+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Any Brummie or West Mids schools using Progresso yet...? in Technical; Originally Posted by ChrisJ Yeah, I heard version 8 will be a hosted/cloud/whatever-the-buzzword-is-at-the-time system. Another reason we're going to wait. ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
    Yeah, I heard version 8 will be a hosted/cloud/whatever-the-buzzword-is-at-the-time system.

Another reason we're going to wait.

From what link2ict and Sims bods said yesterday I think we've got five years guarenteed with Sims.net in its current format after that it will be a new version. Possibly hosted but they couldn't confirm it.

APC

Thank Post
    I was in the secondary presentation of progresso and it was very well received with many colleagues around me commenting that they would wish to move to the system as soon as possible - especially when they saw the potential of the analysis tool in comparison with other systems on the market..

Having spoken to the schools currently using running the software it appears they are fully aware that they are currently 'Pioneer' schools and are therefore in effect doing final user testing of the software - hence the glitches / bug fixes mentioned - afterall any new system is going to get some bugs..

My main concern would be choosing to go through the lengthy and costly process of migrating systems in say 12months and then having to do so again in another 3-4years....

I guess the best answer at the moment is to wait and see how things develop over the next few months or so...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by APC View Post
    I was in the secondary presentation of progresso and it was very well received with many colleagues around me commenting that they would wish to move to the system as soon as possible - especially when they saw the potential of the analysis tool in comparison with other systems on the market..

Having spoken to the schools currently using running the software it appears they are fully aware that they are currently 'Pioneer' schools and are therefore in effect doing final user testing of the software - hence the glitches / bug fixes mentioned - afterall any new system is going to get some bugs..

My main concern would be choosing to go through the lengthy and costly process of migrating systems in say 12months and then having to do so again in another 3-4years....

I guess the best answer at the moment is to wait and see how things develop over the next few months or so...
    I agree with you on the concerns as both presentations mentioned a lifespan of 5 years, my presumption is that after that we play the whole game over again... As for the presentation I can't compare between secondary and primary events but the afternoon event just didn't give it a chance to shine...

yes, the pioneer schools did know they would be doing some fine tuning and that's fine I understand that and it's part of the develoopment process, I'd be interested to see how the schools are finding it in a months time and if the issues mentioned regarding speed and freezing reports panes are still occurring.

I know i keep saying this but it would have been nice if the product we saw in the afternoon was a finished example and not a prototype / demo site with limited functionality. Imagine for example if you went to a car dealer to look at their new model and all they offered to show you was a preproduction model with no engine, you be pretty miffed and would go elsewhere, and sadly I think a lot of people in the afternoon session will go to sims.net or something else because what was shown clearly didn't match the hype/marketing and expectations of the people there.

Serco bods if your listening and I know you are please show us the real potential of Progresso.

I'm keeping an open mind and am not making judgements on either until I've seen live versions working in bgfl school, as I don't think it's fair to base the purchase of a major package like this on a 40min presentation.

Thank Post
    The SIMS bumpf-pack addressed this (I know - I'm surprised I read it too!!!):

"....the next generation of SIMS, which will be a web-based, cloud solution.....[will not be] mandatory before April 2018 at the earliest"

PS Short time lurker / First time poster - hi all

5. 2 Thanks to MrData:

ChrisJ (9th February 2012), zag (24th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrData View Post
    The SIMS bumpf-pack addressed this (I know - I'm surprised I read it too!!!):

"....the next generation of SIMS, which will be a web-based, cloud solution.....[will not be] mandatory before April 2018 at the earliest"

PS Short time lurker / First time poster - hi all
    Well hopefully it will be available as a site hosted solution - otherwise capita will be charging stupid amounts for hosting. And hopefully if they are looking to web-base it they will look at alternatives to MS SQL but i doubt that IMHO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ridpool_John View Post
    I know i keep saying this but it would have been nice if the product we saw in the afternoon was a finished example and not a prototype / demo site with limited functionality. ......
    Serco bods if your listening and I know you are please show us the real potential of Progresso.
    Agreed!!! I have repeatedly made this request - hands-on is the only way forward. You can come and show us as many demos as you want, but I don't think an informed decision can be made without actually experimenting with BOTH (/all) solutions on offer. I'm digging my heels in and I would hope/think that many others would do the same,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrData View Post
    I don't think an informed decision can be made without actually experimenting with BOTH (/all) solutions on offer.
    Maybe they could provide us an account to try on the demo site they have (Or create a second instance so we don't cause too much trouble). At least we would then get an idea what it would be like on our own connections and existing hardware.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
    Maybe they could provide us an account to try on the demo site they have (Or create a second instance so we don't cause too much trouble). At least we would then get an idea what it would be like on our own connections and existing hardware.
    I would be happy with this too

Thank Post
    I went to the conference yesterday and was appalled byt the serco presentation. Progresso just didnt look like a finished product, the presentator just fumbled around and really didnt tell you anything and looking at the costs of progresso vs sims then how can a school justify spending £10k more on a product that just didnt work in the demo.

My headteacher and I were very annoyed and felt that we had wasted our afternoon. As a result we will be moving to sims which is a shame as I had high hopes for progresso.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    As a result we will be moving to sims
    That'll be you winning the iPod then

APC

Thank Post
    As a result we will be moving to sims which is a shame as I had high hopes for progresso.
    I really dont see how you can make a decision on something as important as the MIS system based on a sales presentation !

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by APC View Post
    I really dont see how you can make a decision on something as important as the MIS system based on a sales presentation !
    You'd be surprised what SLT are capable of.

Thank Post
    easy really when it looked so un-professional. After the conference I dont think i could persuade the head to even look at progresso again even if i wanted too. Unfortunately first impressions count and after that the head will always have that experience in her mind.
    I was in the primary conference by the way, not sure how the secondary one went

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    You'd be surprised what SLT are capable of.

APC

Thank Post
    not sure how the secondary one went
    I was in the secondary one and progresso went down very well - especially the analysis tool which looks very good.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast