+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
MIS Systems Thread, [Development] An Open Source Parent Gateway in Technical; Hi Zag, I run reports in batch and have done so for quite some time using a library and RMI ...

Thank Post
    Hi Zag,

I run reports in batch and have done so for quite some time using a library and RMI server I've developed in Java. The data is sent directly as objects back to the client from multiple reports. Client running on Linux or MS Windows if you want to. Can also use data from SIMS in a desktop Java app but the response is slow due to the speed of running reports. For example, creating comboboxes in a Java app or applet from data derived from a report, amongst other widgets etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    He explained that the commandreporter.exe tool is not capable of exporting already made reports in batch so thats a dead end.
    Eh? That's rubbish. You run 1 report to get your list of users, then you loop through for each user to run the report.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Eh? That's rubbish. You run 1 report to get your list of users, then you loop through for each user to run the report.
    I think that @zag is talking about reports saved in the document server, which I don't think can be accessed via Command Reporter. When one of our customers moved from Sims to another MIS last year, I wrote a little utility for them which extracted all the documents from the document server for each pupil, so it can be done.

Thank Post
    What reports are they out of interest?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rpwillis View Post
    I think that @zag is talking about reports saved in the document server, which I don't think can be accessed via Command Reporter. When one of our customers moved from Sims to another MIS last year, I wrote a little utility for them which extracted all the documents from the document server for each pupil, so it can be done.
    Exactly!

Is this utility available? Sounds like exactly what I have been trying to achieve.

They are progress reports saved on the document server and I have logic to select the correct files done already. Its pretty easy based on the filenames.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Just for information really, I've been updating the way I access SIMS reports remotely and have created a .war file which will run via a GlassFish server installed on either a SIMS workstation or server. It creates a WSDL file automatically which can be used to generate artifacts in the programming language of your choice. Anyway, it can be downloaded from:

http://www.beaconhillcott.net

Happy programming, (I hope!)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just an update on this.

After speaking to many people about this there didnt seem to be an easy way to access the document server.

We recently ditched Capita SLG and replaced it with TASC insight

I'll do a full review later but I must say this piece of software is superb. Not only is it an excellent, intuitive, easy to use and administer Parental Gateway. It also includes a an open access API that I am hoping to use for the customized projects I was talking about at the begging of this thread.

Consider me impressed with this software. I'll try to talk some more about it in another post.
    Last edited by zag; 30th May 2012 at 03:40 PM.

Thank Post
    As a full-time teacher at the time, I was trying to develop a rewards system for my school (1-2 years ago) and eventually managed to produce a PHP / batch file solution to extract data / reports via commandreporter. I eventually decided to sell my rewards system and now about 10 schools have adopted it all over the country. Capita did catch up with me recently and informed me that I was breaching their licence by using commandreporter as a business... and so I now have a paid-for third party licence from Capita. Please be aware that you do need a licence if you ever want to sell a product that uses commandreporter! I was not aware of this. I can now use the licence to brand reports etc.

My rewards system uses data from SIMS to keep class lists up-to-date, display attendance data to parents and students, automatically create new user accounts etc. I have since developed a Moodle add-on for schools that use the rewards system and Moodle (single login).

Another word of warning - Capita are not impressed by the use of a batch file to run commandreporter as the username and password has to be stored in plain text. Although I don't see the problem if the bat file is not accessible to users on the network, I now have a single non-readable file that does all the work instead i.e. a Java app, which means it is no longer necessary to install IIS, PHP etc to extract and send data - makes installation simple. Having any port open to allow access to a school server has always sounded dangerous to me so the communication to my rewards system is only one-way (sent encrypted from the school server, via the proxy, to my server).
    Last edited by vikpaw; 13th June 2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Unauthorised Advertising

9. Thanks to Tim158 from:

David_Grashoff (13th June 2012)

Thank Post
    All my stuff is open source. I think of it as repayment for all the other open source I use.

As for my current "Learning Gateway" like software, it is currently mothballed but may be revived as and when required by my College. Anyway, apart from SIF and Moodle web services, which have been put aside for the moment, current development is towards calculating value added using an Applet. Data being extracted from SIMS via CommandReporter using SOAP calls from another server which stores the data in a MySQL intermediate database. The Applet is accessed via the same intermediate server but authentication is required from AD to gain access to that web page. The Applet uses REST calls to get its data. Communication between Applet and intermediate server is via HTTPS, no username or password being stored within the Applet or files as clear text, the username and password used to access the site is also passed using HTTPS.

My mothballed "Learning Gateway" lookalike currently uses Java RMI, I will probably recode it to use SOAP to fetch the data from SIMS over HTTPS. Eventually I hope, in the future to have that data being passed using SIF messages, but that's some way off at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim158 View Post
    As a full-time teacher at the time, I was trying to develop a rewards system for my school (1-2 years ago)
    Shame your school dropped SIMS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567