+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Email Lists for Teachers Form in Technical; I have been asked to find a way for teachers to have an easy to access list of parent's email ...

Thank Post

Email Lists for Teachers Form

I have been asked to find a way for teachers to have an easy to access list of parent's email addresses for the students in their form. All the emails are in SIMS and I don't hugely want to take the data outside SIMS to do this.

The other option I can see is to export everything from SIMS and to set up public folder lists in Exchange for all forms but that would require a lot of maintenance and has some data protection issues if a tutor decides to just add all addresses to the To: field in an email.

Thank Post
    you are now entering a minefield.

Thank Post
    Sims InTouch?

Thank Post
    I think the main reason for this was to try and strike up more email conversations between the parents and tutors. I assume InTouch does everything through generic school email addresses?

Edit: Is it possible to get a front page panel on the SIMS home page with a list of students in the teachers form which when clickable brings up the student record (which the parent emails can be found in)?
    Last edited by Valentine; 18th November 2011 at 10:18 AM.

Thank Post
    does your VLE support parent access and forums?

Thank Post
    Not currently no.

Hmm I see it is fairly easy to get a class list from the home page in SIMS, that looks like a quite useable way to get email addresses for me.

Thank Post
    If you go to Reports ==> Student lists ==> General student list you get a list of all the pupils in the school. There is a filter tick box to filter the list in all sorts of interesting way (students who are free at certain periods is quite good). You can also use the class list. to get similar lists.

With either list you can then use the drop downs and items on the right of the page to drag different data items onto your list and have them displayed. It's a very good way of getting inforamtion quickly out of SIMS. Might be worth a look (I only found out about the ability to drag the items accross last week, it's cool!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    InTouch would be great, but is an extra module with an extra cost.

It's fairly trivial to get a report to show you the email addresses, however you do have that issue of what they do with them. To be honest, it's down to training, as there is nothing stopping someone keen, from manually looking up the data and copy pasting it into their own outlook (or other email program) as an address list.

You're better off, making it easy for them and training them how to use the data correctly, use the BCC box, don't save the emails - always export fresh data etc.

There was a similar thread recently, which mentioned doing this for all the teachers of a student, and one solution was a report that has a macro to launch outlook and copy the email in, i'm still playing with that.

For now, you can try this report :
    BISJ - Student Contact Emails by bisj.zip

It allows you to select the tutor group, and will give an excel sheet showing the email marked MAIN for all contacts with a priority of 1 or 2. We only have one email marked main as we use schoolcomms (which is another solution), but it should cope if you have more than one marked as main.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I've not got a report working that sends teacher emails straight from the sims output excel sheet into outlook. It could be modified to work with the above report and put the emails into the BCC box, if anyone is interested.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread