+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS support for XP in Technical; I've just read that Capita will end support for XP and Server 2003 in Autumn 2013. Anyone know about this. ...

Thank Post

SIMS support for XP

I've just read that Capita will end support for XP and Server 2003 in Autumn 2013. Anyone know about this. I was hoping we could eak out our system for a little longer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    There was a thread from April 2011 about the SIMS Technical Roadmap.

www.edugeek.net/forums/mis-systems/74532-sims-technical-roadmap.html

3. Thanks to Arthur from:

laserblazer (23rd February 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    sims is SO expensive when you cost in the system requirements.
    Half their stuff (intouch, discover) doesn't even work with terminal services.
    I really believe that some of the restrictions that capita impose on us is detrimental to teaching and learning. If we didn't need to upgrade so many pc's all the time we could spend that money on equipment for students.

5. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

laserblazer (23rd February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    sims is SO expensive when you cost in the system requirements.
    I really believe that some of the restrictions that capita impose on us is detrimental to teaching and learning. If we didn't need to upgrade so many pc's all the time we could spend that money on equipment for students.
    I agree but we are stuck with it.

Thank Post
    Funny enough I got asked this today, Windows Server 2003 is one release eariler by the way. Office 2003 is going soon too. Out of interest, how often you you refresh admin hardware? Do you buy licenses outright as well?

I thought Discover does? Pretty sure Cambridgeshire was midway though setting up, no idea re: intouch

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I thought Discover does? Pretty sure Cambridgeshire was midway though setting up, no idea re: intouch
    Not according to Capita support. If you know differently then I'm listening.

Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Funny enough I got asked this today, Windows Server 2003 is one release eariler by the way. Office 2003 is going soon too. Out of interest, how often you you refresh admin hardware? Do you buy licenses outright as well?
    The stupid thing is that it must be costing Capita a fortune to keep up with MS in terms of re-development as well as how much it costs schools. I'm thinking the 32 to 64bit upgrades, database upgrades, product testing on windows etc. I bet they would have saved a fortune in development if they had just written a php/python app.

Thank Post
    Not according to Capita support. If you know differently then I'm listening.

Try KB17896 on SupportNet. Discover Hosted Technical Guide. I know a colleague is in the process of rolling out/testing Discover on our centrally hosted environment.

10. Thanks to Rawns from:

CyberNerd (23rd February 2012)

Thank Post
    Last thing I heard was Capita was working with Cambridgeshire CC to get Discover working in their hosted environment. Will try and find out how it's going.

You'll be suprised. Microsoft has excellent support and it's pretty straight forward moving. How many developers had to do ALOT of work because of PHP safe_mode, or moving from PHP4 to 5. Most likely more work then going from .NET 2 to .NET 4. It's also alot easier to get a Windows developer - ok maybe I should re-word that, it's a lot 'safer' getting a windows developer as Microsoft due standardised testing. So you can get a proper developer rather then a person who's spent 10 years tweaking joomla themes.

(Can of worms open ~runs for cover~)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, support for Windows XP (SP3) ends in April 2014 (the 8th to be precise), so I guess Capita have a point in ending their SIMS XP support a little early to ensure end users have migrated in plenty of time.

13. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

matt40k (23rd February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    To be honest, support for Windows XP (SP3) ends in April 2014 (the 8th to be precise), so I guess Capita have a point in ending their SIMS XP support a little early to ensure end users have migrated in plenty of time.
    End of support =! end of useful life.
    Especially with limited funding.

Thank Post
    End of support =! end of useful life.
    In my book, when we're talking end of security updates, it does. An un-patched Windows installation is the most risky thing to be running, even if you have bang up-to-date antivirus etc.

Thank Post
    I know alot of schools have been forced to upgrade to Windows 7 because that's what students are using at home, is this just a Suffolk thing? Or is admin side of things suppose to be in the darkages? IT in education is a bottomless pit, you just need to keep throwing enough money into it so it doesn't eat too much. IE have a replacement plan and stick to it and don't end up getting more equipment then you can realistically afford to support (or need). If you don't keep on top of it and you don't plan, you end up with a school full of computers that are useless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidYoung View Post
    In my book, when we're talking end of security updates, it does. An un-patched Windows installation is the most risky thing to be running, even if you have bang up-to-date antivirus etc.
    I wouldn't mind betting that an unpatched win98 machine would be pretty resilient against modern worms and trojans designed for win7.
    I digress, I'll update them to Win7. I was more thinking of office updates, server updates, SQL updates etc etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post

Naah.. it's not Capita's place to arrogantly (there is no better word) shrink Microsoft's life-cycle, if anything they should be supporting XP until say summer 2014 to give the terminally stupid/poor a chance to sort themselves out.

PS: How much tax-payers money do they earn from SIMS? [Rhetorical]

Thank Post
    We've got SIMS Discover running through terminal services (2003), just the standard install. However, according to the copy of the technical roadmap I have they're dropping support for the SIMS.net client on Server 2003 with the summer 2012 update

20. Thanks to Chris_ from:

CyberNerd (24th February 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast