+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS behaviour in Technical; Hi, Is there any way that when a student reaches say 20 negative behaviour logs that SIMS can automatically send ...

Thank Post

SIMS behaviour

Hi,

Is there any way that when a student reaches say 20 negative behaviour logs that SIMS can automatically send an e-mail to for example the head of year?

Thanks

Chris

Thank Post
    If you take a look at the Discover module it should give you an idea of how you can achieve this and more complex alerts.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 25th January 2012 at 06:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    If you take a look at the Discover module it should give you an idea of how you can achieve this and more complex alerts.
    When is SIMS Discover available to schools? If it already is do I have to do anything to get it access it?

Thanks

Chris

Thank Post
    It is available now and you should be able to deploy it through SOLUS3.

Thank Post
    should be available to all schools. talk to your local support team. Be aware that unless you have implimented Solus 3 you will need to install this manually

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skunk View Post
    It is available now and you should be able to deploy it through SOLUS3.
    We still have Solus 2 here. Maybe our County is holding it back?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgoodrich View Post
    We still have Solus 2 here. Maybe our County is holding it back?
    Check out this link SIMS Discover | capita-sims.co.uk which shows how it can solve your issue, and the other link on that page : Stream Connect - Player

The main thing to bear in mind, is that it's FREE - yes, if you have SIMS, you have DISCOVER. I'm of the view that you don't need to push it out to all staff. Therefore you don't need to worry about the headache of SOLUS 3. If you have the time, get on SupportNet and download the ISO and instructions to install it. You can play with it yourself and give some staff remote access to start trying it. You'll have to manually update, but initially give it a go. It's been on my to do list for a while.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Check out this link SIMS Discover | capita-sims.co.uk which shows how it can solve your issue, and the other link on that page : Stream Connect - Player

The main thing to bear in mind, is that it's FREE - yes, if you have SIMS, you have DISCOVER. I'm of the view that you don't need to push it out to all staff. Therefore you don't need to worry about the headache of SOLUS 3. If you have the time, get on SupportNet and download the ISO and instructions to install it. You can play with it yourself and give some staff remote access to start trying it. You'll have to manually update, but initially give it a go. It's been on my to do list for a while.
    But you do need to be aware that if you push this out from the iso and install on the srever and then on specific work stations you will need to manually do this for the upgrades.

Thank Post
    I know. When i do it, i don't see it going to more than 2 people other than myself. Also, you don't have to upgrade it do you.

Thank Post
    granted you theoretically don't need to upgrade discover when SIMS is upgraded. But with Solus 3 working the install and control of Discover is actually quite nice.
    Also worth taking time to schedule the backups of the discover database. I know there isn't data stored but it does make it easier if the users have a number of graphs etc that they setup.

Thank Post
    What do you need to run Discover? Do you need a Server to run it on and then a Client with a dedicated graphics card to show all the nice graphs? SQL Express or SQL Full? Do you keep it off the SIMS Server and give it its own dedicated server? So many questions and not many answers in the Discover installation Guide!!

Thank Post
    It will normally run well on any desk top. Integrated graphics laptops are hit and miss but mostly OK. A netbook is hopeless. It should run on the same box as SIMS unless that's already being thrashed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    It will normally run well on any desk top. Integrated graphics laptops are hit and miss but mostly OK. A netbook is hopeless. It should run on the same box as SIMS unless that's already being thrashed.
    So no need for a dedicated graphics card for desktops? I would prefer to keep any additional load off my SIMS server. Would a VM be ok? All our staff run with either Dell optiplex 745 or Dell optiplex 755 machines. Are these good enough?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    What do you need to run Discover? Do you need a Server to run it on and then a Client with a dedicated graphics card to show all the nice graphs? SQL Express or SQL Full? Do you keep it off the SIMS Server and give it its own dedicated server? So many questions and not many answers in the Discover installation Guide!!
    @fiza - some similar questions were asked a while back - check this thread: Discover
    i would go for separate vm, express would be okay, and you could run it local if you wanted initially for testing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread