+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SOLUS3 - Upgrade query in Technical; Hi, If an upgrade is ran via Solus3 and some of the workstations are offline, i was under the impression ...
    Thank Post

SOLUS3 - Upgrade query

Hi,

If an upgrade is ran via Solus3 and some of the workstations are offline, i was under the impression that when they get switched on they will automatically upgrade and was also told this is the case by Capita. But i tested this and that didn't happen, the machines that were off never upgraded when switched on. Obviously this causes a massive issue with laptops being taken off site etc. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue or can shed any light on it?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. You can redeploy the update when the machines are on, souls will then skip those machines already upgraded.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_1 View Post
    Hi,

If an upgrade is ran via Solus3 and some of the workstations are offline, i was under the impression that when they get switched on they will automatically upgrade and was also told this is the case by Capita. But i tested this and that didn't happen, the machines that were off never upgraded when switched on. Obviously this causes a massive issue with laptops being taken off site etc. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue or can shed any light on it?

Thanks
    I'm in the same boat. I'm sure it did it previously. Not happy bunny. They've having a look at it at the moment.
    Last edited by matt40k; 6th January 2012 at 10:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I'm sure it did it previously. Not happy bunny. They've having a look at it at the moment.
    Yeh, i'm sure when i first started testing it months ago it worked correctly, although alittle hit and miss but now doesnt work at all.

I've done the redeploy to get it on the machines that were missed first time round like you say Stuart but it isnt ideal, i was just wondering if it was sometihng i was doing wrong or other people were experiencing the same.

Thank Post
    I'm finding it flaky on all fronts at the moment.

1) It reports that the client has been installed on ones it hasn't actually done (visit to machine confirms this) and reports that it isn't installed on ones where the client is running happily so I'm not sure whether or not the machine is going to get updated at all.
    2) The interface is clunky and non intuitive and re-deploying is a right faff and a bit hit and miss whether it works or not.
    3) There is no provision to easily re-deploy if a PC has been re-imaged. You have to jump through hoops and delve into the database to fix this because of the GUID assigned.

I've a good mind to remove the client altogether and move back to SOLUS2 because I'm reluctant to install the last update via SOLUS3 because of these issues. If only you could distribute Discover via SOLUS2

HBJB

Thank Post
    No, SOLUS2 must die.

1 - It's because they had SIMS opened.

2 - Agreed

3 - Can I just confirm what's happening?

Machine A dies\has a problem\whatever - gets reimaged. Do you then go onto SOLUS3, click the remove computer button, then add the new machine back onto SOLUS3? Or do you just set the machine to "installed failed" then reinstall?

Thank Post
    No, SOLUS2 must die.

1 - It's because they had SIMS opened.

2 - Agreed

3 - Can I just confirm what's happening?

Machine A dies\has a problem\whatever - gets reimaged. Do you then go onto SOLUS3, click the remove computer button, then add the new machine back onto SOLUS3? Or do you just set the machine to "installed failed" then reinstall?
    1: SIMS not always opened - I tried it on a couple of test boxes - agreed that some users ignored the 'close SIMS now' message though.
    2:
    3: Yes to click remove - but then we're back to points 1 & 2 and the machine stays permanently marked as 'removed'.

I simply can't trust it to do a good and reliable job. I want to and God knows I've tried to make it work but ...

HBJB

Thank Post
    If you remove it, then add it on again, it'll create a new record in the database, so the GUID will be different. When it installs, it won't find SIMS, so SIMS gets installed. None of this faff of redeploying.

Upgrading SIMS seems to be a nightmare at the moment, almost so that it's worth removing SIMS then reinstalling!!

I've made a few suggestions to Capita. Hopefully they do my idea of a failsafe version check, basically like SIMSLOAD does for SOLUS2 only more intelligent. I've also asked for the S3 agent to become a bit more advanced - so you can see more of what's going on and actually force it from the agent. It's not good when you're in front of a workstation and you have to remote into the server to see what's going on (or try and find the logs)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can't say I'm too chuffed at the moment, about half the machines with Solus3 agents on failed to update.

I don't run the Classrooms PCs with Solus3 on at the moment, as I'm quite happy how we've done things by creating a package (using Prism) and install SIMS on those machines that way. To my horror, with the latest release there are no setup files for this release of SIMS. It just installed the older version, and machines wouldn't update the old fashion way. The helpdesk informed me I can just copy over the SIMS .net folder on an existing install to get the latest version running, which is what I've essentially done this time round. Apparently there will be a single file to install SIMS manually in the future, but not yet.

Or, maybe I'm just missing something!

Pete

Thank Post
    I hate the fact that you have to spoon feed SOLUS3 every piece of information about your setup before you can even consider using it! Why can't it just get the details from the sims.ini and connect.ini?

I also hate the fact that the SOLUS3 Agent knocks out SIMSLoad.exe when using S3 to Manage Discover and S2 to managed SIMS/FMS. Running the same upgrade through two separate update systems?! /bleugh!

Thank Post
    @Rawns - still moaning about SIMSLOAD? Tis. Did you see my app to generate a text file with the settings? Then you just have to C'n'P, prefer it that way as you don't get historical bugs - the sims.ini having a wrong path - assuming you check what your pasting!

Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    Apparently there will be a single file to install SIMS manually in the future, but not yet.
    That was SOLUS3, rather then having a database, service and UI msi, they're on about having just 1 installer. Personally, I like the way it is now. If you want, you can still get SIMSApplicationSetup.exe etc.

Thank Post
    @Rawns - still moaning about SIMSLOAD? Tis. Did you see my app to generate a text file with the settings? Then you just have to C'n'P, prefer it that way as you don't get historical bugs - the sims.ini having a wrong path - assuming you check what your pasting!
    Yep, still moaning and will most likely continue to moan!

The ball is really rolling on this now and we are installing S3 and configuring it for all our schools who want Discover. Up to about 20 or so now? The manual config of S3 is a pain doing it over and over again! And then having the knock on effect of having to go back to each site to push out a SIMS upgrade for workstations that don't get automatically upgraded because they have an S3 Agent is extremely time consuming! I get S3 is the next thing and think if a lot of the problems/design flaws can be ironed out, then it will prove it's worth. However, I don't see why a S3 Agent has to block SIMSLoad if your not using S3 for SIMS upgrades yet due to having an effective solution in place while waiting for S3 to be improved.

We know that all of our SIMS.INI's are all accurate on school servers after creating accurate ones via CentraStage.

We are also using your tool and it's proving to be very useful! The installation of SOLUS3 is a breeze now thanks to you help too!

Thank Post
    I've also found the upgrade to be a real pain this time. Taking up loads of my time!!

The main problem is with staff laptops which were obviously offsite during the Christmas holidays when I originally carried out the upgrade. Firstly, the Solus3 UI showed any devices not running the latest version of Solus3 as being 'offline' even though they weren't so that was quite a headache to sort out; we also had some showing in the UI that 'another deployment is currently in progress' and were stuck with 'install active' (The ESS utility seemed unable to reset them to 'install failed'). The upgrade itself showed as being 'In Progress' from December 19th to when we returned after Christmas despite restarting services and the SIMS server.

Very disappointing. Capita very slow to respond to our helpdesk calls too :-(

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danbee View Post
    I've also found the upgrade to be a real pain this time. Taking up loads of my time!!
    Welcome to the club.

Firstly, the Solus3 UI showed any devices not running the latest version of Solus3 as being 'offline' even though they weren'
    If they didn't get the agent upgraded to .103, then in 5 mins (by default) they will get marked as offline. In the UI, go into Settings and untick (turn off) client\agent heartbeat. Go back to the SOLUS3 agents then do a "check status" for all the workstations.

The ESS utility seemed unable to reset them to 'install failed'
    Just downloaded it as it sounded impressive. Well it made me laugh. All that does is if you've got a machine set as install active marks it as install failed - this is only useful when you have a machine that has been switched off mid install of the SOLUS3 agent - nothing more, so it won't help.

The upgrade itself showed as being 'In Progress' from December 19th
    Found restarting the SOLUS3 Deployment Service "resolved" this, not sure if the affect school stops SQL in order to back it up. Basically if you do stop SQL to back it up, you need to stop the S3 deployment service before doing so and ideally the server s3 agent before the deployment service

15. Thanks to matt40k from:

danbee (9th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Does anyone know if the SOLUS3 log file for the database can be put into SIMPLE mode? The database gets created in FULL recovery mode and some log files seem to be getting rather large.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast