+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, How do you create a definition file for extraction of MIS data? in Technical; We are looking at running 3 Squares Conduct Data Online but to set it up need to extract three sets ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How do you create a definition file for extraction of MIS data?

We are looking at running 3 Squares Conduct Data Online but to set it up need to extract three sets of data from SIMS. The data needs to be uploaded as a xml file. I know with other extractions from SIMS we achieve it by running a definition file and am trying to find out how to set about creating definition files for this data? Or is there another way?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    We are looking at running 3 Squares Conduct Data Online but to set it up need to extract three sets of data from SIMS. The data needs to be uploaded as a xml file. I know with other extractions from SIMS we achieve it by running a definition file and am trying to find out how to set about creating definition files for this data? Or is there another way?
    As far as I'm aware, you just create a report in SIMS, select output type as text and there you get the option to output XML. It would of course depend on the system receiving the data being aware of the XML tags used, so I'd hope they would send you some report def files to help you as there are usually many ways of getting the same data from SIMS and the XML tags can vary!

In fact, the XML tags change depending on whether you run the report from SIMS or extract it via CLR!

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

speckytecky (15th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that. What I was looking for is how do I create the *.RptDef file

We use CASPA as well and the extraction of the annual pupil update from SIMS is accomplished using a CASPA Pupil Data Year.Reptdef

Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    As far as I'm aware, you just create a report in SIMS, select output type as text and there you get the option to output XML. It would of course depend on the system receiving the data being aware of the XML tags used, so I'd hope they would send you some report def files to help you as there are usually many ways of getting the same data from SIMS and the XML tags can vary!

In fact, the XML tags change depending on whether you run the report from SIMS or extract it via CLR!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Thanks for that. What I was looking for is how do I create the *.RptDef file
    Ahh I see... first thing is to create the report in SIMS as you would any other report, then simply click through "Reports > Export", select the report you created earlier and it'll be exported in the RptDef format

6. Thanks to LosOjos from:

speckytecky (16th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    But you wouldn't run the report def file to extract data, it's just a way of backing up the report or sending it to another user. Maybe the companies usually send you a file to use.
    You would need to import the report def file, then run the report(s) that it loaded into your sims.
    If you're making your own, there is a tool that allows you to alter the supplier tag too, but i think that's for third party support and LAs mostly.

edit: i'd check with them, exactly what they want, as you'll only need to create a report and then send them the output, not the definition. It should be they who send you the definition so you don't have to make up your own reports as @losojos said.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 16th November 2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: addition

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

speckytecky (16th November 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread