March 2012 at 01:59 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast