+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Discover Achievement Charts in Technical; Just installed SIMS Discover - so far so good. I have noticed that there are alot more Behaviour Charts than ...

Thank Post

Discover Achievement Charts

Just installed SIMS Discover - so far so good. I have noticed that there are alot more Behaviour Charts than there are Achievement Charts. For example I have
    "Behaviour Points by Registration Group" but no corresponding "Achievements by Registration Group".

Is this by design or is this something I can add in myself?

Also does anyone know if I can put in Date ranges? eg Behaviour points only for this term?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,193 Posts
    You should be able to do all that you need. The defaults are just examples. As far as i know, date ranges work too.
    Don't ask me how to do any of that though

Thank Post
    What clients are you running it on? I'd planned to use the HT's existing Toshiba laptop but after looking at the installation guide, it doesn't look as if it will be up to the job.

Thank Post
    Give it a try - most laptops work fine.

5. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

laserblazer (27th February 2012)

Thank Post
    I've got a Capita Trainer coming over next week so hopefully will know alot more after.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    You should be able to do all that you need. The defaults are just examples. As far as i know, date ranges work too.
    Don't ask me how to do any of that though
    @vikpaw apparantly not! Got the Capita Trainer in this week. She said the only ones you can add at the moment are assessment based ones. You cannot add to the other sections and there are no date ranges available. This is something for a future release.

8. Thanks to fiza from:

vikpaw (6th March 2012)

Thank Post
    So not as flexible as they make out then. If you have to wait for things to make it to the Discover dictionary, that will suck.

EDIT: I hope the training was more useful in other areas else it would be a waste of money.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 6th March 2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: addition

Thank Post
    That's a bit harsh Vik - just because it doesn't have date ranges yet doesn't make it inflexible. The Indy conference last week were bowled over with what they saw.

People have asked for date ranges and they are on the development list but there are many ways of dealing with these already in the rest of SIMS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    That's a bit harsh Vik - just because it doesn't have date ranges yet doesn't make it inflexible. The Indy conference last week were bowled over with what they saw.

People have asked for date ranges and they are on the development list but there are many ways of dealing with these already in the rest of SIMS.
    I was thinking more about the achievements thing rather than date ranges. Admittedly i've not used it yet, but you'd think, if you have a system that lets you pick up a field and then do something with the data in it, it would be a generic system that lets you access any field. I don't understand how it works, but it looks like you have to enable access to each area..? Just reminds me of the days when we'd have to ask for things to be made available in the reporting dictionary or now e.g. requesting fields to be added to student info columns in marksheets.

SIMS Discover takes data analysis to a new level. It is a cutting edge graphical analysis tool that enables you to discover connections you never knew existed before.
    It's just frustrating if you can't get access to all the info that has been put into the system. I'm sure there is a very good technical reason for it, but i'd just expect you can easily enumerate every field and make it accessible for analysis. I'm guessing it's to do with the complex way it's stored with multiple links between disparate tables.

No offence intended, just was a bit shocked that this is the case:
    "Behaviour Points by Registration Group" but no corresponding "Achievements by Registration Group".

Thank Post
    The thing that I'm determined to stay with is keep Discover as simple as possible - hence there are defined graphs which can be combined in a user friendly way.

You can for example drop a registation group on the achievements graph and see that group's achievements. You can then drop another factor onto the same graph and see the effect of that for example 3rd Yr English.

13. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

vikpaw (6th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Hope this doesn't divert the thread too much, is there a plan to let us use Discover on a class level rather than year/reg groups?

Thank Post
    Yes its in the spring release. You can break down subjects into classes using a new tap action.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Yes its in the spring release. You can break down subjects into classes using a new tap action.
    Thanks Phil, sorry for the mini-hijack

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread