+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, New CMIS Database on same server? in Technical; Hi, We currently have CMIS and ePortal installed on our Admin Server to serve our Primary School side. Would it ...
    RTi

Thank Post

New CMIS Database on same server?

Hi,

We currently have CMIS and ePortal installed on our Admin Server to serve our Primary School side. Would it be possible to have another instance of CMIS and ePortal installed on same server to be used by our Children's Centre? (we cant just add the CC Pupils onto the school system..due to census and other reasons.)

if anyone has any advice.. i'd greatly appreciate it..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    I see no reason why you couldn't have another instance of SQL, this shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure about CMIS or E-Portal. As E-Portal uses IIS, you may need to use a different port for example.

Have you asked Link2ICT about it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RTi View Post
    Hi,

We currently have CMIS and ePortal installed on our Admin Server to serve our Primary School side. Would it be possible to have another instance of CMIS and ePortal installed on same server to be used by our Children's Centre? (we cant just add the CC Pupils onto the school system..due to census and other reasons.)

if anyone has any advice.. i'd greatly appreciate it..
    You want what I have. I have 2x SQL Databases, and when I open Facility I get two in the recent list and choose from the DB I want and it works great. However, ePortal can only be in one system so you would need to install ePortal on a second box for the children's centre on another box or VM and point it back to that DB. Not too much hassle realy.

However how does the licensing apply for what you are doing in Birmingham as I assume you are licenses via the LA and would they be happy for you to do that?

RTi

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies..

I have contacted our LA regarding licenses and installation costs.. thought I'd post on here to see if it was possible ?

does the extra database put a greater load on server resources? we do have a spare VM but would need a SQL server licence.. also been looking at open source options..as it's mainly for electronic registration and attendance reports..

Thank Post
    Hi,

You can add another SQL database on a different instance of SQL, or in the same instance.
    ePortal, you can run multiple installs on the same machines but this is usually done for large scale implementations only and there is a lot of manual installations, scripting and training needed. it isn't a viable option really for just having 2 database on one box.
    If you have processor licenses for SQL on that server, add the second database to that box. That will get around needing extra SQL licensing. If you have CALs you'll need to consider that.

ePortal / Facility licensing you'll need to sort out through the LA as you are doing. ePortal can go on that spare VM. Facility (primary version) can be installed wherever you like it won't make a difference.

If they're just using it for attendance, the overhead on the SQL server will be negligable but the overhead to ePortal will always be considerable, so that's another reason to put it on its own VM.

Mic @ Serco

All posts are my own personal opinion and not necessarily those of my employers or others who I work with or represent

RTi

Thank Post
    Thanks for that detailed post.. I can raise those options with the LA when they get back to me..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread