+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Any Brummie or West Mids schools using Progresso yet...? in Technical; Before I comment - we are undecided (inspite of the Serco presentation yesterday!) One major consideration for you with SIMS ...

Thank Post
    Before I comment - we are undecided (inspite of the Serco presentation yesterday!)

One major consideration for you with SIMS (especially as you are considering moving to it from CMIS) is

1) Move all data / fill in all 'lost' data / train all staff / pay fees for x, y, z / get used to SIMS and its 'quirks' and advantages / disadvantages (which all systems will have)
    2) 2018 (at the earliest) you will be forced to adopt the new cloud-based SIMS system and repeat step 1 again

Whereas with Progresso already being cloud-based, they are 1-step ahead and you know there is no revisiting step 1 in 2018
    Last edited by MrData; 9th February 2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: dodgy grammar

Thank Post
    Hiya, I was at the Secondary meetings and felt the Capita were selling the whole package and Serco were demonstrating the changes from CMIS, so we had apples and oranges presentations. I liked the SIMS demo but they actually managed to demonstrate how hard it is to find anything as it's hidden with right-click menus, this is not possible on web pages and I feel is the real difference.
    We want our Teaching Staff to use the system so I favour moving to Progresso as I feel it is two steps forward on what we have now, with SIMS being 1 step forward.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    easy really when it looked so un-professional. After the conference I dont think i could persuade the head to even look at progresso again even if i wanted too. Unfortunately first impressions count and after that the head will always have that experience in her mind.
    I was in the primary conference by the way, not sure how the secondary one went
    10K? How much are they charging per pupil to come up with a figure of 10K

Thank Post
    @ridpool_John

Posted on behalf of Colin Watson, Serco Learning:

Dear John

Serco genuinely welcomes all feedback on our products and events, and Iím sorry your experience didnít live up to expectations. I extend an open invitation to you to meet with the Progresso team, where we can present Progresso to you in a more relaxed environment and discuss those areas where you have expressed reservations - either at our offices in Derby or at another convenient location for you. I would be very pleased if you were able to accept.

Kind Regards
    Colin

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Well hopefully it will be available as a site hosted solution - otherwise capita will be charging stupid amounts for hosting. And hopefully if they are looking to web-base it they will look at alternatives to MS SQL but i doubt that IMHO.
    For those schools considering moving to Sims .Net, Link2ICT are looking for one or two schools to pilot having their Sims system hosted rather than needing to be on the schools' servers. More information will be available soon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    @ridpool_John

Dear John

Serco genuinely welcomes all feedback on our products and events, and I’m sorry your experience didn’t live up to expectations. I extend an open invitation to you to meet with the Progresso team, where we can present Progresso to you in a more relaxed environment and discuss those areas where you have expressed reservations - either at our offices in Derby or at another convenient location for you. I would be very pleased if you were able to accept.

Kind Regards
    Colin
    @michael2k6 and Colin

A hands-on-demo would be a better option for us. We appreciate that portions may be work in progress (and would not judge on these portions), but something tangible is much better than a whistle-stop-guided-tour. We have to live with the product for many years after making our decision.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrData View Post
    Before I comment - we are undecided (inspite of the Serco presentation yesterday!)

One major consideration for you with SIMS (especially as you are considering moving to it from CMIS) is

1) Move all data / fill in all 'lost' data / train all staff / pay fees for x, y, z / get used to SIMS and its 'quirks' and advantages / disadvantages (which all systems will have)
    About 5 or 6 years ago, the school that I worked at then, moved from SIMS to CMIS. The data transfer was a nightmare and we lost lot of info, and the staff had to get used to the quirks of the new system. I suspect other moves would be a similar headache.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shenley View Post
    About 5 or 6 years ago, the school that I worked at then, moved from SIMS to CMIS. The data transfer was a nightmare and we lost lot of info, and the staff had to get used to the quirks of the new system. I suspect other moves would be a similar headache.
    With either option you'll encounter issues with data loss, staff training, and compatability with hardware but if its planned it should be fairly painless process.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    @ridpool_John

Dear John

Serco genuinely welcomes all feedback on our products and events, and I’m sorry your experience didn’t live up to expectations. I extend an open invitation to you to meet with the Progresso team, where we can present Progresso to you in a more relaxed environment and discuss those areas where you have expressed reservations - either at our offices in Derby or at another convenient location for you. I would be very pleased if you were able to accept.

Kind Regards
    Colin
    Dear Colin
    Thank you for your prompt reply, I will be delighted to accept your invitation and look forward to seeing Progresso in a better light. I'll check with my SLT and get back to yourselves regarding a suitable date and location I would like them to have a say in the choosing of the MIS and see it before they make a final choice.

Many thanks
    John

Thank Post
    Thanks John.

Kindest Regards
    Michael Sanderson
    Serco Learning

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    I went to the conference yesterday and was appalled byt the serco presentation. Progresso just didnt look like a finished product, the presentator just fumbled around and really didnt tell you anything and looking at the costs of progresso vs sims then how can a school justify spending £10k more on a product that just didnt work in the demo.

My headteacher and I were very annoyed and felt that we had wasted our afternoon. As a result we will be moving to sims which is a shame as I had high hopes for progresso.

By my man maths the costs where comparable so I'm not sure where the figure of 10grand more has come from...? For a school like mine 450 on role primary Sims.net was 15,870 over five years and Progresso was 16,230 give or take a few quid for variation in role does that sound right or did I miss something in the small print...?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ridpool_John View Post
    For a school like mine 450 on role
    Probably better off working with the prices quoted for a 500 school. Then you can be pleasantly suprised if the costs come down

Let me know if you didn't get the price sheet, I'll send the numbers via a PM if you want.

Though I'm sure a Link2ICT representative would be able to provide you the official document.

Thank Post
    Don't suppose any of you have a 'checklist' of things to consider/account for when migrating?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrData View Post
    Don't suppose any of you have a 'checklist' of things to consider/account for when migrating?
    Currently working on a draft of one with our Eaz advisors and other local schools but as each school uses facility slightly differently the plan varies slightly for each so it could be complicated, long process. Might be worth seeing if Link2ICt has one you could use as a starting point?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ridpool_John View Post
    By my man maths the costs where comparable so I'm not sure where the figure of 10grand more has come from...? For a school like mine 450 on role primary Sims.net was 15,870 over five years and Progresso was 16,230 give or take a few quid for variation in role does that sound right or did I miss something in the small print...?
    Hmm, I think the current licence price for Sims primary from a LA is £3.18pp x 5yrs = £7155, although you have to add on Capita's 5% a year price price. This price doesn't include support.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast