+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, NovaT6 export to SQL funtion in Technical; Hi I have NovaT6 setup as a satellite install on our Timetabler's laptop and computer and although he has the ...
    Thank Post

NovaT6 export to SQL funtion

Hi

I have NovaT6 setup as a satellite install on our Timetabler's laptop and computer and although he has the relevant SIMS permissions (Timetabler), he doesn't appear to be able to export to SQL without getting prompted to enter credentials before the Transfer wizard appears. To work around this he's currently using a full access user but this obviously isn't ideal.

Anyone else had this problem and know what I need to do to allow access on his normal permissions? Capita support have been coy in supporting this which makes me think they don't know what the cause is.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Whenever you do an export from T6 to SIMS it always asks for your username/password here, presumably from a security point of view and to prevent accidental transfers?(or are you saying it doesn't happen on any other computer?)

Thank Post
    With Timetabler SIMS permissions this shouldn't prompt for credentials. It won't even accept the timetablers credentials so isn't simply a safetynet. I have a test machine myself which doens't prompt for credentials for the same user so reckon this has something to do with NTFS permissions on a file somewhere but have already relaxed this a fair amount so am a little unsure what else I can try.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    On a normal workstation, it could go through if you were using credentials linked to AD, but that might not work on a satellite. Mine goes through with no password. The timetabler has to provide credentials, i'm guessing the same happens on a satellite. Though we tend to move the dataset from satellite to main PC before it's sent.

In the days of T4, you'd have a login to Nova as well, and that would control what you could do.

When you say he's using a full access user, what do you mean? He's having to use a sysman type account for the credentials to send..? Or do you mean the PC account. Is the test machine a satellite too?

They'll need permissions on the local folders, C drive, windows, temp, etc, as well as on the SIMS share, for the snova / etc. folders.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by randle View Post
    With Timetabler SIMS permissions this shouldn't prompt for credentials. It won't even accept the timetablers credentials so isn't simply a safetynet. I have a test machine myself which doens't prompt for credentials for the same user so reckon this has something to do with NTFS permissions on a file somewhere but have already relaxed this a fair amount so am a little unsure what else I can try.
    As the Timetabler for 3 decades or so and a user of Nova for what seems for ever (way before it belonged to Capita/SIMS), I welcome the fact that I have to insert my user name and password everytime that I need to create a new Maintenance Dataset and again to send that Dataset to SQL.
    I would not want this to be automatic - for me it is a safeguard for my Timetable which, after all, is the basis around which the rest of the SIMS functions! Your Timetabler should be glad that this protection exists!
    This is normal procedure! It is probably also why Capita are so 'coy'! If they advise schools on how to bypass this system, and something does go amiss, then there could be some comeback on Capita systems and the advice they have given!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 6th December 2011 at 07:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Regardless of whether it's welcomed or not it never used to happen here and doesn't on my test machine and as far as Capita are concerned it shouldn't be either! There's also a wizard that you need to go through before the actual transfer is final so isn't that this action is final and irriversable! Even if it was a case of simply entering credentials as a precaution, it wouldn't be so much of an issue but it's not accepting the Timetabler's credentials and requires sysman level access to perform this task so something isn't right.

The test machine is a satellite installation too which is why I'm a tad baffled.

NTFS permissions look ok so doesn't look like it's that.
    Last edited by randle; 6th December 2011 at 11:08 AM.

Thank Post
    I follow what you are saying and everybody works differently.

Personally, I would never connect my Satellite NT6 (and I have 2 different ones - Home PC and Laptop!) directly to the SIMS Network.
    There is too big a risk of the different installations not being synchronised. That is why I would save a modified satellite .spl to a data stick or, even better, to my Dropbox folder, and then load it in to SIMS via my School Workstation's installation of NT6.
    Doing it that way ensures that each instance has an up-to-date dataset!

Horses for courses!

Thank Post
    Hmmm this may be where I'm going wrong. I was under the impression that you had to install NT6 as a satellite to use it in the first place! A regular install of SIMS doesn't appear to install this by default so using what instructions I have and obtained from Capita support, I installed NT6 from the NovaSatelliteSetup.exe file found in the setups dir. If this isn't the way to install NT6 on a networked machine, how should this be done?

Thank Post
    Does this help = from SupportNet.
    KB20319 - Nova-T6 How to access Nova-T6

10. Thanks to Sivadam from:

randle (6th December 2011)

Thank Post
    It should be installed by default, assuming you've paid for the suite and it's licenced. Then if you have permission in SIMS you get the option under the Focus menu. Add yourself to timetabler role and see what you see.

12. Thanks to vikpaw from:

randle (6th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Well I feel like a complete numpty!! What possessed me to think that I needed to install NT6 as a satellite is beyond me!!

How embarrassing....Can you delete threads on here...don't want any evidence of my stupidity!!

This is working as expected now that I've removed the satellite installed folders from the computers. Sorry for wasting your time and will have to learn to use my brain from now on

Thank Post
    Don't beat yourself up about it. We all have to learn. I have lost count of the number of stupid bits of advice that I have dished out on SupportNet forums - mainly from not reading the threads correctly but partly to do with senility setting in!

As a matter of interest, if you do not use SupportNet then I suggest that you do. It is easy to find solutions to problems via the Solution Search facilty (where the KB came from!). And if you can't, then there are some very experienced users on the SupportNet Forums!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 6th December 2011 at 08:31 PM.

Thank Post
    It's not stupidity mate, it's just a lack of the right knowledge. Your support team should have been able to direct you.
    You should get yourself access to SupportNet http://support.capitaes.co.uk/newlogin/login.asp as all the resources are on there.
    This thread will be useful for someone else making the same mistakes, and will appear on searches, so you're doing the community a favour

Thank Post
    I know, I know. It's just when you look back over and realize that it's called a "Satellite" installation for a reason

I have in the past used SupportNet forums but when looking noticed that it seemed to be mainly LA support rather than school tech support posting there. Not that it made much difference as still posted anyway but do prefer to post here as is one place for all problems which so far has worked out quite well for me.

Thanks again guys

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by randle View Post
    .... I have in the past used SupportNet forums but when looking noticed that it seemed to be mainly LA support rather than school tech support posting there. Not that it made much difference as still posted anyway but do prefer to post here as is one place for all problems which so far has worked out quite well for me...
    There are two sets of Forums on SupportNet. One is for the LAs and other SIMS Support Units. The second is for Schools! Never the twain shall meet is supposed to be the rule!
    However, the Capita Product Managers sometimes post to the Forums. Otherwise, it is just School Users on the School site, and there are some very, very experienced ones too! The Forums are intended for self-help! It's a pity that the two audiences are separate in some ways, as LAs can learn from Schools and vice versa!
    If you had posted this issue in SupportNet then I would have been on to it quicker than I was in here!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast