+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, HELP: editing result sets in Technical; Afternoon EduGeeks! First time poster here. I want to know if it is possible to edit result sets even though ...

Thank Post

HELP: editing result sets

Afternoon EduGeeks!

First time poster here. I want to know if it is possible to edit result sets even though they're now in use? It's a pretty small change. I want "D" to read "Distinction, "M" to read "Merit" and "P" to read "Pass".

I've went to Focus>Assessment>Result Sets and tried to edit them but got the warning log saying they fcouldn't be edited because they would invalidate data in use.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks,

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angryswarmofbees View Post
    Afternoon EduGeeks!

First time poster here. I want to know if it is possible to edit result sets even though they're now in use? It's a pretty small change. I want "D" to read "Distinction, "M" to read "Merit" and "P" to read "Pass".

I've went to Focus>Assessment>Result Sets and tried to edit them but got the warning log saying they fcouldn't be edited because they would invalidate data in use.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks,
    @angryswarmofbees

I think you meant gradesets, not resultsets. SIMS is right, altering them, will invalidate your existing results.
    It is possible to create a new version of the gradeset, however as you've found you must also keep the old grades in there.

You have a few options, create a new version that has both the D and Distinction, M and Merit etc. Slowly remove all the old grades / or change them to the new format. Then remove the old format from the gradeset.

Or leave them like that, and instruct people to use the new grades, and ignore the old ones. I did this previously and it seems to work okay.

With the spring update you can filter by a particular result in a marksheet, so if you wanted you could just create a new aspect with new gradeset and block fill all the results into new aspects with the new style, but this would only be practical if you only had a small number of grades.

What is the reasoning for the change, you can add a description for the value. I find it's easier for staff to enter the single letter grades, rather than have to type in a word.

Thank Post
    We use Dist/Merit/Pass so that it's short enough to type and distinguishes from D in GCSE grades, but isn't as bad as "Distinction".

Don't forget that staff will have to type the whole word if they're not using the "Select grade" method.

To get round the other issue of existing data, you can either add the other grades into the gradeset, and then convert the old ones (if it's a feasible job), or you can add a new set of grades to the gradeset and put today as the starting date.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMitchell View Post
    We use Dist/Merit/Pass so that it's short enough to type and distinguishes from D in GCSE grades, but isn't as bad as "Distinction".

Don't forget that staff will have to type the whole word if they're not using the "Select grade" method.

To get round the other issue of existing data, you can either add the other grades into the gradeset, and then convert the old ones (if it's a feasible job), or you can add a new set of grades to the gradeset and put today as the starting date.
    But even with a new set of grades (version), it will tell you that you are making existing data invalid. As far as i know.

Thank Post
    Hey guys

Thanks for the replies. I did indeed mean grade sets. After speaking to some of the other SLT it's been agreed to just live with the (slight) confusion.

thanks again

Asob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread