+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SOLUS3 pkg file issue in Technical; Just installed SOLUS3 into a school and at the moment, the server is the only device listed within the S3 ...

Thank Post

Question SOLUS3 pkg file issue

Just installed SOLUS3 into a school and at the moment, the server is the only device listed within the S3 UI. I've installed S3 manually with the 3.4.24 installer and am trying to deply the S3 3.4.64 package to upgrade itself but it keeps failing with the following entry in the log:

Code:
    2011-11-22 15:44:59.3974|CanExecutePlan()|Error|DS|No target updates have been found in update Solus3 - 3.4.64.0, please download the update again.
    2011-11-22 15:44:59.3974|CanExecutePlan()|Error|DS|Unable to locate any deployment files, please check that the shared repository has write access.
    This is the 11th school I've installed SOLUS3 into and it's no different to the others. The share for the reporstory has been set up correctly and the upgrade package for SOLUS3 is in there. I've renamed the PKG file to .ZIP and have tried opening it in WinZip but it says it's not a valid archive.

Even more strange, I've copied the same file from the server to my PC and I can open it in WinZip with no problems at all! The school are unaware of any software that could be preventing it from opening so I seem to have drawn a blank. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    The error is implying permissions somewhere somehow...?

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Rawns (23rd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    The error is implying permissions somewhere somehow...?
    I'm thought so too, but cannot for the life of me see where! I used a full admin account to install SOLUS3, the shared the SOLUS3 Repository directly is on the root of D: and the SYSTEM account has full read/write access to it so there should be no problem! Installed it using the same process in other schools with no issue at all!

Thank Post
    Sorted. Very strange! Removed the SYSTEM permission on the Repository share and then re-added and it's suddenly working!!!

Thank Post
    Not sure about servers and the system account, just speaking from my experience of win7, having stuff in a root folder and accessing is not easy, even if you think the user has privilege. Though if the same setup works elsewhere, something may be conflicting.
    There's no way to 'runas admin' or something to double check?

EDIT: oh, too late. must be dem gremlins

Thank Post
    Never mind! Thanks anyway @vikpaw

SOLUS3 upgraded itself successfully and Discover is now rolling out! Whatever gremlins hit up this thread must have a base-camp on the school server too!

Thank Post
    @Rawns Having same problem. SIMS suport remoted in, but no joy. Could not remove SYSTEM from permissions as inherited. created completely new share outside of Simsroot and shared, told SOLUS3 of new location. Still no joy. SOLUS3 seems to know when repository is empty, but cannot find file, or update within .pkg. Back to it tomorrow morn. Know it's half term, but if you have any ideas? :-(

Thank Post
    By the way, you can't open open pkg, unless you've got a fair bit of hacking skills and a bit of time on your hands. @CadlaM have you checked the share permissions? I normally give everyone read\write.

Thank Post
    I don't think it's window perms. Why? I recreated a totally different share and directed SOlus to it. Perms for everyone and their brother. The Log error message is as follows, and seems to imply that Solus cannot find a valid target files od deployment files within the package:

"2012-02-13 20:41:35.4203|Execute()|Info|DS|Verifying deployment plan cab53fb1-1797-4b16-af35-1fb64723d390.
    2012-02-13 20:41:36.5824|CanExecutePlan()|Info|DS|Calling proxy for package status check
    2012-02-13 20:41:37.1724|CanExecutePlan()|Info|DS|Deployment plan Solus3 - 3.4.103.0 does not contain withdrawn packages, deployment can be continued.
    2012-02-13 20:41:37.1734|CanExecutePlan()|Error|DS|No target updates have been found in update Solus3 - 3.4.103.0, please download the update again.
    2012-02-13 20:41:37.1734|CanExecutePlan()|Error|DS|Unable to locate any deployment files, please check that the shared repository has write access."

Any thoughts welcome. Capita remoted in as I type and still playing with Win Perms

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadla
    2012-02-13 20:41:37.1734|CanExecutePlan()|Error|DS|Unable to locate any deployment files, please check that the shared repository has write access."
    No, it's permissions. Go into the share, has it created any files? I assume it would have created some files as it's downloaded ok, but has it created a folders however? I'm guessing not. Are you scheduling the deployment in the future or now? Does your currently logged on user have read\write to both the folder and the share? IE go into the folder and create a folder and delete it.

Thank Post
    Manage Updates, Download has created files. not sure I understood "but has it created a folders however?" I am manually doing Deploy for now, so I can control when it happens, It's only 3 times a year, excepting patches. Have just tried running Solus3 bu Run As Admin. Folder has System, Admin, Everyone with Full Control, Folder Share has all and sundry ac Owner or Co-owner. Just tried deleting the SOLUS3 3.4.103 file and re-dowloading it with Run As Admin. I guess SIMS are as stumped as I am.
    Deploy still failed.

Thank Post
    When it comes to shares, on server 2008, i've found there are a couple of routes to control permissions. Some seem to be share permissions for anyone that accesses locally, as opposed to when you access the share remotely. This was on top of ntfs permissions. Worth checking the various routes, right click properties sharing where there are two ways of doing it. As well as through Manage My Computer and sharing MSC. It's weird i never got my head round it fully, but what i thought had been tested and checked on the server didn't match the resultant effect externally. Both share permissions. I don't know if it was to do with new security in 2k8 or just something weird about sharing that i should have learnt on an MCP. Either way, when messing around trying to fix, i used a different method and adding permissions that way sorted it.

The above may not help, but as we've worked out it's a permissions thing, it's worth asking.

Thank Post
    @vickpaw Thanks. Looked all ways. Up, Down and sideways. More sharing than a tin of Quality Street. Everyone and everything has permission to do anything they like with the folder and files. Guess I am going back to Solus2 for Autumn update 2011 as I cannot leave it much longer. I don't even want to try Autumn u/d without the Solus3 update as there are clearly some problems with the version .24 that I have from last August. Like seeing some agents as online even though they are power off!
    Cheers everyone for your input

Thank Post
    have you given the networkservice access to the folder?

Thank Post
    Not sure about networkservice. I can see that I CAN add it as a user, but not Why?
    Bad to Worse - I thought I had better get the Autumn Update out of that way, and as we still have Solus2 installed, used that. Seemed to work OK on the Server, but I now cannot log in to SIMS using windows Auth on any client. Seems that SOLUS3 working or not, you can't use SOLUS2 once it has agents rolled out.
    How the hell do I get back from here? :-(

update: when logged in to SIMS on Server as sysman, and looking at user credentials it appears not to be able to check against AD....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast