+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Backup - the latest in Technical; Hi all I read the interesting / informative thread here on Edugeek about the various methods people use to backup ...
    msi

Thank Post

SIMS Backup - the latest

Hi all

I read the interesting / informative thread here on Edugeek about the various methods people use to backup SIMS and FMS.

Someone kindly posted an official PDF from Capita (page 2 of the thread) about backing up SIMS, however this was last updated 2008, and I'm looking for a more recent document.

I can't access Capita support site for the following reason:

I'm working for a school which is due to become an Academy in about 60 days. Currently the school gets support and SIMS licensing from the LA however this obviously changes and the school will purchase direct from Capita. In advance of this change, they wanted their SIMS server to be consolidated with their other servers. The LA did not want to assist me with reinstalling SIMS onto another server, providing me with setup disks, or documented procedures (for 'licensing' reasons they can't provide discs) - however I have researched this and managed to get it working with the latest updates, client installations are all tested and working okay, and also switched over to Integrated Authentication (single sign-on, using Active Directory). Please don't ask me why they won't be too helpful, I can't be bothered to get ragey about it now - I want the job done (and want my Christmas back, but that's another story...)

So I'm trying to set up a backup routine that will backup SIMS, FMS, document server, but I'm not sure of the officially supported way from Capita. I looked at the configuration of the old server but could only find scheduled tasks invoking "NonUIB2B.exe" which I have no idea what it does and Google doesn't help me much either...

IN SHORT: if you can tell me the most rock-solid / trouble-free / most-obvious / most-supported way of my backing up SIMS, the SIMS document server, and FMS - without requiring any 3rd party software (7zip command line is okay I suppose) - please tell me!

Thanks in advance,

Mat
    Last edited by msi; 2nd January 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Thank Post
    NonUIB2B.exe -is B2B - you basically log on as B2BSETUP and go routines > data exchange > manage tasks, search, tick a box, save. Walk away, you may however need to create a few (2) folders for the files to exported to before they will send. If your DfE code changes your LA will need create you a new key etc. Basically, this one your LA will be getting you to do\doing it. It's the bane of my existence.

hit
    Thank Post
    By far the simplest method is this ( so long as you don't need sims 24/7):
    Stop the SQL service
    Backup the server
    Start the SQL service

Either script it or setup 3 scheduled tasks for the above.

Thank Post
    What version of SQL server software are you running? if its the full SQL server with SQL manager you can use this to backup. I can give you instructions if you have the full version.

Thank Post

Backing Up FMS, SIMS .net & Document storage

• First Thing is to setup your backup location:

Run the following from within the "setups" folder within the SIMS Folder.

setsimsbackupfolder.exe /SERVER=127.0.0.1\sims2008 /DATABASE=SIMS /BACKUP_PATH="D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS2008\MSSQL\Backup" /USER=sa /PASSWORD=*******

**If not running on server that has SQL Installed then change the IP address to SQL Server. The Backup Path you specify what you want. Password is what every your sa password has been set to.

• FMS Backup

From where every you have SQL installed the BINN Folder (this time the FMSSQL folder as it is a different dbattach file), if you are not sure check sims.ini from C:\windows.
    cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS2008\MSSQL\Binn\FMSSQL"
    DBATTACH.exe /BACKUP /AUTO /SERVER=127.0.0.1\sims2008 /User=sa /Password=******* /DATABASE=FMS

** Note change name to match database, if you have more than one FMS database then just copy the last line changing the database name.

• Backup of Document Storage

All I have ever done is stop the service copy the folder and start the service.

Here is Capita's advice
    Backing Up

Locate the SIMS Document Management Server’s Local document storage location. This will be the location specified during installation of the SIMS Document Management Server, usually C:\Docstorage.

If you do not know where the local document storage location is, there is a utility that can be used to find out. The utility is found in the directory in which the SIMS Document Management Server has been installed, usually C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net Document Server.

To use the utility, you need to access DOS:

1. Select Start | Run from the Taskbar to open the Run dialog.

2. Enter command and press Enter to open the DOS Command Prompt.

3. Change directory to the location of the SIMS Document Management Server by entering e.g.

cd \Program Files\Sims\SIMS .net Document Server (or wherever it is installed,
    including spaces) and pressing Enter.

4. Enter dmconfig /D (including the space) and press Enter to display Information about the installation of the SIMS Document Management Server.

5. This would give an example of the directory in which the Local document storage location resides e.g. C:\Docstorage.

6. Note down the details of the Protocol, Port and Directory.

7. Type Exit and then press Enter to exit DOS.

8. You can now backup the Local document storage to a suitable location, by using
    Windows® Explorer to copy the folder in Local Document Storage location to a backup medium or to another safe location on the network.

• SIMS .net Backup

From where every you have SQL installed the BINN Folder, if you are not sure check sims.ini from C:\windows.
    cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS2008\MSSQL\Binn"
    DBATTACH.exe /BACKUP /AUTO /SERVER=127.0.0.1\sims2008 /User=sa /Password=******* /DATABASE=SIMS

I have some VBScripts that I use to move backup so that I keep a seven day rolling backup on local server, I use this as another backup incase the main backup fails wether it be tapes or offsite backup. If you need any more help just private message me and I will be happy to help you.

Rob

msi

Thank Post
    Thanks SO much for your help, everyone. Loads of options for me.

Yes, it's SQL Server 2008 Full...

And thanks matt40k for the advice re B2B. I had no idea (still have no idea) what it was, but now at least I know how to set it up, which is a great start

Thank Post
    Why would you use scripts etc when the full sql software has export and backup functionality built in. It can keep x no of days of backups and tidy the database while it backs up and is the recommended Microsoft way to backup an SQL database.

Thank Post
    To do a sql backup.

(This is from memory)
    click management in tree
    right click on maintenance in tree and choose new (use the wizard)
    Pick the database to backup
    choose full
    choose to create a new backup file for each database
    choose the folder to backup to
    in the file extension type bac
    might be a few other bits but think that's about it.

You can also setup a maintenance task that will delete backups older than x days.

Remeber to right click on sql server agent in list and click start or nothing will happen.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    My thoughts are in that thread so i wont reiterate the lot. I don't think the document has changed as i'd have taken it off SupportNet at the time ( i think ).
    All i will say is, if you have moved servers, make sure you do a dbattach - Detach, and Reattach, at least once. to make sure you have all the logins stored in the db, they probably are anyway now if it's all working.
    After that, i don't like the stopping services business, and not too keen on scripting dbattach either.
    I just schedule backups in management studio, and at the moment, just do one nightly. Also have it set up to email me with success / failure, so i can keep an eye on it. I posted about it somewhere, but can't find it at the mo', wasn't in mis forum, probably windows server / sql related.
    Once .bak s are made, zip and tidy, using tidybackups from @matt40k
    Use the standard site backup system to copy the docstore, i don't think the service needs stopping, you can just copy it out and restore if required, also get it to take the zips you've created too and dump them to tape.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread