+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Setting up automated general reminders of assessment deadlines on SIMS in Technical; Hi all, I'd like to be able to set up a system on SIMS whereby I can remind teaching staff ...

Thank Post

Question Setting up automated general reminders of assessment deadlines on SIMS

Hi all,

I'd like to be able to set up a system on SIMS whereby I can remind teaching staff of assessment deadlines, similar to an alarm system on personal organiser software. Currently we are using the school diary and inserting the reminder as a multiday event which seems really inelegant to me (and clogs up the diary as well). I know that SIMS does have the facility to set up reminders but it seems only to cover student related issues (free school meal eligibility, part-time attendance and medical), SEN issues and Admission reminders. I need to remind staff about assessments and interims. I also want to ensure that it is visible to all teaching staff. I know that I could send a daily message but I don't consider that to be very elegant either and likely to be ignored after the first two anyway.

Any bright ideas would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

RS

Thank Post
    gpo -> user config ->gpp -> start menu -> startup folder

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    The person in charge of assessment just emails them various milestones with a reminder just before the deadline. No real need to do it through SIMs, if Outlook is where they store all other reminders. You could i suppose even schedule an event if you really wanted and invite people to it, so it get's added to their calendars.

4. Thanks to vikpaw from:

RedSpider (5th December 2011)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I still do it manually. It means I can eyeball the data first and spot any other errors such as missing potentials or incorrectly set up marksheets. You also start noticing the repeat offenders for extra close checking!

6. Thanks to CAM from:

RedSpider (5th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Anythings got to be better than the system i use.
    • Put all dates in outlook calendar.
    • Publish dates in staff hand book/diary (that every member of staff gets)
    • Reminders at head of department meeting for the three weeks before a dealine
    • Reminders at weekly briefing to staff two weeks before
    • Reminders at weekly meetings the week of deadline
    • Shouting it down the corridor every day when the deadline is due.
    • Visiting knows individuals who always miss the deadline in the run-up to assessments to remind them personally
    • Placing deadhorse head in the beds of staff who miss the deadline
    finally sitting in my office rocking backwards and forwards repeating the phrase, "assessments are due, assessments are due!" until the people in white coats take me away.

someitme i think they are al ignoring me

edit: assesment due at the end of this week and have alreay had the classic conversation "what do we record again" and "how do we know what the levels are" FFS

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    I also send an email to all staff reminding them when deadlines are coming up.

As an extra measure, I have gotten staff in the routine of ticking the "Completed" box when they're done (though some staff tick this before it's done, which is irritating!). I've then set up a report to list all those incomplete marksheets with the teachers name so I can contact them when deadlines are nearly up/just passed/so long ago the kids have left.

I've been meaning to write a macro in to that report for a while that automatically emails all the teachers with incomplete marksheets so I don't have to sit there copying and pasting but I've not gotten round to it yet!

Thank Post
    This shouldn't be our job as SIMS / Data managers. Someone higher up the chain should be responsible for assessments in the school, as per the assessment policy. It is our job to make sure the system works, help them use it, and report back to the person in charge. If they don't meet deadlines it's a professional issue to be handled by head of department or line manager, we shouldn't have to come in the way, apart from maybe providing the managers with a report to say what's missing. Ideally department heads should check 'their' marksheets to know it's all in, and valid.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Ideally department heads should check 'their' marksheets to know it's all in, and valid.
    That's also part of our policy. TBH i'm sick of hearing "when have i got time to check x number of marksheets" from Heads of department. I always feel like it implies i've got lots of time on my hands to check a few thousand myself in my spare time (between forum posts at least).

my systems are damn near perfect at times if i could just get staff to do there part and do the input.

Thank Post
    They get paid extra to 'manage' staff. If they don't do as they are told, print them as they are ! Let the teacher / HoD explain to parents why little joe didnt get a grade / comment.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Open paper yes, it's their job. In reality, I am even chasing HODs for their assessments after data entry deadlines have passed. The HOD or teacher won't get it in the neck from parents, the poor admin staff who are dealing with that key stage will instead.

Thank Post
    There should be a member of the Senior Leadership Team with overall responsibility for assessment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread