+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Personnel 5.1 on Terminal Services in Technical; As the last part of our Terminal Services puzzle, we've been getting Personnel 5.1 to run (via the SIMS launcher). ...

Thank Post

Personnel 5.1 on Terminal Services

As the last part of our Terminal Services puzzle, we've been getting Personnel 5.1 to run (via the SIMS launcher). After a lot of digging around, it is now installed, but I did have to add some compatibility information into the registry on the terminal server to allow it to run:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server\Compatibility\Applications\LAUNCHER
    The 'Flags' (a REG_DWORD) value are set to '504' (hex) which basically directs all DLL and .ini references to the server system root (ie C:\windows) rather than each user's profile (C:\documents and settings\user\windows).

The only problem I'm currently encountering is that anyone running the Launcher has to be a machine admin, which isn't ideal.

If there was a definitive list of files/registry paths that Launcher/Personnel accesses, I could change permissions accordingly. Bit of a long shot, I know, but it never hurts to ask

Stephen

Thank Post

Re: Personnel 5.1 on Terminal Services

You would use a comination of filemon and regmon from sysinternals or the new process monitor from microsofts acquisiton of sysinternals. this will list all the things the process is attempting to access.

after looking throught this i imagine you will be able to sort it

fooby

Thank Post

Re: Personnel 5.1 on Terminal Services

After spending a mind-numbingly long time reading through registry/file access logs, I discovered that the problem lay with the SIMS server machines, and not the terminal server

I'd given the Windows users full control over the SIMS folder within the SIMS share, but I apparently needed to give them full control over the root of the share too! Can't really see why, since nothing gets put in the share root, but I'll put it down to a combination of crusty old code and Microsoft Terminal Services.

Now, if RM could just discover why the VPNs don't work, I'll be happy...

Stephen

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread