+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Bulk Delete of old records (staff and students) in Technical; Originally Posted by jonrose Hi glennda, I may be wrong here so you will need to check with your LA, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrose View Post
    Hi glennda, I may be wrong here so you will need to check with your LA, but we have a Retention Guidelines document provided by our LA that says paper records are required to be kept "DOB of the pupil + 25 years". This would suggest to me that the files are only needed to be kept for 9 years (10 to be safe) from leaving school at 16.

When it comes to the SIMS data, I would think it would be a good idea to keep that as it is a reference for people to come back to years down the line to find out their assessment data etc. Sounds ridiculous but I recently had someone call and enquire about info on a student who attended back in the 1950s. Theres no way that we would still have that data, and its an extreme example, but it would be useful to have the data stored to be accessed in such instances in future.
    It might be that i only heard in brief conversation - it may have made a mistake

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrose View Post
    Hi glennda, I may be wrong here so you will need to check with your LA, but we have a Retention Guidelines document provided by our LA that says paper records are required to be kept "DOB of the pupil + 25 years". This would suggest to me that the files are only needed to be kept for 9 years (10 to be safe) from leaving school at 16.
    I've attached the document I think you're refering to.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. Thanks to matt40k from:

jonrose (9th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thats the one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    I thought the student one was longer than normal. That makes sense. Though keeping it in perpetuity seems a bit overkill. Surely we should have taught them about how to keep and backup their data. They shouldn't need their high school assessment data, once they have got their degrees! I would imagine, we'd just refer them to the exam boards, where they pay to get a search done in their name and get a certificate if one was found.

In terms of staff then, if it is useful to maintain a record, fair enough, but i would imagine it's okay to remove the NI numbers / bank details, after a year of someone leaving. No need for that, so long as you've got name and contract times.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=vikpaw;767414They shouldn't need their high school assessment data, once they have got their degrees! I would imagine, we'd just refer them to the exam boards, where they pay to get a search done in their name and get a certificate if one was found.[/QUOTE]
    Yes but... you would need some way of knowing which exam board to refer them to for that particular subject.

Thank Post
    Generally you stick with a particular exam board one the subject has found one they like.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Generally you stick with a particular exam board one the subject has found one they like.
    Not always. A number of our departments changed exam boards with the last change of specifications, or following the arrival of new Heads of Department. Assuming these aren't isolated incidents, one subject could have used a number of different boards over the last 20 years.

Thank Post
    Not exactly rock science working it out. Alot of the data you need to keep can be found else where. I wouldn't be suprised to find in 20 years time a folder with this years exams results on the SIMS share. It's just a question of choosing the best method that doesn't cause too much trouble, ie if it's in SIMS great, leave it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    I've known people that have experienced this @enjay, and the onus is on them. If they lose their certificate, they have to apply to a couple of exam boards. In practise a school will use a range of boards, so you can apply to them all, i don't think the search is subject specific, it's 'you' specific.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Exam boards also merge and change over the years, so finding an old certificate for a course no longer run is equally difficult. Having information held by the school can cut down on the work to get replacement certificates.

Schools will change their exam board far more regularly now ... especially as Govt requirements change as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12