+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, CLR /Params String in Technical; I think DOS is limited to 1023 characters or something....

Thank Post
    I think DOS is limited to 1023 characters or something.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I think DOS is limited to 1023 characters or something.
    See my initial thought was that perhaps it was a character limit causing the problem, however if this was the case I would not expect any of the filters to have worked, as the incomplete XML would be invalid, whereas what I actually got was that my "effective date" and "year group" filters worked but the "date range" never did. Very odd...

Thank Post
    Mmm... depends how clever Windows is at invalid XML I guess, quick check would be to re-arrange it. Personally I would prefer referencing an .XML file.

Thank Post
    Mmm... depends how clever Windows is at invalid XML I guess
    Not at all - XML passed as a string to CLR means nothing to Windows, it's just a command line argument...

Personally I would prefer referencing an .XML file
    For me the benefit of not having to write to a file to create an XML to reference is that it removes any possible errors in my program caused by permissions restrictions for the user

Thank Post
    You would write it to a temp folder or somewhere they can - OK, you still could get disc errors, but if they only have a few MB left, they'll have problems anyway. Bonus of having a physical XML is that you have something to debug.

Thank Post
    You would write it to a temp folder or somewhere they can - OK, you still could get disc errors, but if they only have a few MB left, they'll have problems anyway. Bonus of having a physical XML is that you have something to debug.
    OK what I'm getting at is that it's fine if you know the network of your user and know what permissions they have, but if for instance I shared the program with you I couldn't possibly know what read/write access you have. I could give the option to change the temporary file location of course, but it would all be a lot simpler and easier if I didn't have to write temp files in the first place; that's all I'm saying

I had to add a "debug" mode in to the program anyway to make sure the XML was being formatted properly

It's no major issue, I'm just saying it's easier from a developer's point of view if you can remove the need for temp files

EDIT: just to add, I've no intention of selling off this program I'm just discussing the workings of CLR in the interest of the community - the more of us that know how to use it the more chance we have of manipulating the data the way we want it!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 12th December 2011 at 04:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Is it just the date range as we found before? Can you rejig the report to utilise date before and date after, although complex, i'm sure this worked for that guy in the other thread.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    EDIT: just to add, I've no intention of selling off this program I'm just discussing the workings of CLR in the interest of the community - the more of us that know how to use it the more chance we have of manipulating the data the way we want it!
    It's always good to think what if others use it, after all, at somepoint your going to refresh most of your network. So what language is your program written?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Is it just the date range as we found before? Can you rejig the report to utilise date before and date after, although complex, i'm sure this worked for that guy in the other thread.
    I haven't tried that Vik - definitely worth a go though! At least that way we can narrow it down a bit... I do have plans to incorporate conduct points in to the report which I will also use a Date Range for so I'll see then whether it's specifically attendance that has problems or the Date Range field itself. I'll have a play over Christmas break.

It's always good to think what if others use it, after all, at somepoint your going to refresh most of your network. So what language is your program written?
    It's written in C#.net - not pretty I know but it cuts development time down to nothing! Took me a morning to write the main part of the program and create the GUI, then 6 weeks debugging this problem! lol. Admittedly I didn't touch it again until I heard from Capita though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12