+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Logins at same time as enrolment in Technical; If anyone is interested, Capita's ADP is available as a standalone product even if you don't want to use SLG, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,160 Posts
    If anyone is interested, Capita's ADP is available as a standalone product even if you don't want to use SLG, but why you would pay to have yourself tied down to a limited format for creating usernames, and not be able to use the admission number is beyond me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    If anyone is interested, Capita's ADP is available as a standalone product even if you don't want to use SLG, but why you would pay to have yourself tied down to a limited format for creating usernames, and not be able to use the admission number is beyond me.
    Can't be much to adapt it to pull any student field in to the scripts it uses. I'd say build a provisioning script oneself... If it were easier to get at the sims tables... Our school messed with that with some good successes, with the stumbling block being getting at the tables. Even had it disabling accounts if they 'left' out testing database.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    I see the script i wrote has found a new home.
    Yeah, lots of new features, probably mostly only of interest to me running 4 buildings with users transferred between them, still not bothered making it read an xml report instead of raw sql access though.

Added lots of comments too :-)

Thank Post
    I'd recommend @rpwillis from SalamanderSoft. I did put a propose forward to have it as part of our admin build but it didn't happen. Shame as it's a great tool.

Not sure why you would want to force little kids to remember admission numbers however @vikpaw!! Each onto their own!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I'd recommend @rpwillis from SalamanderSoft. I did put a propose forward to have it as part of our admin build but it didn't happen. Shame as it's a great tool.

Not sure why you would want to force little kids to remember admission numbers however @vikpaw !! Each onto their own!
    @rpwillis did a load of work for me yesterday
    @matt40k - it's not so onerous, i almost insisted on the change when i got here, as it used to be in the old format of yeargroup.lastname.firstinitial or something and had to be changed each year, then if you autocreate and there are too many Alis or Muhammads, then you take another letter, or add a number and it was a mess. Now, it's the same for 18 years, or more, and is usually a simple 4 digit number i.e. <2digit prefix><1234>. it's printed on their ID cards, in their planners, it's the library barcode, and teachers can see it in the registers if they forget. It was easier to make that change than it was to get teachers used to using Office 2010!
    I think of it as building skills for the future as remembering a 4-digit pin is going to be a main part of their life. In fact here, we have 6 digit pins so it's even more accurate in reality

Thank Post
    Ah k, could see how 100's of Muhammads might put a spanner in the works

Thank Post
    I went with year of birth, first name, initial of surname, and then add 1, 2, 3 on the end if duplicates exist. 96JoeB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12