+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, What would you ask your MIS's MD? in Technical; Originally Posted by GREED Mike!! Long time no speak! Are you coming to BETT?? Sorry, fraid not! Currently I am ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Mike!! Long time no speak! Are you coming to BETT??
    Sorry, fraid not! Currently I am off work too with v.bad head cold! And on a v.special birthday! :-(

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Thanks for all the great input guys. Don't forget, it's not necessarily one MIS i was considering, but i see where you are with some of those sims questions.
    It's not just that this is a public event, i'm not planning on getting up on stage with a microphone, just wandering what info people might like.
    Anyone can ask these questions, but with 25,000+ schools, if everyone raised there hand, they'd spend a year writing responses and not developing the products, this gives us a chance to push some questions collectively and share the responses.

Thank Post
    My question... what? No chocolates at Christmas! My birthday's in March, what you getting me?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    When will you make this an operating system independent Web application? It is long overdue.
    Oh god, another person jumping on the cloud bandwagon. I agree for most teachers, a pretty web front end would be better then a bloated .net application. I miss the old bromcom winfolder, didn't matter if it was out-of-date and it was under 10mb.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    One question: Why can't we have an msi for SIMS deployment?
    I've said this before, so search for my more detailed answer. It's possible, but it won't help everyone, centrally hosted would have to have a transformation tool and MSI introduces more problems. Was just having fun today with s3 agent, didn't know it was even possible to have the same msi installed twice!!

Personally if you're high look at either SCCM (which with the new MS licensing is peanuts) or SOLUS3 (can be a pain, but free)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post

Oh god, another person jumping on the cloud bandwagon. I agree for most teachers, a pretty web front end would be better then a bloated .net application. I miss the old bromcom winfolder, didn't matter if it was out-of-date and it was under 10mb.
    It doesn't necessarily need to be in the cloud, onsite would be fine -I just need something that doesn't have to be installed on the clients, something that is operating system independant and supports web standards. some of our teachers are crying out for android/ipad devices and (certain) .NET applications are becoming a huge barrier to how our teachers want to progress teaching and learning. It's starting to get very expensive (30k p/a when including MIS licensing) if we're buying MS licenses, SQL, Server, CALS etc essentially to run a MIS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    something that is operating system independant and supports web standards. some of our teachers are crying out for android/ipad devices and (certain)
    Key point - without any extra cost!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Terminal services or remote apps??
    But saying S3 'can be a pain' is an understatement

Thank Post
    More money tho isn't it and another set of problems.

Thank Post
    More money tho isn't it and another set of problems.
    Indeed.
    all the MIS systems I've seen are relatively basic compared to the plethora of web 2.0 apps around. This isn't 1995. Capita should really move this forward; at the very least to save schools a few quid in support and licensing.

Thank Post
    Mmm... I don't think web 2.0 is the answer to all the problems. HTML5 should be a good step forward, but not the miracle. Certain things can't be done and I think it's important to remember that.

Personally the biggest problem is, soon as Capita release a web MIS, they're going to be stupid and force only hosted, which lets face it, they're pants at. Let's hope I'm wrong about them forcing it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mmm... I don't think web 2.0 is the answer to all the problems. HTML5 should be a good step forward, but not the miracle. Certain things can't be done and I think it's important to remember that.

Personally the biggest problem is, soon as Capita release a web MIS, they're going to be stupid and force only hosted, which lets face it, they're pants at. Let's hope I'm wrong about them forcing it.
    What can't be done in HTML5 + AJAX + DOM stuff? There is much more complicated software out there which is entirely web based - just look at Zoho!

Thank Post
    Browser apps are pretty powerful these days. It could be done, for sure.

More likely hosted AND silverlight, worst of both worlds - knowing capita

Thank Post
    Zoho looks rather basic IMHO - nothing I haven't seen before on Google Apps. BT are pushing
    Aspen - they're on stand J6 if your going to BETT -
    Online gradebook and school administration software | Follett Software

Hey CyberNerd, Silverlight isn't that bad, besides, it could be worse, it could be flash!!

13. Thanks to matt40k from:

GREED (10th January 2012)

Thank Post

Hey CyberNerd, Silverlight isn't that bad, besides, it could be worse, it could be flash!!
    would prefer something that works ubiquitously. only open standards can achieve that.

Thank Post
    Just need a bit of moonlight - Moonlight - Mono

Seriously, Capita aren't that stupid to lock themselves in to Silverlight... I hope. Or at least have non-silverlight option... I hope.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    There is a school near me which mainly uses the SLG web-parts for their classroom teacher to do the majority of the stuff they need to in sims. But I think they have put away a whole web development team together to setup the system over a few years. Is pretty good though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast