+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Solus3 Agent will not install on server [Solved] in Technical; I have installed Solus 3 on a number of servers sucessfully. On this particular one (Windows 2003 R2 64bit) the ...

Thank Post

Unhappy Solus3 Agent will not install on server [Solved]

I have installed Solus 3 on a number of servers sucessfully. On this particular one (Windows 2003 R2 64bit) the agent that is reposible for the Solus 3 management will not install. The message asks to make sure WMI is enabled through the firewall but the firewall is off.

Since this has just worked on several similar servers with identical configurations I am missing a trick here but am at a loss to know what it is

What should I be looking for?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianswalker View Post
    I have installed Solus 3 on a number of servers sucessfully. On this particular one (Windows 2003 R2 64bit) the agent that is reposible for the Solus 3 management will not install. The message asks to make sure WMI is enabled through the firewall but the firewall is off.

Since this has just worked on several similar servers with identical configurations I am missing a trick here but am at a loss to know what it is

What should I be looking for?
    I wouldn't have thought it would work on Windows 2003. Anyway, what you should be looking for is a guy called @matt40k - he's the resident expert and if he's not busy making eggnog, he'll be able to give you some pointers. I can imagine, he'll need some more info if possible, like the difference to the other servers.

Thank Post
    Sorry - Windows Server 2003 R2

Thank Post
    Is the firewall off or on? Do you just use the Windows Firewall?

Currently banging my head as I've got it on Windows Server 2008 R2 - I must have missed something off my list - I normally do it as a group policy and the key bit is the allow remote administration.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Is the firewall off or on? Do you just use the Windows Firewall?

Currently banging my head as I've got it on Windows Server 2008 R2 - I must have missed something off my list - I normally do it as a group policy and the key bit is the allow remote administration.
    off according to OP, but i wonder if there's another firewall or security software in play

Thank Post
    Mmm... might be worth a gpresult on one of the machines. Mine was only on the actual server, turns out if you don't enter any creds it it works! Weird.

Thank Post
    The firewall is definitely off. Sophos AV is installed but the firewall in that product is off also. The strange thing is that the set-up seems to be identical to the other 15 servers that I have done and they have all been fine. Clearly there must be something different about this one. I really need a pointer to where I might start to look.

Thank Post
    Hang on, servers? Can you expand on how your networks setup? Do you have multiple terminal service servers or something? Or is this a LA setup? What version are you installing?

Thank Post
    Nothing special here. All servers are on separate independent sites. I mention the number so to avoid being asked a lot of routine questions.
    Solus 3.4.64.0 is the version being installed. It is on a Windows 2003 R2 x64 server. The process of installation goes fine. After registering the site and telling Solus which server is hosting the deployment service an agent is usually automatically installed on said server to handle the Solus 3 environment. On this server it fails with the message that no information could be obtained from the remote machine. It suggests that WMI is not enabled through the firewall but the firewall is not running! So why can't this information be obtained? As I said on all the other installations I have performed this process has gone through without a problem. I think all the servers used have the same configuration but clearly here something is different but I can't find what it is. Of course to find the difference you need to know where to look and this is where I need some help

Thanks

Thank Post
    Is Sophos on all the servers too? The AV part wouldn't block access to something would it.

Thank Post
    The Sophos AV does have Firewall but this is turned off too

Thank Post
    I think it's to do with the Crypto stuff which is normally in: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys - not sure what happened but I think it's basically corrupt, moving it out and (re)installing the agent worked - just remember to leave the user\pass box empty if it prompts you.

Personally log a call with Capita - took them about 30 secs once they got connected.

Thank Post
    Genius!

That fixed it
    Thanks very much

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread