+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS .net Autumn Release pulled in Technical; Originally Posted by enjay I disagree with that so much! Accepting that complete testing is not possible, either by us ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    I disagree with that so much! Accepting that complete testing is not possible, either by us or by Capita, the basics you list are something which capita can test. Something deep in the bowels of SIMS not working is understandable, possibly even excusable, however problems with fundamentals like class lists and pastoral structure are simply unacceptable.
    re-read the post.
    Who is affected:

Customers who have Registration groups which
    have been in different year groups in the past. This could be caused by a number
    of reasons including:

1) At some point in the past the school have
    amended their pastoral structure to include a mix of Horizontal and Vertical
    Year groups. The registration groups would therefore have moved years from Year
    1/Year 2 to Year 2 for example.

2) The school have decided to rename a
    registration group and assign it to a different year. In other words, instead of
    creating a new registration group for someone they have renamed an existing one
    and moved its year.

What effect does it have?:
    In SIMS it will appear as though a new Year has been created (for example Year
    1/Year 2) and it will appear to take some of the Registration groups with it.
    To be fair to Capita, they're now going to test this scenerio in every future build

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Obviously it's no surprise. When was the last time a perfect piece of software was released to the public? Only when entire games/programs occupied less pages of code than you can count on both hands and were on certain rubber-keyed computers.
    Capita have to be particularly careful though; unlike a game or version of Office, a tiny flaw in their MIS system could cause major problems that have an impact on school's finances, resouces, staffing - just about anything and everything. I think we'd all agree they are better to pull a release until such problems are solved rather than waiting to patch it, if that's even possible. There will be very few people in the country that have as close a grasp on this as Mr Neal here, so despite my dislike of Capita as a company will happily believe what he says is for the best.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I still stand by my statement, you can't test everything. Mostly issues are related to nuances at particular schools. Everybody does their timetable differently, has different reports / subreports, changed their pastoral structure / didn't change their structure, you can't test all of that. Things a school has done wrong in the past can have an effect on future usage. That's why there are so many site specific patches. A school shouldn't have to, but is the only person who really can do a thorough test.

@Sivadam can attest to the fact that his school finds more faults than any other, because of the level of usage they have with SIMS and fine tuning that's been done.

To be honest, i think Capita should hold more school data and be allowed to test on it. I've offered mine but it's not allowed. I used to keep a copy of my data there regularly so it's ready for testing if i do get an issue. When there is an issue the last resort is for them to look at your data, i don't see why they can't keep it from schools who give permission, run an anonymiser on names / birthdates and phone numbers if they have to. so they have more real test data. Not all schools can take part in UAT, but if capita did it for you, then you'd have more confidence in it.

For our part, we really have to do at least basic testing. We do so much in SIMS now, we couldn't live without it for even a few hours. That's even before we make it available externally!

In an ideal world the updates would be backwards compatible to the point where you could rollback an upgrade if it went funny, but keep any new data that may have been recorded.

Thank Post
    I disagree with that so much! Accepting that complete testing is not possible, either by us or by Capita, the basics you list are something which capita can test. Something deep in the bowels of SIMS not working is understandable, possibly even excusable, however problems with fundamentals like class lists and pastoral structure are simply unacceptable.
    Isn't this abit of a cheeky comment when a couple of posts back is:

No, for three reasons:
    1) time
    2) can't test everything
    3) shouldn't have to. I don't do that with any other company's software.

Thank Post
    I don't see why you think it is cheeky - in both posts I state that I believe that Capita should test the software before release.

Thank Post
    We do test the software endlessly but sometimes errors are invisible until they get out into the field. Every release goes through unit, system, UAT and advanced release to try to get it right. I'm afraid that humans will always make errors but we do everything we can to double and tripple check. I'm very concerned that these errors occurred because there was clearly a process failure - in this case the error is obvious when it occurs but it doesn't go wrong that often so it's difficult to spot unless you have that condition in the data.

Thank Post
    I just find it funny that it was in reponse to someone who does test it despite the fact that you dont test it and here is what you state:

"I disagree with that so much! Accepting that complete testing is not possible, either by us"

It might just be me but i find it cheeky to state how much or how little someone should do testing prior to deployment especially after stating '2) can't test everything' in ref to what you test.

8. Thanks to apeo from:

matt40k (28th November 2011)

Thank Post
    No matter. We all probably read it differently.
    The point is the more of us that test the better it is.
    Is it possible @PhilNeal to release an ISO of the beta so you those schools with test setups can volunteer to do some optional testing, outside of any formalised process. Any heads up on a problem is better than nothing.

Thank Post
    At our LA, we always build a couple of new VM images and upgrade SIMS/FMS to the Beta when it's released, and then then we also build more VM's and upgrade them to the main release before we roll it out to Schools. The VM's are always available to the team so that each officer can test their own area supported areas for any issues. As well as the VM's, We also have a number of different SIMS test setups where different Schools types have allowed us to collect a copy of their data. We use this for testing new releases as well as testing instructions that we are producing to ensure that they are accurate.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    I just find it funny that it was in reponse to someone who does test it despite the fact that you dont test it and here is what you state:

"I disagree with that so much! Accepting that complete testing is not possible, either by us"
    What I meant by "us" was schools in general, not specifically the people at my school.

Thank Post
    If you had a central hosted environment you could have two copies of all the schools data, one live and one beta\training\next release. Ideally you would only want to give this access to certain people however otherwise they could end up entering data onto the wrong system!

Thank Post
    Just posted on Supportnet

*** SIMS 2011 Autumn Release - Please Read 28/11/2011

28/11/2011

We are continuing to investigate possible resolutions for the data issues described below. Work on producing the new SIMS 2011 Autumn release is also continuing. Unfortunately I cannot as yet announce a confirmed date for them. I am hoping to be able to give you more information tomorrow.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this delay might cause you but please be assured that we are doing all we can to resolve this.

Thank Post
    I would like to refer SIMS Users to the following link from the Sticky Items on the SupportNet website.
    Apologies to those that do understand how much testing of SIMS Releases is done.
    Those that don't, may I humbly suggest you read the document.

The link is: User Acceptance Test
    Last edited by Sivadam; 28th November 2011 at 08:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Out of interest, do all LAs / Support companies take part in Beta testing? You'd think it was a must if they are supporting more than even one school.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Out of interest, do all LAs / Support companies take part in Beta testing? You'd think it was a must if they are supporting more than even one school.
    I thought the Beta is made available to every LA in Schools Manager under the Tst1 and Tst2 sites? Seems like a no brainer to install it on to a virtual test system. Capita provide test data if required, but I'm sure if a school is happy for you to collect a backup, there is no reason why you can't test it against a "live" schools data.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast