+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Secure Document Scanning Management Software in Technical; Right, ok, so here's the thing.. One of the schools I support is looking to go down the digital archive ...
    Thank Post

Secure Document Scanning Management Software

Right, ok, so here's the thing..

One of the schools I support is looking to go down the digital archive route, as (quite simply) we've run out of space in our current storage, and it's going to be one of those things that just gets increasingly costly.

Now, they had a company in this morning demoing some software to them (sadly, a couple of personal things had come up so I missed the meeting) but this software will link into SIMS and allow batch scanning and then individual assignment to a pupil and then under that pupil it will allow allocation to various sections (admissions documents, professional letters, parental letters, etc etc) as well as keeping a store of all the finance information along side the SIMS Finance Module in a similar fashion. It will then from this allow the secure e-mailing of individual or batch documents, including removing sensitive information whilst keeping your original in tact and all that usual stuff you would expect.

They are asking for 6000 for the software (this includes 1.5 days installation and training as well as making sure the software is set up for the schools needs) with 900/year maintenance fee to ensure you get updates and 0.5 day a year support.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of solutions for the school that do the same thing and have contact details so we can do a comparison and get a real feel for what's out there and ensure we meet our best value purchasing model.

Thanks all
    Andy T

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. Who was that (PM if necessary). Couple of years since I looked into this, but there was a compay working with Capita (i forget the name but it was something lke RecordLink) who did this batch importing of documents etc. Is the removal of personal info the critical part?

Thank Post
    I'll try and find the name, but the removal of sensitive information is critical as sometimes you need to send a letter or copy information, but without certain information on that isn't relevant to the particular reason for sending it - all very complex I know, but hey, I'm just the IT Guy .. lol ..

EDIT:

The Arena Group (http://www.arenagroup.net/page/edm-for-education)
    Last edited by soveryapt; 27th February 2012 at 01:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's just interesting. If the personal information is removed, then how does the document make any sense or is of any use in terms of retreival for internal purposes.

Thank Post
    No no, we would store an original copy, but the system that they have looked at can remove specific information before it is sent, keeping the original in tact. It's for when we send to third parties as required, sometimes you need to remove certain parts of the information, so currently this would be done by photocopying the original and then using a big black marker to line through the information that is to be hidden and then to copy again to ensure the original bits removed can't be read (a long way round I know, but data protection and schools .......)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I understand. We looked at a compay too (not the one you have mentioned) who could do this and managed the archive as well. I'll see if I can find out who they were, but priceng came in about the same if not more.

7. Thanks to GREED from:

soveryapt (27th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I understand. We looked at a compay too (not the one you have mentioned) who could do this and managed the archive as well. I'll see if I can find out who they were, but priceng came in about the same if not more.
    Well, anything I can provide to them for comparison is good, even if it's more .. Cheers!

Thank Post
    Only thing I'd say is make sure that whatever contract you sign it is clearly stated exactly what the software can do. Some years ago a member of staff here signed a contract believing that the software would allow her to scan directly into SIMS and the salesman said it could. The trainer then arrived and said it wouldn't but the salesman disputed that he had made such a claim, saying that she had misunderstood his explanation.

10. Thanks to 36Degrees from:

Thank Post
    Oh yeah, we already know this doesn't scan directly to SIMS, it scans to it's own database and using the Unique Pupil ID to refer back to it's own database and form a link between the 2, so any looking up has to be done through their software and not directly from within SIMS. Like you say, it's a simple differentiation but it's an important one to realise.

Thank Post
    I would say give Cohesion Software a buzz about their RecordLink software. It does scan directly in to the SIMS Document server, has a plug-in that works from Office so any email (if you use Outlook) or Word document can be saved directly in and there is another piece of software that allows you to edit the PDFs created, so you would be able to blank out sections, add a watermark or add custom stamps. Also can be integrated with some MFDs or photocopier systems.

Sorry that sounds like a sales pitch but I'm not connected to the company but have had one of their pitches and we have the basic version here.

13. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    I would say give Cohesion Software a buzz about their RecordLink software. It does scan directly in to the SIMS Document server, has a plug-in that works from Office so any email (if you use Outlook) or Word document can be saved directly in and there is another piece of software that allows you to edit the PDFs created, so you would be able to blank out sections, add a watermark or add custom stamps. Also can be integrated with some MFDs or photocopier systems.

Sorry that sounds like a sales pitch but I'm not connected to the company but have had one of their pitches and we have the basic version here.
    I'll take a ganders, and to have something sounding like a sales pitch from someone who is just an End User is a great testament to their software I would say! lol ..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thats the people! (See above)

16. Thanks to GREED from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    +1 for Cohesion software, they are a Capita partner, and the cost is much less from what i recall. The order of hundreds, depending on school size.
    If it goes straight to SIMS, you may immediately have some limitations in how it works and what you can do with it, but from what i recall it's pretty flexible. It's unlikely to offer all the bells and whistles that you'll get with a separate dedicated database, but for the cost saving it's probably worth it. Plus it's one less system for you to manage if it all gets put into SIMS.
    Cohesion Software

There is a thread on it here: Bulk upload of standard document (excel) to sims pupils
    Also, something called E-copy that you can get from Canon linked to a copier, but i never worked out if Cohesion sell the same thing, worth looking at SIMS + Student Documents

You should be able to get a 10 day trial from Cohesion, so would be a good way to show all the advantages of a quick link to SIMS even if it does not do everything you can buy for 6000

18. Thanks to vikpaw from:

soveryapt (7th March 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread