+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, student information columns help in Technical; i need to turn on Gender, SEN, Behaviour and Giften and Talented with a weeks to display of 3 in ...
    Thank Post

student information columns help

i need to turn on Gender, SEN, Behaviour and Giften and Talented with a weeks to display of 3 in the Module setup portion of sims under the heading student information columns, i have been told by our support company that it has to be done manually, but i have about 60 people to do and would like to do it automatically for them, one activated they stay on no matter what machine they go on, i dont have direct access to the sims MSSQL database but i could probably rangle it somehow.

any help appriciated, thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Accessing the backend is not supported and will no doubt be tricky to find the right place.
    You can train the users to do it. Make a video. Show them keyboard shortcuts which used to work.
    The other alternative you can do publicly or on the sly, change their password, do it for them and then send them a new password.
    None of which are particularly quick.
    What i would do, which is a bit tricky also, is write a little vbscript that the user can run and it will send the keyboard shortcuts to do it for them. It does require the end user has permissions to run the script though.
    I did have one that i could dig out tomorrow. Basically the menus are easily accessible, so Alt+T, then S etc. space onto the columns you want.
    I mentioned it on a supportnet thread once, but it's probably hard to find on a search there.
    Give us a shout if you want to go the script method and i'll have a go tomorrow. Even if permissions are an issue, you could set up a machine with elevated rights in a staffroom, and tell the users to log in to SIMS and run the script.
    I know it's not exactly what you wanted but the best i can think of as a workaround.

Thank Post
    thanks, ive done most manually now, would be nice to have the script, might be something else i need to turn on in the future and it would be nice if it could be semmy automated

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    @alunmjones - here is an edit of my previous one, please open it in notepad after unzipping it. Read the caveats, and take a look at what it does. It's just simulated keyboard strokes but is pretty quick.
    It's hard to code ticking all the boxes you want, because they are toggles so if the user has already done something, then this will turn it off. If you want i can edit to suit for you, or have a go yourself. 6 Tabs takes you to the first box, and then you can space bar to toggle on.
    What i've got it to do is jump to display weeks and enter 3, then save. After that you can toggle the others you need and save again.
    Hope that helps. Give me a shout if you need a hand.

SetSIMSAttendanceOptions.zip

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread