+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Number 1 most important aspect of your MIS in Technical; Originally Posted by SouthCoastSaint Actually, this could also encompass missing registers. Could have a homepage panel for Teachers - WORK ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthCoastSaint View Post
    Actually, this could also encompass missing registers. Could have a homepage panel for Teachers - WORK YOU ARE BEHIND ON. Although, would the screen be big enough for some?!
    Bromcom have this panel on a webpage that shows you outstanding registers. Would be perfect for a display board in the staffroom

Thank Post
    All aspects of MIS are important for us - different modules affect different people, medical for nurse, timetabling for timetabler, attendance for all teachers (legal obligation). From a technical point of view its got to just be reliable - minimum downtime.
    @SouthCoastSaint You can see outstanding registers on the SIMS homepage, I have it setup so I can see outstanding for all teachers - not sure if you can set it for just your own though.
    @PhilNeal - The facility to email staff about their marksheets not being completed will be a good addition, but only if you dont need intouch as suggested previously.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    As an independent, it has to be fees and attendance... Who did what and when and making sure this translates into the fee invoice. Without that everything else fails.

A degree of flexibility is also important. An acceptance that the whole school does not operate the same timetable. We have babies join at 2 months... Their sessions are not the same as those in the prep.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    .... An acceptance that the whole school does not operate the same timetable. We have babies join at 2 months... Their sessions are not the same as those in the prep.
    I'm competing with this now, need to have 3 different cycles ideally.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I'm competing with this now, need to have 3 different cycles ideally.
    Try catering for colleges who run a timetable for every student... more or less.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Try catering for colleges who run a timetable for every student... more or less.
    The difference for independents is that getting it wrong means we don't get the money in. (Or we get angry parents who take their kids elsewhere)

In most schools and colleges, coping with different timetables means people don't get taught... not that the money doesn't come in. For us, it could be both.

Thank Post
    @SouthCoastSaint You can see outstanding registers on the SIMS homepage, I have it setup so I can see outstanding for all teachers - not sure if you can set it for just your own though.

I do use this panel all the time but looking at the way it's configured, it's more part of the 'send message' tool than for each individual teacher. If it's already there in some form though, might not be too hard for Capita to set up as an addition. I know there has been lots of talk in the past about the timeline being red until reg is taken then turning green, but I think a panel for it would be quite good too. Would also mean that it would still display even when tomorrow has arrived - this wouldn't happen with the timeline unless you rolled backwards.

Thank Post
    For teachers an ability to quickly and easily access relavent assessment and attendance info, for office staff the ability to access inventories, finance and contact details without the system going in to melt down and for SLT abilt to easily access and analyse the data in pretty colours :-) for me a system that has an easy clutter free user interface and is very reliable as it is the core system of the school and without it the potential for a screw up is huge.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    The difference for independents is that getting it wrong means we don't get the money in. (Or we get angry parents who take their kids elsewhere)

In most schools and colleges, coping with different timetables means people don't get taught... not that the money doesn't come in. For us, it could be both.
    Unfortunately changes in most college funding means exactly the same and you guys.

As well as the raft of Academies and free schools. Might not get the money from the same place, but it all relies on getting them through the door.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    #1 most important aspect? Data Protection Act compliance.

In our current MIS I have had to disable one module because using it would put us at risk of a Data Protection complaint. Luckily it's not a critical module, but the company have shown little interest in fixing it. They have literally told me they don't see it as a big problem.

11. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

elsiegee40 (16th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    #1 most important aspect? Data Protection Act compliance.

In our current MIS I have had to disable one module because using it would put us at risk of a Data Protection complaint. Luckily it's not a critical module, but the company have shown little interest in fixing it. They have literally told me they don't see it as a big problem.
    What does the module do out of interest that would cause DPA issues? You don't have to name the supplier!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    I don't want to go into specifics, but it exposes parts of staff personnel records to every other member of staff, which in my opinion is something a member of staff could rightly complain about.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In that case I think I know exactly what you mean.

Thank Post
    If we're being honest @GREED - it's to meet the legal requirements - such as census. For highs it's followed up closely by timetabling.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    SouthCoastSaint - from spring you will be able to txt/email staff that haven't completed their marksheets.
    ...assuming you buy InTouch...
    Which in the Autumn 11 release required a patch to stop SIMS crashing every 5-20 mins and losing all your work regardless of what module you were in. At least SOLUS3 your not paying anymore for buggy software

Also narked that your locked into a SMS provider. Especially as JANET have started offering a SMS service. Here Capita have some money for some buggy software oh and here's some more because I actually use it.

(Sorry, been a long cruddy day. At least I'm off tomorrow)

Thank Post
    I know no timetablers that timetable on paper, they rely heavily on a system to keep the school running.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast