+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, [Development] An Open Source Parent Gateway in Technical; sorry maybe i worded this thread wrong but im not looking for full vle. just parental access to simple things ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    sorry maybe i worded this thread wrong but im not looking for full vle. just parental access to simple things like a report on their child or possibly a small attendance summary.

it would be read only and offer a few easy to use features that a parent would be interested in.

Thank Post
    Just to confirm, work with Capita, not against them. Use the tools they provide and you'll save yourself at ALOT of hassle and moaning from me and others. If you don't, you'll waste your time as any right minded school wouldn't touch a program - open-source\free or not - if it could mess up their database and void any support they pay £££ money for.

See if the LA would be willing to get involved if you get your support via them, as you'll most likely need them to contact Capita and request the guff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    The best way to do it would be to batch script command reported output to csv and then at the end execute a php page which sucks up the csv's and then trims etc imports into mysql

thats what i do atm with out sites. If licensing for Xporter was so much we would use that!

Thank Post
    Using something like Moodle is a good idea, as I understood it Penfold offered something rather cheap. It makes sense to use a framework like Moodle, just worry about the "content" rather then engine, good example would be theming.

That was the idea of Capita using Sharepoint.
    Last edited by matt40k; 22nd March 2012 at 04:15 PM.

5. Thanks to matt40k from:

bossman (22nd March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Using something like Moodle is a good idea, as I understood it Penfold offered something rather cheap.
    ZiLink - That be what i am playing with now

7. Thanks to glennda from:

bossman (22nd March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    ZiLink - That be what i am playing with now
    How is it? Work ok?

Thank Post
    How is it? Work ok?
    Yup seems to be - we struggled initially but that was down to the amount of data in sims which we where trying to extract using the groupcall exporter Sif agents. I'm currently trying to setup user accounts for parents.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Using something like Moodle is a good idea, as I understood it Penfold offered something rather cheap. It makes sense to use a framework like Moodle, just worry about the "content" rather then engine, good example would be theming.

That was the idea of Capita using Sharepoint.
    @matt40k and @glennda - @rpwillis from salamander ports data to moodle from sims and other MISes, so might be worth considering if you're interested.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    @matt40k and @glennda - @rpwillis from salamander ports data to moodle from sims and other MISes, so might be worth considering if you're interested.
    Using Schools ICTS ZiLink at present having only just moved to it would be pointless moving away.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @all:

Moodle seems to be gaining weight accross the world and seems to be the framework of choice for quite a few people in which to communicate with not only parents but quite a lot of outside agencies too.

The OU uses Moodle which they have obviously developed themselves and have proved that with the right development it is a tool for all levels of communication.

If people have systems already in place then that is good I was just offering some advice based on experience.

Good luck with whatever you decide as long as it works and doesn't cause masses of work for your technical team.

Thank Post
    Just because it might be useful to someone :

I've been using Intelligent Converters MsSQL to MySQL product to extract our CMIS data and dump it into a MySQL database which I can then use in whatever way I want without any danger of causing abnormal loading the MsSQL server. I do the extract overnight but I could pull data more regularly if I wanted (after registration etc). Seems to be reasonably efficient and it's cheap.

Don't see why that wouldn't work with SIMS although depending on what you are doing, it may not be any advantage over the command line reporter. Personally I like to have full and unrestricted access to the data from SQL - but that's not for everyone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    sorry maybe i worded this thread wrong but im not looking for full vle. just parental access to simple things like a report on their child or possibly a small attendance summary.
    I was thinking along the lines that the moodle platform is a good php environment; by writing a module you would benefit from all the things moodle has to offer, security updates, passwords, single sign on, email, calendar which you wouldn't need to re-implement. You don't need to use the fully functional VLE aspect if you didn't want to, but it would help with adoption and others could more easily participate with the code.

Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Just because it might be useful to someone :

I've been using Intelligent Converters MsSQL to MySQL product to extract our CMIS data and dump it into a MySQL database which I can then use in whatever way I want without any danger of causing abnormal loading the MsSQL server. I do the extract overnight but I could pull data more regularly if I wanted (after registration etc). Seems to be reasonably efficient and it's cheap.

Don't see why that wouldn't work with SIMS although depending on what you are doing, it may not be any advantage over the command line reporter. Personally I like to have full and unrestricted access to the data from SQL - but that's not for everyone.
    This works up to the point that Capita/Serco decide to redesign their database, or you want to extend things by writing back to the MIS (online assessment for example).
    SIF/groupcall is probably the way forward.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=CyberNerd;807152]
    This works up to the point that Capita/Serco decide to redesign their database,
    [quote]
    Something they seem to do every :

a) month
    b) 10+ years

They have much much more to lose by re-design. They struggle to get their own developers not breaking the database while making enhancements or fixes - any change they make at that level has a cost and the more impact that change might have, the larger the cost.

or you want to extend things by writing back to the MIS (online assessment for example).
    Certainly use their import functions and API's at that point. Not when it costs you more to use them than you reasonably need to pay (in terms of time and effort). Of course, it depends what you want to achieve. If you want to get information from data to people who can use it to make a difference and you want to do that quickly, then IMO you don't dick about with API's - you go straight to the data. The pace of change in your working environment will wash away your sins thrice before MIS suppliers catch up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    ^ don't get me wrong, I applaud what you've done. I just believe that something like SIF or an API supported by the vendor is a better way of achieving it in the long term.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    IMO you don't dick about with API's - you go straight to the data.
    So why do we have audit trail? So idiot can bypass it and skip over the policies that are in place to protect you. Way to go giving technician a bad name and why? Because you can't be bothered to follow the procedure and ask for help. One for your CV.

Sorry if it sounds extreme, just fed up of repeating myself. Maybe someone needs to publicly publish details of someone who's gone down the path and has f00ked up the database or raised data protection issue and is now jobless.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast