+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Logins at same time as enrolment in Technical; Has anyone here fully integrated their MIS with their network system so that when a new student is enrolled / ...

Thank Post

Logins at same time as enrolment

Has anyone here fully integrated their MIS with their network system so that when a new student is enrolled / put on the MIS system they are automatically created a network login at the same time? Not exporting data into a CSV file!

Obviously this would involve enrolment staff having extra access to AD etc but it would be a lot more streamlined than a huge text file every morning!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,443 Posts
    Doesn't have to be that way I'd favour an automatic integrated system rather than giving someone eleveated access.

Ben

Thank Post
    These guys (SystemHOST | Extra-ordinary IT outsourcing) wrote us a utility called SimSync. This creates AD accounts automatically when students and staff join. It also disables them when they leave on SIMS. It runs over night for us but I can't see any reason why it couldn't run more often. Perhaps worth giving them a call.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Set this up at last place. This may not be suitable for your enviroment but it worked in ours.

A MS Database to pull from the MIS system database, manipulate and export the needed data as csv's. Use something like dovestones that will also create user and home areas from the csv's that were exported.

Task scheduler can be used to open the database (set the database to autorun) and create additional tasks to run Dovestones command line interfaces to use the exported csv's to update AD.

Just test, test and test on a test OU.

What puts you off having csv files?
    Last edited by Davit2005; 27th January 2012 at 11:19 AM.

Thank Post
    sims2ad - VBScript that reads a Capita SIMS database, or Excel file, compares to Active Directory, and add/removes/changes users as needed. Multiple site aware - Google Project Hosting is a script I part wrote, enables, disables, moves between sites from sims for pupils, or excel file for staff, easy enough to alter to do staff from sims if you wanted.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Most MISes i spoke to say that they are able to integrate. Certainly since they can do single sign on. So it should be possible to write a routine to push the new users into AD.
    Which one do you use @googlemad ?
    It would really only be semi-automatic, so a script / routine that runs overnight. But could in theory be triggered on-demand. I would want it to run as a different user, on the server, so you don't need to give elevated rights to the end user.
    For example with SIMS in order to use their SLG (sharepoint/VLE type product) they have a service called ADP, which is active directory provisioning that is scheduled to run overnight.
    Most routines will most likely need some intermediate step, be it csv or a direct read into another db. ADP stores it's own list in a table in the db.
    I would recommend @rpwillis from SalamanderSoft who can do all kinds of integration with various MIS, moodle, sharepoint, especially if you don't fancy hacking around the dbs or with code yourself.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,443 Posts
    Seems salamandersoft have it covered: SalamanderSoft Limited - Salamander Active Directory

Don't know about pricing though

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    sims2ad - VBScript that reads a Capita SIMS database, or Excel file, compares to Active Directory, and add/removes/changes users as needed. Multiple site aware - Google Project Hosting is a script I part wrote, enables, disables, moves between sites from sims for pupils, or excel file for staff, easy enough to alter to do staff from sims if you wanted.
    I see the script i wrote has found a new home.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    Has anyone here fully integrated their MIS with their network system so that when a new student is enrolled / put on the MIS system they are automatically created a network login at the same time? Not exporting data into a CSV file!

Obviously this would involve enrolment staff having extra access to AD etc but it would be a lot more streamlined than a huge text file every morning!
    There are SIF based applications that can do this and integrating with office365 and Google Apps.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    These guys (SystemHOST | Extra-ordinary IT outsourcing) wrote us a utility called SimSync. This creates AD accounts automatically when students and staff join. It also disables them when they leave on SIMS. It runs over night for us but I can't see any reason why it couldn't run more often. Perhaps worth giving them a call.
    I have have looked at their site but didn't come across it. Know any rough costs?

Thank Post
    We achieved this a few years ago. A script runs on a schedule (we have found overnight is frequently enough) and goes through the MIS data on the SQL server cross referencing each student against an MSAccess table. Any students / staff who do not have an entry in the MSAccess table have a new AD account, home drive, email address, canteen card number, library card reference etc. generated.

It works just as well with a single new student mid term as it does with our 300 strong new intake in September.

The interim MSAccess DB saves having to record information in the MIS and seems more efficient that having to check AD - it also gave us the opportunity to do a snap shot when we first started so that it didn't generate everyone a new account.

sdc
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Seems salamandersoft have it covered: SalamanderSoft Limited - Salamander Active Directory

Ben
    We use this very effectively; pricing is good in my opinion for what the software does.

13. Thanks to sdc from:

plexer (27th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    With SIMS, and granted is 2 years since my last use of it, used ADPT to do just this. It was the provisioning tool that bolted into SLG?

Anyone back me on that?
    Last edited by vikpaw; 28th January 2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: sneaky advertising

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post

Ben
    It's reasonable and depending on what you want doing can be flexible, and everything is customised to suit the environment, it's not like you're buying a boxed product.

Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    With SIMS, and granted is 2 years since my last use of it, used ADPT to do just this. It was the provisioning tool that bolted into SLG?

Anyone back me on that?
    @GREED
    I can back you on one thing - see post 6.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 28th January 2012 at 06:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    It's reasonable and depending on what you want doing can be flexible, and everything is customised to suit the environment, it's not like you're buying a boxed product.

@GREED
    I can back you on one thing - see post 6.

D'oh missed that bit totally! To be fair I would have expected you to have mentioned that mate

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast