+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, ? in Technical; ??...

Thank Post

?

??

Thank Post

Re: CentraStage

Do you know if this could automate the SIMS upgrade we've got in August?

Thank Post

Hi - yes, the SIMS upgrade can be completely automated using Centrastage and I now believe that is what Capita are endorsing.

Thank Post

Thanks for that. How did you find out about it? Who can i speak to? Is this only useful for the SIMS upgrade or can i use it for upgrades beyond August?

Thank Post

We are looking into whether or not this product would benefit our schools. Has anybody tested it yet? Can anyone see any real value in using it within a school environment?

Thank Post

My understanding was that CentraStage could be used to push out the Sims Infrastructure Update utility, which was going to be a right farce for technicians to go round their schools installing it on each and every admin machine that runs SIMS .Net.

I don't believe that it can be used for the standard monthly (near enough) Sims .Net or indeed the odd FMS upgrades.

As far as Centrastage goes, beyond this feature I personally can't see there been much use for this application within a primary school although having said that I could almost certainly be useful in seondary schools having to deal with larger networks.

Thank Post

I have had some involvement with CentraStage, which is really a tool aimed at helping local authorities support school ICT, as opposed to a tool for use by schools themselves. According to their marketing speel...

It will distribute software, enable remote takeover of devices, deploy and execute custom scripts - automatically to hundreds of devices across any network.

So useful for upgrading SIMS workstations etc, but more useful on an ongoing basis for general (remote) IT maintenance and support for school PCs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Can we have more details of this - links, pricing, Capita statements..?

Thank Post

I was under the impression that you had to create your own scripts to push software out and that it only supports MSIs?

If so, it doesn't appear to offer much over AD.

Thank Post

I believe the main selling poit was that it allowed LEAs the ability to push software and updates out centrally to their schools, however atm we are able to remote onto most of our schools servers and are able to push out applications and software through AD, all Centrastage would do for us is save us a little bit of time, but given that we don't really roll out any software on a grand scale to all schools at once (aside from the SIMS .Net upgrade which I'm still not convinced CentraStage can manage) it really doesn't seem to be worth the trouble or the cost for our LEA as far as I can see.

I have to agree with Skoggmeiger too, from what I've heard so CentraStage only supports MSI files and not EXEs much like AD, at a recent webinar CentraStage claimed that they would not be offering any assistance in converting EXEs to MSIs, so unless you are comfortable with this process already you may very well run into trouble, but again if you are already comfortable with this process your probably already pushing out software through AD and probably have no need for this product.

Thank Post

Re: ?

Has this thread been censored?
    Why change the subject to "?"?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Right ok undeleted this...

We did not edit it.. But.....

But there saving grace is that they edited the post which means they had hindsight to see spamming board was not a good idea.

But as Mark has said to me:-

Apologies DeadMetal and anyone else following this thread.

RedStore - the company, were selling their wares at a recent Capita Training event. I have a copy of the presentation given, where Centrastage was promoted, and Redstor advertised as the supplier of that and a few other, no doubt also seriously flawed and mis targetted applications for the central management of schools.

As a lot of the posters on this thread have very few other posts, it looks like the company were trying to dupe edugeek members with some free advertising.

Thank Post

If thats the same redstore as we have purchased server cases from in the past they are a bloody nightmare deal with.

Thank Post

To Whom It May Concern

I would like to apologise for any postings regarding CentraStage that have been made on this website by Redstor employees. Unfortunately a couple of our Telesales team have no experience of forums such as this, or the appropriate etiquette, and thought it would be a good idea to use the website to promote interest in CentraStage. Using the username ‘Redstor’ was perhaps a bit of a giveaway.

Redstor prides itself on providing useful technologies for Local Authorities and Schools. We do not condone this type of activity and we have taken the appropriate internal measures to ensure that comments such as these will not be made on this site, from our employees in the future.

Should anyone wish to discuss the comments made then please feel free to call me on 07818 045405. Once again, please accept my apologies for this situation.

P.S. We (Redstor… no ‘E’) do not sell servers

Kind Regards

Chris Sigley
    Head of Education - Redstor

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think your 'inexperienced' telesales bods may have just crippled any good feeling that our members may have had to your company. Underhanded tactics reflect very, very badly upon companies here. We get over 3.5 million hits a month here and word spreads quick. I would suggest someone has a word with them.
    Ask Sophos for more advice on this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information