+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Levels in SIMS in Technical; Hey, I'm new here, so please don't bite. I have been inputting my levels for my classes into SIMS which ...

Thank Post

Levels in SIMS

Hey, I'm new here, so please don't bite.

I have been inputting my levels for my classes into SIMS which is fine. But SLT wants us to put a challenge target in, which has to be two sub levels above what the student actually got. So a 3c would get a 3a and 3a would get a 4b ETC.

Is there anyway in SIMS to automatically do this? I'm quite happy to export to excel to do it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hadros.

Thank Post
    Hi, you can do this a number of ways, one simple way is to use the 'value' of the result, as opposed to the grade for each result (e.g. 4c = 25points, 4b = 27points, etc). A formula column can then add two levels of progress (4 points) to the value already achieved. Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    @hadros - you can do as ian suggested, and to save time make a marksheet template with all your subjects level columns on it with relevant target columns and apply it to the whole keystage or whole school even if relevant.

Thank Post
    Are you a teacher, hadros? It's possible that you won't have the relevant permission to create marksheets or add formula columns if you are. I'm sorry to say that in that circumstance it's bad old "Input it yourself".

Incidentally, I'm not a fan of automating anything to do with target setting. It takes it out of the hands of the teachers, who are the people who know the kids and need to know what they're capable of. If you have to input the data yourself, then at least once you've had to take account of where the student is and where they should be. If you haven't, then that bit of the process gets lost.

Thank Post
    Hi Hadros. This can be achieved yes if you are an Assessment Manager in SIMS.net as you will have access to the templates that the marksheets have been created in. Each level you have entered will have an underlying gradeset and a point score for it. As Ian has already explained create a VALUE (formula review)column that displays the number for the level entered. Then create a PLUS (formula review) column that can add on the amount (e.g. 4 points) that you need.

The last column you need is a MARKS TO GRADE (formula entry) one that takes the PLUS column and turns it back into a level.
    Formula review columns make calculations but dont store them anywhere. Formula entry columns save the result against the pupil so its important to add in any result sets if they are needed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverentCreature View Post
    Hi Hadros. This can be achieved yes if you are an Assessment Manager in SIMS.net as you will have access to the templates that the marksheets have been created in. Each level you have entered will have an underlying gradeset and a point score for it. As Ian has already explained create a VALUE (formula review)column that displays the number for the level entered. Then create a PLUS (formula review) column that can add on the amount (e.g. 4 points) that you need.

The last column you need is a MARKS TO GRADE (formula entry) one that takes the PLUS column and turns it back into a level.

Formula review columns make calculations but dont store them anywhere. Formula entry columns save the result against the pupil so its important to add in any result sets if they are needed.
    I think you can miss the first step out (creating value columns) and just add 4 points to the assessment level.

This process assumes that the entry levels had the appropriate NC points levels in the gradeset to begin with

Thank Post
    As other posters have mentioned, there are a few steps to complete here. Best thing to do is check the Documentation. Go to Documentation on the homepage (not the help menu) and look at the PDFs - there's one on Assessment Manager that will help you. Also check the Quick Help sheets. On the website there are videos that may help you too.

There's a lot of things that SIMS can do very well to help you - it can just be a pain to set up to begin with! There are also lots of marksheets and pre-made things that you can import and either use directly or use as an example.

If you're being asked to do this job, you really need to get yourself some training - there are right and wrong ways of doing things in SIMS and doing things in the wrong way will cost you time in the long run!

Good luck.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread