+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Accessing SIMS.Net database through ASP? in Technical; Hi, first of all can I say that I'm not a techy, I'm a teacher but I'm as much of ...

Thank Post

Accessing SIMS.Net database through ASP?

Hi, first of all can I say that I'm not a techy, I'm a teacher but I'm as much of a geek as you lot

I've got a system set up at school that works as an assessment tracker for the kids - it's basically a series of ASP pages linked to an Access database so I can set up tasks for the GCSE kids to do and then add their marks to it. That's simplifying it a little bit, but it's an overview.

A major problem looming is that in September I'm going to have to update all of the pupils in the database. The SIMs.NET database will be updated of course, so my plan is to somehow tap in to that...

I don't want to write to the SIMs database, just read from it from my webserver. Unfortunately, I haven't got a clue where to start. Has this been done by anyone on here before? Any pointers for help???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Accessing SIMS.Net database through ASP?

Apparently we're not allowed to do that, a Capita restriction I believe. However you can use the Command Line Reporting Tool to export existing reports to CSV or XML format.

There is very little documentation for this - the best you'll get is running C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net\CommandReporter.exe with the /? switch.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Your not allowed to touch the Sims Database directly. It's not allowed in the EULA. However you can generate a CSV file with the information you require using the reports functionality. It should be fairly simple to process this with ASP.

Thank Post

Cheers for the info. Theoretically speaking then, although I'm not allowed to do it, would it be possible?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes, but your SIMS.NET license explodes.

Thank Post

Exactly what info do you want to get out that you might need direct access, the command line reporting tool should be enough to get info out shouldnt it? If not, could you not create a sims report.. even tho this is pretty much the same thing as command line version..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts

Have you spoken to your network manager at the school or data manager to ascertain these facts which he would already know.

Information especially the schools Sims database is very crucial to the every day to day running of the school and to be tampered with is a fate worse than death by a thousand cuts.

Analogy: "If a teacher cries off sick then it is the Sims that generates the cover so in effect we can manage without a teacher but not without the Sims"

Thank Post

All I really need to get is pupil names, classes, etc. The crucial part is that if a new kid gets entered onto SIMS or any data about them is changed, I need my system to automatically pick it up without any interaction from me.

The network manager / technicians are very good and helpful, but don't know how to go with this, hence why I'm no here...

I get you though about the importance of SIMs, If I messed it up I wouldn't bother coming into work the next day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

For your situation... create a report to get the info you need, schedule the command reporter to export the report every X hours/days (this will vary depending on how often data is updated in SIMS and how soon this is required in your app), and then another schedule to import that data into your app.

Thank Post

Sounds like a nice little project you got yourself there. I've recently dived into looking into ASP and Microsoft SQL Server and it appears alot more confusing then MySQL which is my preferred DB Server.

Im glad people actually look into doing things that most people wouldnt dream of. We have a teacher guy at my place that shows alot of interest in making his own little tools that tie into other applications.

Good luck mate

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread