+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, What would you ask your MIS's MD? in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k Just need a bit of moonlight - Moonlight - Mono Seriously, Capita aren't that stupid to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Just need a bit of moonlight - Moonlight - Mono

Seriously, Capita aren't that stupid to lock themselves in to Silverlight... I hope. Or at least have non-silverlight option... I hope.
    Did MS ever get silverlight on Android/ipads?
    I thought Capita had done just that - with Discover being silverlight based, or am i mistaken there?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Did MS ever get silverlight on Android/ipads?
    I thought Capita had done just that - with Discover being silverlight based, or am i mistaken there?
    but lets face it discover is awful so i wouldn't mind to much if they had to stop making it/restart the project not using silverlight!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    but lets face it discover is awful so i wouldn't mind to much if they had to stop making it/restart the project not using silverlight!
    Was under the impression Discover used WPF - which is the next step in the .net technology. Silverlight is a sub-set of WPF. I would image HTML5 will replace it, IE10 is rumoured to have hardware support for HTML5, you can offload rendering stuff to the vga card - basically one of strong points of Silverlight. Otherwise browsers will be playing catch up, it's predicted that this technology will kill off Firefox.

If you have a machine that runs Windows 7 with aero etc ok, then Discover will be find, that 5 year old XP machine however is another story.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    hey guys slow down. some great thoughts as usual, but that's been covered elsewhere.
    i want some questions to ask, not for us to start up a big debate again.
    so how do we put it all succinctly?

There is increasing demand for portability and OS independence, with that in mind what plans are there for creating a web version, and what sort of timeframe can be expected?

Please advise to amend if required.

Schools face a certain amount of lock-in, due to the difficulty involved in changing MIS, how do you appease these resistant users..?

Not sure about that one, or exactly what i'm getting at yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Was under the impression Discover used WPF - which is the next step in the .net technology. Silverlight is a sub-set of WPF. I would image HTML5 will replace it, IE10 is rumoured to have hardware support for HTML5, you can offload rendering stuff to the vga card - basically one of strong points of Silverlight. Otherwise browsers will be playing catch up, it's predicted that this technology will kill off Firefox.

If you have a machine that runs Windows 7 with aero etc ok, then Discover will be find, that 5 year old XP machine however is another story.
    It runs it fine not a problem (Intel core I3, 4Gb ram SSD) - its just a pain in the backside to make the thing work to get useable info out of it.

I'm not 100% sure what it runs i can't remember i'll have a look in the morning.

Thank Post
    @vikpaw

Portability and OS independence is a difficult one, if things continue, ie next few year they're making more job cuts and general budget cuts, hardware won't get replaced and the idea of install Google OS onto desktop will seem like the answer. Most of the web MIS systems I've seen are either, problematic and feature limited or look like they're built back in 1995 and lack features that would be a must nowadays.

General grilling questions are normally:

- LA schools converting to Academy - would they need to re-license.
    - Migration from other MIS package to their package - what's the sort of % what can be migrated (remaining will need to be re-entered) - 100% isn't realistic answer
    - SIF Support
    - How often do they update
    - Roadmap for the next 1/3/5+ years
    - Testing of new releases
    - Licensing model
    - Hosted \ self-hosted
    - Support times and SLAs
    - Interface for LA (eg SIMS > ONE)
    - Web portal (parents \ students \ staff)

7. Thanks to matt40k from:

vikpaw (10th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    cheers matt. for the bottom 5/6, do you just mean to ask, Do you have..? or What is your ..? ? I think those will be a given unless it's a new company, i'm hoping to see some. The top ones are spot on the sort of thing i was looking for.

Thank Post
    Every company will have a 1/3/5 year plan. Timescale might be different. Might be better to ask long term where are you heading and what do you have coming up in the next release and in next few releases (other then bugfixes).

Yer, how do you test releases. Basically politely asking if your going to be a guinee pig and if you are, how you will you be feed. Just remember to have you sales filter on. So if they say something will happen in Summer, ask what Summer and get it in writing. Normally they change the date at this point

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've said this before, so search for my more detailed answer.
    I know, we've butted heads on this before and I still disagree with you.
    Personally if you're high look at either SCCM (which with the new MS licensing is peanuts) or SOLUS3 (can be a pain, but free)

Well reading your own recent comments SOLUS 3 doesn't seem like a bundle of fun at the moment:
    6th January 2012, 02:04 PM
    Upgrading SIMS seems to be a nightmare at the moment

Thank Post
    @ VikPaw - If you happen to speak to anyone at RM about Integris:

1. When will you start asking for input on the design and features of the MIS from people who use the software?
    2. Why after being "Live" for three years is the product still unfinished?

Thank Post
    @vikpaw

Portability and OS independence is a difficult one, if things continue, ie next few year they're making more job cuts and general budget cuts, hardware won't get replaced and the idea of install Google OS onto desktop will seem like the answer. Most of the web MIS systems I've seen are either, problematic and feature limited or look like they're built back in 1995 and lack features that would be a must nowadays.
    with sims though as its based around an sql backend at least the bits teachers use so basically attendance shouldnt i would of thought be that hard to use via an internal webpage (iis) as its just adding/reading records from an sql database granted some of the reporting id imagine would be a pig but if it was just a teachers web interface so they could tick to say kids are there or not that would massively cut down the number of pcs the full application is needed on

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    with sims though as its based around an sql backend at least the bits teachers use so basically attendance shouldnt i would of thought be that hard to use via an internal webpage (iis) as its just adding/reading records from an sql database granted some of the reporting id imagine would be a pig but if it was just a teachers web interface so they could tick to say kids are there or not that would massively cut down the number of pcs the full application is needed on
    This is how Schoolbase does it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Schoolbase is very simplistic compared to sims though. That said, more staff find schoolbase easier to use.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Sorry, fraid not! Currently I am off work too with v.bad head cold! And on a v.special birthday! :-(
    That's a real shame Mike. If I'm passing your way again soon I'll be sure to drop in and say hi! (with a warning before of course!)

Thank Post
    If I got the chance to meet a few of the big players in MIS' i would definitely want to know what their thoughts are on the following...

Who would win in a fight between a badger and a fox??

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast