+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Spring 2012 release in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k Didn't it use to be 6 releases a year There was close to that many just ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Didn't it use to be 6 releases a year
    There was close to that many just from Autumn 2011, wasn't there??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    There was close to that many just from Autumn 2011, wasn't there??
    LOL

Didn't it use to be 6 releases a year, 3 with only bugfix and 3 with new stuff (and generally bugs).
    I think it's only 3 releases a year now, and all bug fixes get pushed to the next release, or that's the way it seems, and you patch anything in between if it's urgent.

I'll install the Spring update a week before they release the summer one - should be about stable by then :-)

In all seriousness, I would love to know the point at which Capita have stopped working on Spring and moved on to Summer, as that is the point at which I want to install Spring. I don't have the resources (or inclination) to run an update, handle client update issues, roll-back the update and then fix the clients which got broken attempting to update. I want to run a single update to a stable release, and if that means a delay in getting the latest features so be it. Anyone know how I could find out that date?
    I'm still on 7.138 - unsure of whether to test the latest Autumn out, as it should mostly be stable and most patches will have been added into Spring, so worth case, i can request them standalone.

They will already be working on summer, because the things they are wanting to deliver will be different and no doubt already being tweaked and tested.

I would warn one thing, the big independent conference going on at the moment, so a lot of the top boys will be there, so maybe worth waiting a day or two til Friday

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I'm still on 7.138
    7.138 is Spring 2011, isn't it? How long before that stops being supported??

Thank Post
    I'm still on 7.138
    Why are you on a year old version of SIMS?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Probably because it works, and he doesn't want any of the features in newer versions enough to risk an upgrade...

Thank Post
    They will already be working on summer, because the things they are wanting to deliver will be different and no doubt already being tweaked and tested.
    True enough, however they will still fix issues with Spring. There must come a point, however, when the developers close the door altogether on Spring and only work on Summer. That is the point at which I would like to upgrade to Spring.

Thank Post
    Capita support two releases. Spring, Summer, Autumn. So he isn't supported. First thing they'll do if it logs a call and they need the database is say, upgrade your SIMS. They should be telling him now whenever he logs a call and selecting his version. Unless he has a nice bag of money to throw at Capita.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    He's independent - no census - no forced reasons.

9. Thanks to matt40k from:

Rawns (28th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Probably because it works, and he doesn't want any of the features in newer versions enough to risk an upgrade...
    Correct. The issues with Summer and Autumn put some fear into me, and we could cope without SIMS but without FMS we would not get paid! I like to sit back and watch what happens. Though to be fair, i didn't wait too long for last Spring and installed soon after release, it was one of the more stable versions. It's also when they release the installable version, so perhaps they do more testing to make it more stable..?
    True enough, however they will still fix issues with Spring. There must come a point, however, when the developers close the door altogether on Spring and only work on Summer. That is the point at which I would like to upgrade to Spring.
    I think, unless it's a major structural issue with it as in Autumn, they wont rewrite it. If it can be patched, that's got to be the easiest way to go and then the patch goes into the next release.
    Capita support two releases. Spring, Summer, Autumn. So he isn't supported. First thing they'll do if it logs a call and they need the database is say, upgrade your SIMS. They should be telling him now whenever he logs a call and selecting his version. Unless he has a nice bag of money to throw at Capita.
    They would, but i don't need to log any calls because the release i'm on works, and i'm sticking with it
    I would love to have access to some of the new features, like filtering in assessment, changing resultsets in bulk without using my script, multiple tiers, but i don't need them so badly that i'd risk any downtime.
    I'm happily testing on my test setup. I wasn't really happy with the FMS issues in Autumn else i'd have gone for that around about now, and still might, on the premise that Spring is out so Autumn is done with.

Maybe i'll add all those reasons to my signature along with the other info
    @enjay - do you have to keep up to date, or can you delay like me? What version are you on?

Thank Post
    @enjay - do you have to keep up to date, or can you delay like me? What version are you on?
    We're on 7.142 / Autumn 2011 at present; once I was happy it was stable, I upgraded. There were some features in it which we wanted, plus we had bought a day's onsite training/consultancy, and they insist on the latest version being installed.

That said, we are independent, so don't have to update along with everyone else.

Thank Post
    Joy, another morning of running around manually updating stations that seem to update fine but then won't launch SIMS. Or generate a user permissions error. Or work but then seem to fail after a couple of days.

Thank Post
    SOLUS says: No new updates have been found.

Do I have a lazy SOLUS install? Or an intelligent one which hides unstable releases from me?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh fun time again. Will be downloading that tomorrow then. Does anyone happen to know if the Solus3 and AppV drive letter issue is fixed? At least with SCCM I can manage the client install process by essentially a silent reinstall :-p

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    Does anyone happen to know if the Solus3 and AppV drive letter issue is fixed?
    I have no idea, maybe if you give us more info

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This issue... as you had the release notes to hand I assume from the postings...

Solus3 and App-V woes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast