+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Capita Sims in Technical; Hi All, We use Sims.. Looking into SLG to allow ipad\iphone registering etc etc... What is the diff with SLG ...

Thank Post

Capita Sims

Hi All,
    We use Sims.. Looking into SLG to allow ipad\iphone registering etc etc...

What is the diff with SLG and sims emerge??

Which is the best?
    Cheapest ?
    etc etc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They are not comparable in my opinion. The SLG is for sharing documents, attendance, behaviour, etc, with staff and parents whereas Emerge is an App for read-only student and staff data with it's real use being to take Registers.

Thank Post
    Choice for registration is Webfolder SD from Bromcom or Emerge App.

Thank Post
    SLG is fine for Teachers marking Registers, entring data into AM7 Marksheets, entering data for Profiles, adding Ach/Beh Incidents etc etc etc. All the Ach/Beh etc links from the Registers are available.

There is far more functionality in SLG than there is currently in Emerge. And, if you already have SLG for Parental Reporting, there are no extra costs!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd March 2012 at 12:44 PM.

5. Thanks to Sivadam from:

swiftysw1 (22nd March 2012)

Thank Post
    So Emerge basically is an App with a lot less functionality.. ??

Thank Post
    Yep pretty much.

I think Emerge is the "App" is as a direct response to the boom in handheld devices. It is in need of an update really.

Thank Post
    From what I have seen and heard, it is an excellent app and more functionality is being added all the time.
    My argument here has always been the extra cost entailed in purchasing it, and the devices, when SLG is so functional and we already have it!

Most people have not tried it on a WP7 - and that includes the majority of people here! Whenever I raise that fact on Forums such as this there is usually no response from anybody - evidence in itself of how few people have tried SLG on a WP7!

At a recent Capita Software Update meeting, I did query the Capita Staff as to why they were pushing Emerge so much without sufficient reference to what SLG could also do! They are actually in danger of promoting Emerge at the expense of SLG!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 22nd March 2012 at 01:28 PM.

9. Thanks to Sivadam from:

swiftysw1 (22nd March 2012)

Thank Post
    What was their response?

Thank Post
    There was a general agreement with what I said. The object of the meeting was to give updates on new functionality and so SLG was not 'on the agenda'.

It had become apparant to me that some of the attendees at the meeting were not fully conversant of what SLG could do - presumably because they had not adopted it.

Coupled with the fact that it is not now a 'new' innovation (althought new functionality is being added all the time!), and so was not part of the discussion (until I raised it!), those staff new to SIMS, with little knowledge of SLG or Emerge, might have left the meeting with an unbalanced view of the best way forward for their school!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    From what I have seen and heard, it is an excellent app and more functionality is being added all the time.
    My argument here has always been the extra cost entailed in purchasing it, and the devices, when SLG is so functional and we already have it!
    Most people have not tried it on a WP7 - and that includes the majority of people here!

At a recent Capita Software Update meeting, I did query the Capita Staff as to why they were pushing Emerge so much without sufficient reference to what SLG could also do! They are actually in danger of promoting Emerge at the expense of SLG!
    Where do I get Emerge for hte iPad from?

Gareth

Thank Post
    There is plenty of info on the Capitaes website.

http://www.capita-sims.co.uk/our-par...ll-sims-emerge

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,146 Posts
    @garethedmondson - it's on the appstore. search for emerge and choose the one that comes from Groupcall not Capita, they are the same, but i believe Groupcall's is usually updated slightly earlier.

EDIT: you want the HD version, it's much cooler. Plus choose to connect to the demo server and you can test it for free.

Emerge is expensive, and you'd be looking at a secondary site licence at the £3000 mark, currently has an offer of 25% off until end of the month when the per unit price increases. This is an annual cost, so works out very expensive compared to SLG which is much less.

The major benefit of Emerge is it has an offline mode. Also it's much easier to use, than going to a website. I don't know if SLG has a mobile version.
    The main reason for pushing Emerge is for PE departments, they can go out in the field or even on trips and take registers, have parental contact info to hand if needed. Our SLT like having staff contact info to hand as well.

It is safe to use, secure with multi-factor authentication, and recently at my suggestion they added a true remote wipe, so it will auto delete it's data if not sync'ed to the server for a set time.

There is more info on Emerge in the sticky thread: Groupcall Emerge iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch app for MIS access.

I'm just about to update with the new pricing.

EDIT: i should also add, the android version is available, so you can use much cheaper devices now.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 22nd March 2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Additions

15. Thanks to vikpaw from:

speckytecky (25th May 2012)

Thank Post
    We use both SLG and emerge here.

All staff use SLG to undertake the registers, profiles, assessment etc and we purchased 5 x iPOD touches for our PE staff as an incentive for them to do their registers. We also use them for various other stuff including to allow them to check their e-mails etc as they are not at PC's as much as the rest of the school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sylv3r, do you host your SLG then as our Internet is neither quick enough nor reliable enough to suggest our teachers use the SLG instead of SIMS .net?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by winng View Post
    Sylv3r, do you host your SLG then as our Internet is neither quick enough nor reliable enough to suggest our teachers use the SLG instead of SIMS .net?
    Yes, we have a self hosted SLG. We couldn't risk our internet connection going down and staff not being able to carry out their registers etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast