+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Live MIS data in Google Spreadsheets in Technical; I hope for your sake the schools governers has sign this off - personally as a parent I would want ...

Thank Post
    I hope for your sake the schools governers has sign this off - personally as a parent I would want to be informed that my child's data is being sent off to non-EU companies\data centers - I appreate this is Google and they take security very seriously - Security & Privacy ? Google Apps for Education but still.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I hope for your sake the schools governers has sign this off - personally as a parent I would want to be informed that my child's data is being sent off to non-EU companies\data centers - I appreate this is Google and they take security very seriously - Security & Privacy ? Google Apps for Education but still.
    Yes and we informed the ICO - parents can see out ICO listing. Many multinational companies are using Google for this sort of thing. As I said earlier in the thread I think we are more at risk with people sharing or loosing spreadsheets exported from SIMS. At least I can audit permissions and see who has access with Google.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Yes and we informed the ICO - parents can see out ICO listing. Many multinational companies are using Google for this sort of thing. As I said earlier in the thread I think we are more at risk with people sharing or loosing spreadsheets exported from SIMS. At least I can audit permissions and see who has access with Google.
    So long as you've agreed a solution and you've limited the risk, you'll be fine. So if you're exporting spreadsheet to USB pens, the usb pens are encrypted and the teachers are trained not to save other then the encrypted usb pen. Similar thing with Google Spreadsheet, don't save anywhere else etc.

Thank Post
    Hey, good work, CyberNerd! I stumbled across your post when looking for a way to interface with SIMS in order to extract the data needed to create Groups in GApps. Does your approach do that, and do you know if that's the best way to tackle this requirement? I have next-to-no programming/scripting knowledge, but could lay my hands on some if need be.

Thank Post
    Hope this isn't off thread, took a slightly different approach created an App for this so created the Marksheets in SIM's with data being analysed as much as possible then export these to Excel onto the Network and tidied these up then these are linked to the App with a button for each departments data.So data doen't leave Network Staff use remote access if they wish to use access the data outside of school hours. So data stays in school.

6. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

CyberNerd (9th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edintheclouds View Post
    Hey, good work, CyberNerd! I stumbled across your post when looking for a way to interface with SIMS in order to extract the data needed to create Groups in GApps. Does your approach do that, and do you know if that's the best way to tackle this requirement? I have next-to-no programming/scripting knowledge, but could lay my hands on some if need be.
    We used the Google Active Directory sync to create teachers mailing groups.
    I've not tried creating classgroups in google apps (we have classgroups in moodle synced to SIMS and tend to use moodle for that type of thing) but maybe you could do it with google-apps-manager and a scheduled script?
    GettingStarted - google-apps-manager - Downloading, Installing and Using GAM - Dito Google Apps Manager - Google Project Hosting

8. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

eean (10th March 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12