+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, CommandReporter problem in Technical; I wish to export some data from Sims on a regular basis using VBA. I have created and saved a ...

Thank Post

Question CommandReporter problem

I wish to export some data from Sims on a regular basis using VBA. I have created and saved a report definition in Sims which creates an xls file. I can run this report in Sims although I have to enable macros before I can see it. I have created the following statement in my application:
    ShellWait crPath+" /USER:" + userName + "/PASSWORD:" + simsPassword + " /REPORT:" + reportName + " /OUTPUT:" + importFolder + importFile, vbMinimizedFocus
    The application provides the parameters (importFolder + importFile are the destination path and filename).
    When run no error is reported, but the xls file is not created.
    Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong.
    A solution would benefit a number of different schools who use my application.

Thank Post
    VBA - So your trying to get an Excel document to run the report to create a Excel document??

Thank Post
    No. I have created a report definition in SIMS which produces the correct data when run and the data saved manually. As I understand it CommandReporter should create the same effect, saving the data to the specified location. But it doesn't.

Thank Post
    The command report tool allows you to run SIMS reports outsite of SIMS with the specified settings. Contact Partner Support and they'll send you info on how to use it (or you might have to request it via one of your SIMS schools if you don't have a license - not sure how it works).

You can either run it as a batch file or embedded it in an application.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhbishop2 View Post
    I wish to export some data from Sims on a regular basis using VBA. I have created and saved a report definition in Sims which creates an xls file. I can run this report in Sims although I have to enable macros before I can see it. I have created the following statement in my application:
    ShellWait crPath+" /USER:" + userName + "/PASSWORD:" + simsPassword + " /REPORT:" + reportName + " /OUTPUT:" + importFolder + importFile, vbMinimizedFocus
    The application provides the parameters (importFolder + importFile are the destination path and filename).
    When run no error is reported, but the xls file is not created.
    Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong.
    A solution would benefit a number of different schools who use my application.
    It might just be a typo, but there's no space between your username and password.

Also, if your application is providing the parameters, you need to specify the location of an XML based paramfile with the "/paramfile:[path to XML]" option in Command Reporter

There are many threads on this site with great information on the CLR tool, just do a search for Command Reporter or CLR on here

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread