+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Capita too big and too slow in Technical; After reporting an issue with Cover 7 which was caused by the Autumn Upgrade I have had to wait 6 ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs down Capita too big and too slow

After reporting an issue with Cover 7 which was caused by the Autumn Upgrade I have had to wait 6 weeks after it was escualed to various teams within SIM's for them to tell me they can't do anything about it as yet and that hopefully it will be fixed in the Summer 12 release. I am so glad I only rely on the minimal SIM's modules and use other products linked into SIM's to deal with Attendance, Behaviour and Parental Portal etc. and that these companies provide a much higher quality of support and turn around to fix issues even software issues, maximum of usually a week but usually much less.

Thank Post
    Steven please let me have the case number and a description of the problem so that I can investigate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,146 Posts
    @Steven_Cleaver - just contemplating going to autumn so interested in the issue, pls share.
    i've had similar issues in the past: functionality that should be there but doesn't work has to be logged as a change request, a patch that I requested that has to be made for my school is made for two releases ahead of the one I'm on!
    If it is fixable they are usually pretty good so it must be something major you've found.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    @Steven_Cleaver -As Phil doesn't make it overly clear and just encase you think his request is a touch random he works for capita!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    @Steven_Cleaver -As Phil doesn't make it overly clear and just encase you think his request is a touch random he works for capita!
    Works for? Phil will love that description I bet!

Steven, I'd be interested to hear what your problem is!
    Have you used the SupportNet Forum to ask other users?

Thank Post
    Hi Phil

Thanks for responding to this.

I'll get the Case Number tomorrow as we use the LEA for support so raised the issue there first so to be honest it was a week or so with them before it went to Capita and then 6 weeks there.

I'll also post a proper outline of the issue tomorrow if that is ok as it was sometime back now and I will need to check everyting out to be completely clear but it is an issue with Cover 7 and the way we were able to allocate staff and move rooms to cover more than one class if they are already shown as teaching a specific class for a session before the Autumn Upgrade, as Senior Management (Head and Deputy Head) here take more than one class in the Main Hall. This has also caused a number of issues including having to edit the Cover list Manually every day to dispaly on our VLE with the correct information and also inaccurate Cover statistics since the beginning of January. Sorry this a bit vague but will add a more acccurate explanation Tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Hmmmmmmm........
    That seems rather a lot wrong with it Steven.
    Our Cover Manager has not mentioned any Cover7 issues to me! As far as I am aware we can still double up staff and move rooms. We had a lot of that happening today as part of our Y11 Science re-sit exams arrangements!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 1st March 2012 at 09:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post

You know what i mean! and got the point across! A Cheeky tweet got his attention here!

With regards to the Cover Problem I will talk to our cover ladies tomorrow if they have the problem. I'm fairly sure they are able to setup "Mass sit" as its referred to here as they did it yesterday and i haven't received any complaints about not being able to setup so it might be site specific (although sounds like a client issue rather then a DB) as they have been setting up "Mass Sit" for a least the 2 years i've been here.

Thank Post

I have sort of seen Phil's name a few times on the Forum on a few posts and sort of realised he was involved with Capita.
    I did look around SupportNet but couldn't find anything and also the LEA I think tried this as we have very good support from the LEA (mostly very good ex MIS staff from schools) but sort of thought if the LEA support or Capita support were looking into it, I would leave it with them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Cleaver View Post
    I have sort of seen Phil's name a few times on the Forum on a few posts and sort of realised he was involved with Capita.
    Quoted from Twitter

@Phil_Neal
    Capita Children's Services Managing Director. One of the original creators of SIMS

11. Thanks to glennda from:

Steven_Cleaver (1st March 2012)

Thank Post
    Hmmmmmmm........
    That seems rather a lot wrong with it Steven.
    Our Cover Manager has not mentioned any Cover7 issues to me! As far as I am aware we can still double up staff and move rooms. We had a lot of that happening today as part of our Y11 Science re-sit exams arrangements!
    It may be the way we do the Time Tabling differently don't take this as gospel as I am only the lowly ICT Admin Manager as ours are sort of split sessions so they can select them to cover half the sessioon but not the other half and sometimes first half other times the second half.

Thank Post
    I think that if you post the problems you have on the Curriculum Forum of SupportNet then you will find lots of help from the expert users that contribute to the forum!
    There is a thread on there that does refer to a similar scenario. It is:- Conflict resolution (34577)
    And using half lesson cover is pretty standard stuff anyway!

And if you don't know Phil - he is the 'main man'. He is the MD for the SIMS and ONE sections and is also one of the co-founders of SIMS!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 1st March 2012 at 09:57 PM.

14. Thanks to Sivadam from:

Steven_Cleaver (1st March 2012)

Thank Post
    I think that if you post the problems you have on the Curriculum Forum of SupportNet then you will find lots of help from the expert users that contribute to the forum!
    There is a thread on there that does refer to a similar scenario. It is:- Conflict resolution (34577)
    And using half lesson cover is pretty standard stuff anyway!

And if you don't know Phil - he is the 'main man'. He is the MD for the SIMS and ONE sections and is also one of the co-founders of SIMS!

Thanks I'll take a look on Suport Net and thanks for reference number.
    Cheers I sort of feel though that the school pays a fair price for support, SIM's licencing and doesn't really want me to spend too much time fixing problems with software due to issues caused by Software Upgrades when the school pays a vast amount of money for these services. Don't get me wrong I like a challenge and myself and the MIS Manager, Cover Person and Deputy Head spent sometime looking at ways round this that would fit in with what we do, but couldn't come up with a reasonable solutiion that wouldn't cause us issues else where.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,381 Times in 1,676 Posts
    I would also detail your problem to @vikpaw as he requested - he is very experienced with the software and may well be able to help

Thank Post
    Steven, I'm now away from a computer until Tuesday so please don't PM me email Gary.Hill@Capita.CO.UK Gary is in charge of the service desks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast