+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Upgrading to SOLUS3 in Technical; Hi all We are still in SOLUS 2, had our Autumn update done, and is working fine. Is there a ...

Thank Post

Thumbs up Upgrading to SOLUS3

Hi all

We are still in SOLUS 2, had our Autumn update done, and is working fine. Is there a need to upgrade to SOLUS 3? I have heard that there are lots of issues with SIMS getting updated through SOLUS 3 workstation agents.

Has anyone had any difficult experiences with SOLUS 3? Does the workstations and (laptops on wireless) has to be left ON at the same time as the SOLUS 3 update or any other special user permissions required for Windows 7?

Thankyou
    Prince

Thank Post
    There are guides for Solus 3 on Capita Supportnet, including a step by step configuration guide. You do have to open some ports on the client and server firewalls, apart from that you're ok.

Thank Post
    Hi Teejay

Thankyou for the reply. Is it just easy as SOLUS 2?

1) When a staff member logs in and start SIMS, will it finish the update in the SOLUS 2 way?
    2) Does the laptop need a restart?

We are worried that laptop users will come in (after an upgrade has been done) and will no longer be able to use SIMS, as their laptops will not be upgraded straight away...
    Last edited by prozario; 14th December 2011 at 04:33 PM.

Thank Post
    I'd be interested to know the answers to those questions as well.

We have a lot of staff laptops that are used for SIMS and the current way it upgrades for SOLUS2 works well for the staff laptops which makes me reluctant to upgrade to SOLUS3.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi we have around 100 - 150 members of staff thats if my memory serves me right. Deploying SOLUS3 isn’t that hard really you basically tell the server
    1) Where your SIMS / FMS / Doc store
    2) Tell it where your setups directory is
    3) tell it where you’re FMS / connect.ini is
    Once you have done all of that you can either do a whole mass install of the client or 2 install the client bit by bit. But like with any software at first it can be tricky also you need make sure that if you use wds or similar process you can’t install the client along with that image. If you want any more questions then I’m happy to put you in touch with my data manager. But it does make our lives a lot easier in deploying updates

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashm View Post
    I'd be interested to know the answers to those questions as well.

We have a lot of staff laptops that are used for SIMS and the current way it upgrades for SOLUS2 works well for the staff laptops which makes me reluctant to upgrade to SOLUS3.
    If they are marked as Offline when the update applies, when they go online they will apply it. So it should be upgrade before they even click SIMS - rather then having to wait for it to upgrade. Laptops on WiFi - I would schedule it ahead of time - so it applies in a few days\weeks time - this will allow SOLUS3 to push out the installers - it won't apply them on the workstation until the scheduled time AND once it's upgrades the database etc successfully. The workstation basically won't do it until the S3 server tells it too... it's good like that

Thank Post
    Ooh that does sound good - scheduling ahead of time. How does the SOLUS3 mark the computer/laptop as online eg if the laptop is in sleep mode then connected to the network with SIMS subsequently being run. Does it just ping the computer - I vaguely remember reading that in another thread.

Thanks

Thank Post
    They introduce a heartbeat in the latest version of SOLUS3 to combat this exact problem. I'll let you know how it works out in the morning

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread