+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Student Address - Multimap Button in Technical; In the student details pane, there is button next to the address with a picture of the Earth on it. ...

Thank Post

Student Address - Multimap Button

In the student details pane, there is button next to the address with a picture of the Earth on it.

Clicking on this is supposed to open a Multimap of the address's location.

However, multimap's not been around for the best part of two years - it's now part of BING.

multimap.co.uk doesn't work at all as a domain name.

If you change the domain name in the address bar of the browser window to multimap.com, it redirects correctly to the address on BING.

If you change the address from multimap to bing, it doesn't work.

Has anyone else noticed this? I have a work around (change .co.uk to .com), but don't want to have to do this every time someone needs a map.

If nobody else noticed this, does this mean that this functionality is not needed ;-) ?

Thank Post
    I see what you mean. I tried looking to see if there was a change request on SupportNet but it doesn't appear to have been spotted by anyone else (although searching very rarely reveals what you are looking for on there :-)). We've requested the change here though as it does occasionally get used.

Thank Post
    What number's your change request? I'll vote for that instead of creating my own.

Thank Post
    OK official response from SIMS is. "The map option is hard coded and cannot be changed" (how do you ever change anything then??). However if you go into tools setups user options you can change it to streetmap.co.uk instead which does work but is an individual option. So each person will have to change it themselves (sheesh!!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cromertech View Post
    OK official response from SIMS is. "The map option is hard coded and cannot be changed" (how do you ever change anything then??). However if you go into tools setups user options you can change it to streetmap.co.uk instead which does work but is an individual option. So each person will have to change it themselves (sheesh!!)
    Any plans for them to change it in the software?

Thank Post
    Capita can't keep track of they're own domains let alone 3rd parties!

7. 2 Thanks to matt40k:

cromertech (22nd February 2012), Mcshammer_dj (23rd February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Any plans for them to change it in the software?
    Not that I can find out at the moment. I think the phrasing above indicates that it won't be changed for a long time though

Thank Post
    Hello everyone,

We're looking at this and I expect to have it addressed in the Summer release. Unfortunately we are code complete now for Spring and in the very final stages of release preparation in advance of next week (fingers crossed)

Apologies for the inconvenience in the meantime. I have to admit I still type multimap into my browser and watch as it re-directs to Bing maps. I (wrongly) assumed the software link in SIMS would do the same. Thanks for raising this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Cooper View Post
    We're looking at this and I expect to have it addressed in the Summer release. Unfortunately we are code complete now for Spring and in the very final stages of release preparation in advance of next week (fingers crossed)
    Really? Surely you can squeeze in a quick change, it won't take more then an hours work - you've just done a similar thing for WAV. "long" term you'll want a proper selection of mapping tools - ie Google Maps or Bing but we can wait for that. Go on... squeeze it in. Go on, maybe put a few pies on the capita credit card to hush any moaning mouths

Thank Post
    Matt - I'd love to, but everythiing is wrapped and in the final stages of deployment testing. I can imagine the response if I asked my colleagues in development to open everything up for a small change (but irritating I admit). I'm afraid it would put our release back a few days. It's a constant challenge knowing when to 'close the doors' and build the release version as there are always bits of polishing I'd like to do. Once we have agreed that we are at release candidate stage, only really big showstoppers are likley to interrupt the release process.

As for customer options on the mapping tool - Google, Bing, etc... My gut feel is to pick one and use it, and Bing Maps seems as good as any. Unless users want a steetview feature to see a photo of the address!

Thank Post
    Suppose this is the whole idea of SOLUS3, that you can release much smaller updates quicker and easier, still a while off I guess. Still think you're a wimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Cooper View Post
    As for customer options on the mapping tool - Google, Bing, etc... My gut feel is to pick one and use it, and Bing Maps seems as good as any. Unless users want a steetview feature to see a photo of the address!
    Google bots worldwide cried when they saw that you favoured Bing over Google. Sure it isn't much work, still I guess Capita is Microsoft focused.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread