+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS import problem in Technical; Please bear with me - I don't deal with SIMS as it is on the admin network, not my curriculum ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts

SIMS import problem

Please bear with me - I don't deal with SIMS as it is on the admin network, not my curriculum network but the dep head has asked me to post this...
    He is on a PC with Windows 7 and Office 2010
    SIMS will not let him import any data that ends in '.0' We need it to do this as , say, 5.0 is a standard grade.
    Sometimes, things that have been imported are put against the wrong child - or perhaps even just invented out of nowhere

Cannot print XML Word files directly from SIMS

Hope this makes sense, it doesn't to me. If you need any more info please let me know
    Last edited by witch; 2nd February 2012 at 12:42 PM.

Thank Post
    What version of SIMS are you guys running?

Thank Post
    If he is trying to import data into a Integer aspect rather than a decimal aspect, that could be one of the reasons as to why he can't data ending .0 into SIMS??

Thank Post
    We are running 7.142
    I dont think it can be an issue with the Integer aspect as he can import the other grade scores which are x.3 and x.7 without any issues

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Depends on aspect, if it's decimal, check what it allows you to input manually by typing. if it's a gradeset, maybe it's forced to require either with a .0 or just a whole number. Excel may also be masking the value it sends based on display settings. i.e. showing 1 d.p. even though it's not present, or vice versa.

With regards to word issues, make sure .xml files are associated with the office xml editor so if you save them to disk and try to open, they automatically open in word.

Also check some of the threads regarding office 2010 compatibility, and run the patches mentioned. The main one to try first is the microsoft office hotfix rollup from around June.

6. Thanks to vikpaw from:

witch (2nd February 2012)

Thank Post
    So how do we change it to accept the zero?
    And how do we associate .xml files with the xml editor?
    Look, it's late, I'm tired and I have no idea how to do anything....
    I did look for the other thread and sent the dep head the hotfixes thanks

Thank Post
    To associate the file, it's the normal file associations routine, so with windows 7, just type it at the start bar, and it should take you to the right place.
    Hotfixes are good to run, to rule out any compatibility issues.
    To zero in on the error, can you find it and give us the details, what type of aspect is it? i.e. grade,integer,decimal and any limits/ranges. The other thing you can do is open the marksheet that has the aspect it in, type in a z or full stop and it should fail validation and tell you what it likes to accept.

9. Thanks to vikpaw from:

witch (4th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi Witch,

Is he by any chance trying to import a Target Tracker (non-SIMS) assessment file into SIMS Assesssment Manager and translate the target tracker values of .0, .3 and .7 into c, b and a levels?

I only ask because I attempted the same feat (in the company of a Capita trainer) and found that it was a horrendously long, slow, complicated and labourious task, and more importantly that all the .0 values would not translate into c levels e.g. 5c. The .3's and .7's would all become 5b and 5a with little trouble, but all the .0's had to be changed manually to show 5c. (5 as an example, but could be any level).

I just wonder if that's what he's attempting. I decided in the end that it was just as quick (or slow I should say) to input the whole lot manually as it would be to attempt a transfer! I wasn't told why it was not possible (but then again I probably wouldn't have understood the why - I'm not a tech person!), just that it wasn't.

I'm sorry that this is probably no help at all, but may give someone else a clue if it is what he's trying to do... (I should probably add that TT is excel based.)
    Last edited by GeeHubb; 4th February 2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Clarity and typo

11. Thanks to GeeHubb from:

witch (4th February 2012)

Thank Post
    If we work out, why it's not working, and what the mismatch is, we should be able to doctor the source data so it will import. A find and replace should fix it. I think, sometimes it's a case that the system expects a .0 but Excel removes them, so you have to force a format, then convert to text, then import. Or, alter the allowed value in SIMS, which i think is what i did in the past, but this is a pain if there is existing data in there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    If we work out, why it's not working, and what the mismatch is, we should be able to doctor the source data so it will import. A find and replace should fix it. I think, sometimes it's a case that the system expects a .0 but Excel removes them, so you have to force a format, then convert to text, then import. Or, alter the allowed value in SIMS, which i think is what i did in the past, but this is a pain if there is existing data in there.
    Yes, I'm SURE you are right..if I knew what you were talking about.....will pass it on to relevant personnel.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Yes, I'm SURE you are right..if I knew what you were talking about.....will pass it on to relevant personnel.....
    Sorry, i was kinda talking to Gee/out in the open generally, about how to solve it.
    If you can get access to SIMS we can talk you through troubleshooting if that helps.

Thank Post

Thanks for all the assistance

Sorry, i was kinda talking to Gee/out in the open generally, about how to solve it.
    If you can get access to SIMS we can talk you through troubleshooting if that helps.
    I am the offending party who's struggling with SIMs import.

I am using a decimal grade set which accepts levels in the format 1.0, 1.3, 1.7 etc for level 1c, 1b, 1a etc. I have been using the system as it is currently set up for about 5 years and all has been well. I have been able to import data with the *.0 showing correctly and with the data arriving in the correct places. Upgrading to Windows 7 and Office 2010 seems to have coincided with the problems mentioned. I have changed nothing in SIMs (who knows what Capital have done! We have SIMs update sent to us by the LA and we're currently at version 7.142, build 28, database build 3.61.778). I am now having to type all data in manually which is not ideal!

Thank Post
    *phew*
    Over to you, Vik!

Thank Post
    @Richard34

The easiest thing would be to find / setup an old XP machine , in fact it could just be as simple as rolling back to an older version of Office. Even a virtual machine would do and is quite useful to have around just in case.
    Longer term, you need to run the office patches and hotfixes to rule out any issues there. This should solve the printing of reports issues.

The muddling up of grades against students was what put me off, some time ago. Recently, someone on here discovered that for them, it was to do with not having a UPN against the student. On import, you may have to do some manual matching, i think they come up in yellow if doubtful.

How are you importing grades? From a homemade spreadsheet or from one you've previously exported from SIMS? What error do you get on import of grades?
    Usually post import there is a massive list of errors, which you can normally ignore as it tells you it's doing nothing where there is a blank against a student, but you might find something in there, to show perhaps Excel or the import process is changing those *.0 into just * .....

Can you break the import sheet down to only 1 student for testing, then maybe alter the result to a text field...

Thank Post
    @Richard34

The easiest thing would be to find / setup an old XP machine , in fact it could just be as simple as rolling back to an older version of Office. Even a virtual machine would do and is quite useful to have around just in case.
    Longer term, you need to run the office patches and hotfixes to rule out any issues there. This should solve the printing of reports issues.

The muddling up of grades against students was what put me off, some time ago. Recently, someone on here discovered that for them, it was to do with not having a UPN against the student. On import, you may have to do some manual matching, i think they come up in yellow if doubtful.

How are you importing grades? From a homemade spreadsheet or from one you've previously exported from SIMS? What error do you get on import of grades?
    Usually post import there is a massive list of errors, which you can normally ignore as it tells you it's doing nothing where there is a blank against a student, but you might find something in there, to show perhaps Excel or the import process is changing those *.0 into just * .....

Can you break the import sheet down to only 1 student for testing, then maybe alter the result to a text field...
    The spreadsheet is one which I've previously exported. I do need to do a little bit of manual matching. You're quite right about the error message, it's usually unimportant but now tells me that I can't import 4 etc (the integers without the necessary .0). I've tried xml and csv spreadsheets and formatting both as number with one place of decimals and as text. Either option produces the same result.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast