+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Document Mangement Server - empty documents? in Technical; I'm in the process of moving SIMS to a new server, and have got most things sorted - SIM .Net ...

Thank Post

SIMS Document Mangement Server - empty documents?

I'm in the process of moving SIMS to a new server, and have got most things sorted - SIM .Net runs, FMS is ok, and even the old Personnel stuff works.

The only problem I have left is that whenever I try to open a linked document from a pupil's view in SIMS.Net, I get prompted to download the file, which always ends up being empty.

I've checked that the Document Server is running, and that SIMS can see it - it all looks fine. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Stephen

Thank Post

Re: SIMS Document Mangement Server - empty documents?

first things first.. Did you copy the DOCSTORAGE folder over? If you did, go into the DOCSTORAGE on the new server and see if there are two folders inside it, eg one is COMPUTERNAME and the other is IP.

Make a backup of the docstorage then check which of the two folders is from the old machine (ie. by date or by name etc). Then copy the old folder contents into the new folder contents. Go back into sims, import the newest reports then try again.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by the.damon
    first things first.. Did you copy the DOCSTORAGE folder over? If you did, go into the DOCSTORAGE on the new server and see if there are two folders inside it, eg one is COMPUTERNAME and the other is IP.
    I've done the following:

1) Run the SIMSInst.exe and chose to install the Document Server, setting the location to the local drive (S:\DOCSTORAGE in this case - and yes, that is a local drive!)

2) Once Document Server is installed, I've stopped the service, copied over the old folder from the backup, and renamed it to the name of the new server, so I now have: S:\DOCSTORAGE\NEWSERVER\SIMS\SIMS containing all the subfolders and files

3) From within SIMS .Net I can attach new files to individual pupils, and retrieve them without any problems, and these new files are going to the correct place within the path mentioned above.

4) If I click 'View' on any previously existing pupil linked document from the old server, it first says that it will be opened 'Read Only', and then prompts for a location to download the file to. Once downloaded, the file is always 0-sized.

Both the server and the client machine have Office 2003 installed, and the same problem occurs even if I run SIMS .Net on the server itself.

It could of course be that the old server was already corrupted (but I'm not able to check that until next week).

Stephen

Thank Post

You have tell the DMS service which folder to use by using the dmconfig command.

If you don't it will use the default C:\DOCSTORAGE but the SIMS SQL databse is still referring to documents on the S:\... path

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    You have tell the DMS service which folder to use by using the dmconfig command.

If you don't it will use the default C:\DOCSTORAGE but the SIMS SQL databse is still referring to documents on the S:\... path
    It is already using the correct path - running dmconfig /T gives:

Code:
    C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net Document Server>dmconfig /T
    Testing server:
     Protocol: http
     Port: 8080
     Directory: S:\DOCSTORAGE
    http://localhost:8080/DocumentServer.rem
    Server is running.
    Stephen

Thank Post

have you checked the DOCSTORAGE since the install though just to ensure it hasnt created a dir with IP rather than computer name? I remember there was an update a while ago that created a new folder and used that rather than the original! Also, do the custom reports from the previous install work?

Thank Post

have you checked the DOCSTORAGE since the install though just to ensure it hasnt created a dir with IP rather than computer name?
    Nope, there's just the one folder in there, with the name of the new server.

Also, do the custom reports from the previous install work?
    Custom reports seem to run ok - loading up Excel without any issues.

I've just had a rummage around on the Capita knowledge base again, and it seems likely that the original SIMS server had a problem, since Capita say that 'The "Save as " dialog box is displayed if the name of a file exists in the sql database but the file itself does not exist on the document server'.

I know they did have a server crash at some point not too long ago, which may well have damaged things.

Stephen

Thank Post

that could be the case. It might be worth having a search on the doc server for larger files to see if they still exist.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread